Subject: How Do I Block Geekmail from a User rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this is possible, but I'd like to be able to block a specific user from sending me Geekmails. Is there any way to do this?

Alternatively, is there a different way to deal with the issue?

Basically, I keep getting geekmails from the same guy asking me to sell games from my collection. I don't have them listed for trade, and have no interest in selling. When I've bothered replying, I get no response, nor do the "please sell me this game" posts stop. I've no idea why I'm getting these geekmails - I'd guess that this person is just spamming everyone who owns games of interest.

If it was email, I'd just set up a rule that all their emails go into the trash unread, but there doesn't seem to be anyway to do this with Geekmail.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's a way to block GM, but I would bring this to the attention of one of the admins. Sounds very annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
I don't think there's a way to block GM, but I would bring this to the attention of one of the admins. Sounds very annoying.

Specifically,

Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
White- or blacklisting geekmail is on the list of desirable site improvements. Currently there is no way to stop another user from sending mail. As mentioned above, your only course of action is to contact the administration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping there was a less blunt instrument than "invoke Octavian", as this is annoying, but a bit border line for admin action.

I guess I'll try asking them to desist one more time, and call in the big guns if that doesn't work.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does blocking the user under the subscribe option no block their GM's?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
badge
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathon Lethem
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
I was hoping there was a less blunt instrument than "invoke Octavian", as this is annoying, but a bit border line for admin action.

Presumably the user you need to block is the one who has been annoying. I've had to take this course more than once, and don't regret it for a moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vospire wrote:

Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Vospire wrote:

Nope.

That seems counterintuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vospire wrote:
Sphere wrote:
Vospire wrote:

Nope.

That seems counterintuitive.

Yup, but that's how it is. Blocking them doesn't stop threads created by them from showing up on your front page, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
Any thoughts?
Plan A: I would recommend you cut/paste what you wrote above into a GeekMail and send it to the offending account. Finish with: "Please stop sending me geekmails." If that doesn't work, then I'd look at blocking his account.

Plan B: sell him some games and make some money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
If that doesn't work, then I'd look at blocking his account.

People need to understand that if they do block another user, any mention of having done so will result in having one's own user privileges permanently suspended. It's a zero tolerance offense, regardless of how richly the blocked party deserved it, so do it quietly and don't report back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
People need to understand that if they do block another user, any mention of having done so will result in having one's own user privileges permanently suspended. It's a zero tolerance offense, regardless of how richly the blocked party deserved it, so do it quietly and don't report back.
Whew... glad I looked up the rule. Your post had me a little concerned.
It's just that the way you worded it, my first impression was that the act of blocking someone else was a zero tolerance offence, so if you mention that you used the blocking feature... you're in deep doo doo.

I know, I know... that sounds ridiculous... especially given that they provide the means of doing so. But you know... semantics.

But a quick search for the actual rule on that:
Note that talking about who is in your hide list in the forums is a zero-tolerance offense and will result in immediate moderation. (emphasis mine)

Haha... and maybe my brain just made a subconscious leap of logic because your name is Was George Orwell an Optimist? So my first read through your post conjured images of Big Brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mnty4rd wrote:
Sphere wrote:
Whew... glad I looked up the rule. Your post had me a little concerned.
It's just that the way you worded it, my first impression was that the act of blocking someone else was a zero tolerance offence, so if you mention that you used the blocking feature... you're in deep doo doo.

I know, I know... that sounds ridiculous... especially given that they provide the means of doing so. But you know... semantics.

But a quick search for the actual rule on that:
Note that talking about who is in your hide list in the forums is a zero-tolerance offense and will result in immediate moderation. (emphasis mine)

Haha... and maybe my brain just made a subconscious leap of logic because your name is Was George Orwell an Optimist? So my first read through your post conjured images of Big Brother.

I'm glad you figured it out. (I hope others weren't confused as well; re-reading what I said it still seems clear to me that I was warning against mentioning it, not doing it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.