Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board game designers that are also video game designers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
flag msg tools
I wonder if there are such cases? I'm not talking about video game designers that released a board game once because they had money to do so. I would like to know if there are such hybrids with close to 50:50 video to board game ratio, or maybe someone who was a board game designer first, then turned to video games or the other way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grant Rodiek, who did Cry Havoc was a designer on the Sims series.

I also seem to remember hearing that Vlaada Chvatil had a background in video game design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First person I thought of when I read the title:
Tournament-level fighting game player David Sirlin was lead designer with the developer Backbone Entertainment for Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, and he also worked on Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.
His time spent with fighting games led to an understanding of the needs for balance between characters in a competitive fighting game, which definitely shows with his game Yomi and many of the other Sirlin Games titles.
And now he's come full-circle and has been developing a Fantasy Strike fighting game based on the characters/world from his tabletop games.
I've played (and loved) both Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix and Super Puzzle Fighter II HD Remix. Here's hoping I get to play one of his tabletop games sometime soon though; I've owned the deluxe edition of Yomi Second Edition, Puzzle Strike, and Codex Deluxe Edition for a long time, and I bought Pandante Deluxe Edition last month for my birthday, but I've never been able to get anyone to play them with me.

And he's not a designer but popular reviewer Rahdo worked on Fable II, didn't he?

I'd be interested to see what other developers have dabbled with video games or have crossed-over to/from them, so I'll subscribe to the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen worked on some RPG related stuff in the early 80s. Later worked at MicroProse, id Software, Ensemble Studios, and Barking Lizards Technologies. He's worked on some cornerstones of the video game industry with games like Civilization, Doom, and Age of Empires. In board gaming, he's most known for creating Cthulhu Wars, but I think he has 5 or 6 (released) board games to his credit with more on the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian Livingstone Mostly known in the boardgame world for founding Games Workshop and writing the Fighting Fantasy Books with Steve Jackson
Did write a number of games for Games Workshop too such as Battlecars and Judge Dredd

Went on to work in the video game industry for Domark and Eidos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obidiah wrote:
Ian Livingstone Mostly known in the boardgame world for founding Games Workshop and writing the Fighting Fantasy Books with Steve Jackson
Did write a number of games for Games Workshop too such as Battlecars and Judge Dredd

Went on to work in the video game industry for Domark and Eidos.

In fact using Google, it looks like Ian's partner in crime, Steve Jackson (The British Steve Jackson - not to be confused with Steve Jackson (I), the American designer of Munchkin etc) also went into the VideoGame industry founding Lionhead with Peter Molyneux
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
flag msg tools
badge
Out of bounds!
mbmbmbmbmb
Arnold Hendrick designed Barbarian Prince among others boardgames, and then he move to Microprose where he commited in several videogames including one of my favourite RPG of all time: Darklands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
Interesting. So it seems like it's mostly RPG-related transfers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavoie
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood, designer of several games for GMT Games focused on modern air combat, is a video game designer as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed Beach

Here I Stand and Virgin Queen
Civilization V and Civilization VI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYEL1NER wrote:
And he's not a designer but popular reviewer Rahdo worked on Fable II, didn't he?

He did. He was also the design lead and story writer on the Syphon Filter series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
EYEL1NER wrote:

He did. He was also the design lead and story writer on the Syphon Filter series.

No way?! I was never really a fan of the Syphon Filter series but that's still pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ji Dan
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
I'm a boardgame designer working in the app space because of the benefits of having a "gameboard that processes".

My current game is a fundamental game in the same class as Chess and Go, but with less rules and no special conditions, and a 10 minute play time (thanks to the tablet/smartphone gameboard.)

But it's a boardgame, and can be played in a physical medium, just not optimally without some circuitry in the physical gameboard.

PS
I went this direction, re: boardgames, because I like fundamental games and mechanics, and love to harness the power of a few simple rules to create chaotic systems. (I also love "high-level" games, like console or PC, but they're to complex to be of mathematical interest, which also also a factor for many "high level", themed boardgames. Still great games, though!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Tim Fowers is one. I quote him:
Quote:
I had some success making independent videogames, then in 2011 I joined Amazon Game Studios as a designer. I left in 2015 to make boardgames full time.

ref: Geek of the Week #596 - Tim Fowers (Fubeca)

Also, though it's not specifically a single designer, Oink Games started out making video games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.