Fred Hill
msg tools
mb
I have been playing a lot of war games lately. Memoir 44, a few rounds of CCA, Axis and allies and a few games of squad leader. I just puchased Pocket battles and did a Quick test of that as well.

Long story short, in order for me to have a war game feel I need a real game board. Pocket battles is fun but its not a war game to me. Memoir 44 is awesome and my favorite of the bunch but it comes in a pretty big box. I am traveling abroad for a month for a low-work high-politics installment and maintnance job so I need a game I can bring along on the trip. I bought Folio series: Wilsons Creek and am pretty happy with that, but I wonder if anyone have a good recommendation for a somewhat portable/compact war game. If it has a good replay value its a huge bonus.

Any recommendations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baldyr wrote:
I have been playing a lot of war games lately. Memoir 44, a few rounds of CCA, Axis and allies and a few games of squad leader. I just puchased Pocket battles and did a Quick test of that as well.

Long story short, in order for me to have a war game feel I need a real game board. Pocket battles is fun but its not a war game to me. Memoir 44 is awesome and my favorite of the bunch but it comes in a pretty big box. I am traveling abroad for a month for a low-work high-politics installment and maintnance job so I need a game I can bring along on the trip. I bought Folio series: Wilsons Creek and am pretty happy with that, but I wonder if anyone have a good recommendation for a somewhat portable/compact war game. If it has a good replay value its a huge bonus.

Any recommendations?

Field Commander: Napoleon seems to have a small footprint and as a solo only game you can play it anytime. You can decide what campaign to play and only bring the mapboard and counters needed for that campaign.

The same thing applies to both Band of Brothers and Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition). Pick scenarios with 1 or 2 mapboards and just the counters you need plus dice and player aids and you are good to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeomen: The 9 Card Agincourt Game is certainly tiny. A very small PnP that just needs a few cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a wargamer and haven't played the following games myself.
But since I had a smiliar thought, I did some research a while ago ... and these might be interesting for you:

Table Battles - new from Hollandspiele, maybe exactly what you want.

The Cousins' War - Might also be exactly in your wheelhouse.

2 de Mayo - fits a similar niche as the game above.

Pub Battles: Brandywine - one of a series of games. Not too small and not necessarily especially portable. But these games were designed to be sturdy and durable.

Bitskrieg - another one from Hollandspiele, nearly a kid's game.

Two conflict microgames (from the same designer duo) that use mostly cards: Iron Curtain and 13 Minutes: The Cuban Missile Crisis
Or their slightly bigger cousin including a board: 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis

Cheers!
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
You would probably get some great answers if you posted this in the Wargames Subdomain: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamesubdomain/4664/wargam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hill
msg tools
mb
slashing wrote:
You would probably get some great answers if you posted this in the Wargames Subdomain: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamesubdomain/4664/wargam...

Great idea! I will try that. Thanks a lot to all others that replied as well, very good suggestions. If anyone else has a good suggestion, please post away, either in here or in the wargame domain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.