Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christof
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of Mice and Mystics over the weekend and it turns out we made a lot of rules mistakes. Still had fun but the game definitely would have gone differently if we had played correctly. lol. I've been reading through several pages of threads on the rules forum but there is still one question I have that hasn't been answered (so far as I have been able to find at least).

If Collin rolls a 2 for movement and thus has 4 movement points (2 base + the 2 rolled on the dice) can he move 3 spaces, perform an action (such as an attack), and then move 1 space more? Or is his entire movement used at once with any unused movement points gone forever? We played the second way and didn't even consider the first possibility until after the game was done.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do say that a mouse can move and then do an action, or do an action and then move. By inference, you cannot move, do an action, then continue moving (since you've already stopped moving). So you played it correctly!

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christof
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for responding! It did seem to me that we were playing it right, but as many have pointed out the rules aren't terribly clear and there was definitely some room for interpretation that I wanted to clear up before it ever became an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey McGlone
msg tools
mbmbmb
RMGreen wrote:
The rules do say that a mouse can move and then do an action, or do an action and then move. By inference, you cannot move, do an action, then continue moving (since you've already stopped moving).

I believe Ray has it correct. Just for reference, you can find this text on page 7 of the rulebook (I've added highlighting for emphasis):

Quote:

On its turn, a mouse can either perform 1 of the
following actions then move
, or move then perform 1 of
the following actions
:

• Scurry
• Battle
• Search
• Recover
• Explore

In addition to performing an action, or choosing not
to perform an action, mice can perform any of the
following free actions at any time during their turn:

• Equip
• Level up

Each free action can only be performed once during a
mouse's turn. A free action cannot be performed in the
middle of performing another action.

So I agree with Ray. You can do your move/action in either order, but can't do one "inside" the other. Some examples:

1. You can't run past Nez and toss him a helmet as you go by.
2. You can't move to a special search location, do your search, and then continue on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Weiss
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love the examples given by Corey, which brings it to life.

Hoddmimir wrote:
I played my first game of Mice and Mystics over the weekend and it turns out we made a lot of rules mistakes. Still had fun but the game definitely would have gone differently if we had played correctly. lol.

I recognize this fully.

When trying to list all possible options during a mouse turn, I immediately try to be complete. I start with what the turn consists of in a flowchart matter, something like:

Mouse Turn = Move + 1 Action + Free Actions + Use Ability

This 'formula' excludes that one can do one of the (free) actions in the middle of a move for example. They are separate phases in your turn and the phases can be done in every order. This way I don't have to use as much text. Then I describe all phases and add things described somewhere else in the rulebook (in bold letters below):

Move
• Roll 1 Dice. Max movement = base + dice value.

Action (Before/After Movement):
• Scurry
• Battle
• Search (max one search card per mouse per tile)
• Recover
• Explore
• Pick up used Party item (before Explore action)

Free actions not allowed in water:
• Equip
• Level up
Free actions allowed in water:
• Use Party Item (except for the Dinner Fork)
• Use Scroll or play Trick Card, then discard the card

** Each turn every free action can be done once **

Use Ability (in/outside your turn, once per turn)
• Pay cheese value if required and follow the ability instructions. May replace movement or action phase this turn.

Note: A turn is defined as an active initiative card.

I prefer to treat the usage of an ability as a separate option a mouse has because the rules do not describe how they actually play out during a turn well enough I think. And some abilities can be used out of the mouse turn, so saying it's the same as a free action confuses people (including me).

I wish you much enjoyment during your adventure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.