Fallout» Forums » General

Subject: App for solo players! (Please?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Niko Bellic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it's nothing... it's not a big deal:
A simple app, with links to the decisions / results - in the form of "This War Of Mine". Very useful, almost a "must", for solo players!
I wish I had the knowledge to make it... but I don't!
So, is there any nice guy, out there, willing and wishing to make it for us? I - and we, solo players - will be so grateful to him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Signore
Italy
Napoli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure this game needs any solo app... I can (and do) play solo easily, and perhaps I would not like using an app for Fallout. If I had to use a computer for Fallout, I'd play Fallout 4...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Mastrangeli
United States
Downers Grove
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love an app like First Martians have. Just the deck of cards. It would make playing solo a lot more fun, because It would remove the temptation to look at the results before making a decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Bellic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not, only, a temptation issue...
You can't avoid them, you can't miss them!
And, I guess - and I want to believe - that, a lot (if not most) of the players, they don't like "spoilers", but, instead, they do love and enjoy "surprises"!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauri Huovila
Finland
flag msg tools
Lord Of Toe Rings wrote:
It's not, only, a temptation issue...
You can't avoid them, you can't miss them!!

Indeed. Try to add card to a deck when playing solo. Shuffle two cards and put them back to deck in "random order". I don't say it's impossible, just hard.

But creating such an app shouldn't be too difficult. I'm not promising anything yet but just asking: What that app should actually do?

Very basic version:
Ask card number and show choices. Click to reveal outcome. Player still manages physical deck and add and stages cards as needed.

This does not solve all problems, like shuffling cards (when adding them). Also, when drawing a card, you should not look anything else than cards number.

Deck managing version:
App manages all decks. It adds cards automatically and draws and shows cards when clicking one of the decks. When card is staged (note: staged, not added), you, a player, will search for that card and stage it to the real playing area. I believe none of the stageable cards contains hidden information so there should not be any problem.

This is still quite easy. Because there are no staged cards, there will be plenty of room to actually fit everything nicely for mobile phones. Adding cards back to deck from staged cards might still need some extra though.

Full version:
Even staged cards are managed by the app. For best experience your might want to use laptop. Also FFG might lose their head because of copyright issues...

---

I have played only two games (one solo) so I might still need some work to actually see the big picture and all requirements for an app. That very basic version might not even need an app. Spreadsheet might do just fine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Bellic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, let me thank you for your interest!
The second option (the Deck Managing version) looks the ideal, the perfect for me!...
...BUT! Since it's not only you and me, since we're not alone, could we ask what the other players think?
For one more time, thank you so much! I really appreciate what you'll do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre G
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The issue there is for the guy who would have to program... He NEEDS to read & rewrite all the cards in the program. 1st: it's boring as hell, 2nd spoilers...
A solution there would be to fill up content by community. If 10 people fills 15 cards each, we are good to go actually...
I'm web developer, I can try to come up with a web mobile version of this deck management... But I clearly don't want to write all cards...
I'll set-up a communautary Google sheet to fill in and prepare a little demo... If, at a point, I've enough cards, I'll put it fully live to playtest... And maybe develop a full mobile app out of it

Second advantage... It could be translated... Therefore possible to play in french or other languages :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Bellic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be my pleasure and I'd be really proud and happy, if I could help and do the "writing stuff"! I have plenty of free time, so, I wouldn't mind, at all, to dedicate myself on this occupation!
(In addition, I have "poor" memory - thanks God for that...)
Oh! The second advantage... Nice catch!
Tomorrow morning, first things first, I'll send you a sample; if you're satisfied, you give me the OK and the green light, and I'll start my work. I guess, I'll be ready, by the end of the week!
Thank you very-very much!!!

Edit:
Europe, here, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre G
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is the google spreadsheet to complete
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qcAAbeWV01uT4oCfIX4v...

I've already added 014 (found on internet)... though I don't know what encounter type it is

I'll setup some conditional formatting to show in red when a "?" is found on the row, icons validation formatting, and some list to pick for types... but later on

for all the icons, please reuse all the same names in the whole list. You can define names in the second sheet

for adding and staging, use this format: "Stage #XXX #YYY" or "Add #XXX #YYY" (with # in front)

sheet 1: numbered quests
sheet 2: base encounters (the "starred" cards)
sheet 3: list of icons used. if the icon you write is not in this sheet, you can add it

if there is an info on the card I didn't think of and you cannot write it correctly on the sheet, the last column contains "writer comment"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauri Huovila
Finland
flag msg tools
I actually wrote already something small.

Basic web page where you can draw cards from decks.

You can see titles of all choices of that card, and when you click a title then story part will be shown. Card adding is not yet implemented, but I can probably finish that at the weekend. I actually can't do much before Sunday :/

All cards data looks currently like this: https://pastebin.com/7RnR8iek
And when shown, it's something like this: https://ibb.co/kAGOxR

This might change alot! At least information about added cards should be plain numbers (like now) so app knows what cards to add when resolving an effect. Anything else can be almost anything.

Even some things work for now, app itself is very rough and looks ugly. I'll post a link when card adding is ready, so it is easier to see how app would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre G
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
you already wrote ALL the cards???
man you're crazy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauri Huovila
Finland
flag msg tools
Aarcana wrote:
you already wrote ALL the cards???
man you're crazy

No, I did not

I just wrote a little program that handles those cards. I have fake data that has similar effects than real cards. All cards I have are more or less copies from each other.

I still need real card data and therefore your Google sheets projects is the most welcome addition.

I'll send you a link to that app as private message so you can see what I have done already. Just prepare your eyes, there are no styles yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Bellic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good evening to all!
Sorry I'm late, but something happened to me and I just came back home...
First of all, I'd like to thank, from the deep of my heart, BOTH our friends and volunteers, Ipikles and Aarcana!
Now... as I said earlier, I have no knowledge of the object (not at all), so... I don't know and I can;t judge which of the two suggestions works better. They both look so great!
So... What people say? What solo players think?
What about me? I'm still willing and wishing to do all the "writing" job, with pleasure! Actually, is the only thing I can do! So, I'm ready to start, whenever you need me!
For one more time, thank you guys, very-very much! People like you, make me proud of being board gamer!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olof Bertilsson
Sweden
Vindeln
Västerbotten
flag msg tools
Lord Of Toe Rings wrote:
Good evening to all!
Sorry I'm late, but something happened to me and I just came back home...
First of all, I'd like to thank, from the deep of my heart, BOTH our friends and volunteers, Ipikles and Aarcana!
Now... as I said earlier, I have no knowledge of the object (not at all), so... I don't know and I can;t judge which of the two suggestions works better. They both look so great!
So... What people say? What solo players think?
What about me? I'm still willing and wishing to do all the "writing" job, with pleasure! Actually, is the only thing I can do! So, I'm ready to start, whenever you need me!
For one more time, thank you guys, very-very much! People like you, make me proud of being board gamer!!!

Just continue filling out https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qcAAbeWV01uT4oCfIX4v... then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre G
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
while the writing is being done, I need to create something ^^

I'll begin with drafting what I'm thinking to do, then asking it... I might create a new dedicated channel for a WIP: Dogmeat app, a Fallout Companion

What I think:
several steps.
Step 1: Encounter Deck Management.
The app would only manage encounters decks. starting with wasteland/settlement star cards, then you have to either tap on "add #" to add a card (and type the number), or tap on one of the available decks, then it flips a card and gives you 2 options (not giving you the results). Depending on selection, results appears. If there is another "add #" in result, it would be added to the correct deck automatically

Step 2: Library Management.
the app would then show all the available quests. you just need to start with one. then everytime a Trash is reached, card is back into the lib, everytime a Stage # is reached, the corresponding card would be added to the open quests, and the add # is the same as step 1.
As from there, you shouldn't need anymore to pull out your cards from the box

Step 3: make it mobile (I'm a web dev... I have to learn mobile dev ^^)

Step 4: local savegame... save current game (open quests, encounter decks, etc)

Step 5: (need help) translate cards... while equipment and stuff is OK in English, reading a story out loud & so on is better for immersion in your mother language

I'd say this app would be really useful for SOLO games... Iwouldn't use it for multi... since cards are a part of the boardgame as well... but for solo, it's then even easier to not read the outcomes...
as of step 4 and 5, it's useful for everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hammer
United States
Durham
NC
flag msg tools
GLORBUS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think all of this sounds great! Managing all decks would have the broadest appeal I think, but I personally would only "need" to have the encounter decks managed (including add# actions). Mobile is ideal but web-based is also fine, especially since you can just run it from a web page on your mobile browser. Thanks to everyone working on this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Bellic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gudn2k wrote:

Off I go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olof Bertilsson
Sweden
Vindeln
Västerbotten
flag msg tools
Star encounter deck is the most important one. Laying out the quest cards on the table might still be a nice option when soloing.

Select how many players at the start and when encounters are added to the deck it should shuffle it in automatically with the right number of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olof Bertilsson
Sweden
Vindeln
Västerbotten
flag msg tools
All the encounter cards are added, only quest cards remain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauri Huovila
Finland
flag msg tools
gudn2k wrote:
All the encounter cards are added, only quest cards remain.

Great! I already added star cards to that app I have been building. I'll add "addable" cards any time soon.

For anyone interested, here is a link: http://laurihuovila.fi/fo/
Like I said, only star cards, so it's not very usable usable and certanly not playable. And many features are still missing.

EDIT: Added rest of the encounter cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olof Bertilsson
Sweden
Vindeln
Västerbotten
flag msg tools
Nice, its getting there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olof Bertilsson
Sweden
Vindeln
Västerbotten
flag msg tools
Done half the numbered quest now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olof Bertilsson
Sweden
Vindeln
Västerbotten
flag msg tools
All cards done! :O
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre G
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
you guys rule !
thanks for all the comments, that will help me to know the special functionnalities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olof Bertilsson
Sweden
Vindeln
Västerbotten
flag msg tools
"If there is on this space, encounter the next card. Then, add this card. "

@Lauri Huovila, need a function for "passing" on some cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.