Popular Tags: [View All]
Vik Leroy
Switzerland
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In New Roles, you have this: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/61657/new-roles

You have the Sailor: For 1 AP, may travel between any two border “shore” tiles

And in the Standard role, you have the Diver: The Diver may move through one or more adjacent missing and/or flooded tiles for 1 action.

What's the difference between them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Shore" is not defined, so it can be at least two things.

If "Shore" is any tile with surrounding 'water', then Sailor can move between any two of them with 1 AP. The Diver can only move in straight line for 1 AP, (although if I have understood some ruling correctly, can make turns during their move by spending more AP).

Sailor is especially good at sailing around (outside) the island, while Diver is best at swimming across (inside) the island.

(Are sunken areas inside the island considered to create "Shore" tiles is not known by that file alone. Thematically now, unless there is a 'water' route to them from the outside.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Diver can only go where tiles have sunk or are partly submerged and cannot go outside the original island boundary. This includes any group of partly submerged tiles and/or spots where tiles have sunk in the middle of the island.

I assume that shore tiles are the current outer edge of the island. The outside edge will change as tiles sink. Sailor can move freely among those tiles.

If instead shore tiles are only the outer edge at the start of the game, Sailor can move freely among only those tiles. As those original outside edge tiles sink, the special ability will be less and less useful.

Either way, Sailor can effectively go outside the original boundary of the island when using this special ability. Diver can't do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
The Diver can only move in straight line for 1 AP, (although if I have understood some ruling correctly, can make turns during their move by spending more AP).

Diver is not limited to straight line movement. It costs 1 AP to move from a tile touching a group of submerged/sunken tiles to any other tile touching that same group of submerged/sunken tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vik Leroy
Switzerland
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok Jim, I think we have understood the same thing.

If X are normal tiles and O the flooded tiles, if we have this configuration:

XOOOX
OOXOO
XXOXX
OOOXX
XXOOO

If the sailor is on the 1st X, he can go on each border X, so the second X in the 1st line, the X in the second line, the borders X in the 3rd, and the 5th X in the 4th line and the both X in the 5th line. Right?

As the diver in the same configuration can't go on the 4th and 5th line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
vikleroy wrote:
Ok Jim, I think we have understood the same thing.

If X are normal tiles and O the flooded tiles, if we have this configuration:

XOOOX
OOXOO
XXOXX
OOOXX
XXOOO

If the sailor is on the 1st X, he can go on each border X, so the second X in the 1st line, the X in the second line, the borders X in the 3rd, and the 5th X in the 4th line and the both X in the 5th line. Right?

As the diver in the same configuration can't go on the 4th and 5th line.

Yes, assuming the Os are all partially submerged tiles, not sunk tiles.

The Diver can move over partially submerged tiles; the Sailor cannot. So, in a situation where some tiles have sunk, the Sailor may reach new spots.

For example, if the last two Os on line 2 are sunk (and removed), the Sailor can now reach the X on line 2 and the next to last X on line 3. Those two tiles being sunk would not change how the Diver can move - the Diver can move over those sunk tiles just the same as moving over partially submerged tiles.

Again, I interpret 'shore tiles' to be the current shore, not the initial shore. I also assume the Sailor can't go over partially submerged tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.