7 Posts

Lost Cities» Forums » Variants

Subject: Official solo and 4-player partnership variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
The official website has two variants that I haven't seen mentioned in the forums:

* 4-player partnership - Requires several cards from an additional copy of the game. Each pair of players share their tableau and may trade cards instead of playing their turn. No discussion is allowed.
* Solo play - Remove 30 cards randomly from the deck. Discarded cards are removed from the game. Try for a high score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaltyHorse wrote:
The official website has two variants that I haven't seen mentioned in the forums:

There is this from 2004.

Re: Four Players?

EDIT:
also from 2003

Official Four-Player Variant

(and perhaps others that I did not pursue)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I had seen the four player variant, and while I have a second copy, I didn't find it intriguing enough to try (plenty of good four player games to play when the occasion arises), but I hadn't seen the solo variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deeth82 wrote:
Has anyone spent time playing the solo variant, and if so, did it seem like there should have been a goal/score to beat? I'm normally not a huge fan of beat-your-high-score solitaire games, but was wondering if anyone has enjoyed it so far.

I really liked it! It is very quick and feels as close to the multiplayer game as you could do, I think. And there is a score to beat: you're own! You play three rounds and your best score is your actual score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete K
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The official variant makes for a passable solitaire. Obviously the information economy is gone, but it still feels like Lost Cities to a large extent. Thanks for sharing the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
In the standard 2 player you'll try to prevent discarding certain cards from your hand, because they could be valuable for your opponent. That aspect of the game is gone when you play this solitaire, because you can just get rid of useless cards without direct consequences. I couldn't recommend playing this solo for that reason. And beating your own high score is usually not an attractive winning condition in a solo card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.