Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation» Forums » General

Subject: Worth getting of the Delux version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A.R.T. A.R.T.
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
There is this and the 2005 delux version. They both seem to be out of print and there seems to be more of this older version than the newer one. If I was really set on getting one of these, is there any reason or situation where it is worth it to settle for the older game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
The older box and many game components are much smaller. This is useful if you have to transport the game, i. e. in a suitcase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The added variants (variant characters, draft game) by Peterson and Lang turned out quite good... if that makes a difference to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Mowery
United States
Hermitage
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to get the deluxe version. It's a beautifully produced version of an incredible game. 10 out of 10 for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
The older version is much better, IMO. The art is better, and it's much easier to tell the characters apart (the hobbits and shadow characters especially), plus the text for the characters is printed on the pieces.

You do not get the 18 extra characters, but usability is so much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is a bit of confusion here. There ARE two versions of this game (2002 & 2005) PLUS there is another game that is the same game but a DELUXE version

The deluxe version has much larger components and a larger board with bigger cards I believe. The box is also much larger. The player pieces stand Vertically instead of horizontally. That is probably the biggest giveaway it's the deluxe version.

This is the link to the deluxe version of the game: Check out the pictures in the gallery and you will see a big difference in the games

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18833/lord-rings-confron...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
netizen wrote:
I think there is a bit of confusion here. There ARE two versions of this game (2002 & 2005) PLUS there is another game that is the same game but a DELUXE version

The deluxe version has much larger components and a larger board with bigger cards I believe. The box is also much larger. The player pieces stand Vertically instead of horizontally. That is probably the biggest giveaway it's the deluxe version.

This is the link to the deluxe version of the game: Check out the pictures in the gallery and you will see a big difference in the games

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18833/lord-rings-confron...

The text on the character cards is the same as the original edition - too small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.