4 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Thorgar's Bless Power rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Invi Sible
Germany
flag msg tools
Hello everyone, I am fairly new to S&S and need clarification on one of Thorgar’s powers.

The description includes the following statements:
• It costs a free action
• Lasts “until time phase” (until the next character’s/player’s time phase I suppose)
• Can either boost +1 hit or +1 armour (Soulrank I) for one target hero (or companion) within range

My question revolves around the attack buff part of Thorgar’s Bless.
From my understanding it only makes sense to boost either Thorgar’s own attack or the attack of a companion since the buff would disappear in the following character/player’s time phase, thus before any attack takes place. While the defensive variant of the buff would at least help during the enemy turn (following Thorgar’s turn) before the next character/player's turn.

Is that assumption correct or does the attack buff duration behave otherwise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorka Morka
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zzoo wrote:
Hello everyone, I am fairly new to S&S and need clarification on one of Thorgar’s powers.

The description includes the following statements:
• It costs a free action
• Lasts “until time phase” (until the next character’s/player’s time phase I suppose)
• Can either boost +1 hit or +1 armour (Soulrank I) for one target hero (or companion) within range

My question revolves around the attack buff part of Thorgar’s Bless.
From my understanding it only makes sense to boost either Thorgar’s own attack or the attack of a companion since the buff would disappear in the following character/player’s time phase, thus before any attack takes place. While the defensive variant of the buff would at least help during the enemy turn (following Thorgar’s turn) before the next character/player's turn.

Is that assumption correct or does the attack buff duration behave otherwise?

You might want to reread the turn structure in the rulebook. There is ONE time phase in the BEGINNING of each game round. Then ALL heroes take their turn. AFTER that it's the next time phase. So, assuming that Thorgar goes first (you can decide the order of hero activation), a character might have +1 armor for a whole round, lasting each and every monster activation that happens in this round. Or a character might get +1 hit for the whole round, which always makes sense, as long as Thorgar casts his Blessing, before that character (or himself) attacks. It's on page 14 ff. in the rulebook.

Regards, Gorkar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
What Gorkar said.

The order of a round in S&S is :

1) Time Phase - Start of round.
Any effects that go with "Time Phase" activate and all powers on casting delay advance.

2) Each hero takes a turn which includes:
2a) Hero Turn
2b) Monster Turn

3) Event Phase, where you reveal \ discard an event and do whatever it says

So If Thorgar goes first and, for example, gives Victoria +1 Armor until time phase, it means that the bonus will last for the entire round until next round starts including all heroes and monsters turn in between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Invi Sible
Germany
flag msg tools
Well, thank you very much.

Even though my mistake cost me some self-respect in the end I can now proceed to buff my party even more efficiently.

Thank you for answering my question so quickly.

kind regards
Zzoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.