Entry Thread for "Sky Fire" - Ideas Phase

Game Logo

Designed for the 2018 9-Card Nanogame Design Contest

"SkyFire"
# of Players: 2 or 4
Play Time: 10 Minutes

Components:
[9 Cards]
[4] Meeples (1 Blue, 1 Yellow, 1 Green, 1 Orange)
[2] D6 Dice
[10] Cubes of Any 1 Colour
[2] Cubes or Crystals (1 Blue and 1 Yellow)

"Sky Fire" was the only thing people would pay to watch these days. Games of old: Soccer, Basketball, Baseball, Football etc... had lost the interest of the people. But a game of "Sky Fire" drew in the crowds as they streamed into the massive birdcage-like domes. Everyone was eager to see these games come to life as contestants would fight to win. Dawning their Blue and Yellow uniforms, players would clash and excite the crowds. When the speaker would come on and announce "Welcome to Sky Fire" the crowd would roar.

"Sky Fire" is a multiplayer arena combat / capture the flag game using a hex map and simultaneous move selections. Roll a single Die to determine a hit or miss and upgrade your player to increase your odds. No need to roll for defence, if your opponent is in your range after move choices are resolved then roll away. Win through strength by knocking out your opponent 3x or win through speed by capturing the flag 3x.

I'd like to enter "Sky Fire" in:
Best Overall Game
Best 2-Player Game
Best 3 or More Player Game
Best Thematic Game
Best Wargame
Best Written Rules
Best New Designer (Ive entered another open contest that just started so let me know if this still applies*)
Most Innovative Mechanic

Download Links:
Coming Soon

Checkout my other WIP's
- Airheart's Quest
- Kingdoms of Conflict
- Critical Limit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Harmel
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: January 8th 2018

Ive changed both 2 Player and 4 Player Maps. Adding a Medic station where players can heal, and I have removed the Upgrade station and made it automatic that you upgrade when conditions are met.

I have removed the somewhat useless side (Sideways) from the Movement card and added a "wait" action.

I have rearranged some of the station locations so they add more to the play experience rather then being "none decisions".

Whats Next?

Further playtesting on the station locations.

Rule book will be prototyped to enable other play testers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Harmel
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Should I declutter the player cards by changing the reference card into a card for tracking HP/KNOCKOUTS/ and FLAG CAPTURES for both sides? or leave it the same? That would leave only the actual upgrades on the player cards.
Yes
No
Other (Explain in the comments)
      4 answers
Poll created by Tregannon

Yes = Change it.
No = Leave it.

Player Card Example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the contest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
I'm also working on a 2-4 player simultaneous fighting game; I'm curious to see this develop and what you're doing differently!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Harmel
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Matthew! Thats cool. Are you entering it into the contest? Or do you have a WIP thread for it? It'd be neat to see your creation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Yep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Harmel
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tosx wrote:

Oh cool. Great job on the art! I certainly don't have a talent for that. I think simultaneous actions are a cool mechanic.

Ill have to look at your game in more detail.

My concept is a more simplistic style which I think works for it. The simultaneous portion is revealing 2 movement actions. If the opposing player is within your range you get to roll. Trying to limit the Dice in the game and only incorporate it into attack. Even then I want to avoid any negative player experience so the die has a high chance of success rate with a few ways to mitigate it.

Once I get the Rulebook up Id be interested in hearing what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Harmel
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
Welcome to the contest!

Thanks for the warm welcome Joseph!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Harmel
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: January 13th 2018

Rule Change: Start the game with 1 upgrade of your choice.

This allows for the game to "Start" more in the action. Also throws you into that immediate personalization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to vote, I'm not sure how vital the reference info is. One question though, do you need the 3 skulls / flags plus the fourth location on the player card? if you have won after taking the 3rd flag / 3rd hit then perhaps removing the 4th space of each would open the card up a little.

A small problem I have playing micro games is that tokens have a habit of moving. Perhaps on either side of the reference card you can have small spaces for health tracking and suggest players use a paperclip. (Are they allowed in the contest rules.)

I sometimes use bulldog clips to hold cards that form boards together also, though more and more I make such boards with sticky tape hinges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.