1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 5 player game for new gamers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sol pek
msg tools
Hi,

I'm looking for a five player game to play with my flat who aren't massive board gamers. We like playing Catan and Codenames, games with lots of interaction and I want to get something new.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Medieval Academy which i think is an excellent entry level game to introduce card drafting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacy Malec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try King of Tokyo or the Resistance, both are fairly light games for the player count you seek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alpha beta
msg tools
You should consider El Grande, which is perfect at 5 players and has a lot of interaction, while not being too complicated (a little more than Catan, but not too much more).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with a non-gamer (scrabble) couple from time to time. Ticket to Ride: Europe is one of the few they've asked for again. (Dixit was another, slightly surprisingly.) I think Carcassonne went okay (without farmers) but we haven't yet got round to the full game - but then I keep throwing new things at them, to keep them on their toes, so they've just not had a chance yet.

Bananagrams is a fun party alternative to scrabble if you're into that sort of thing. (Generally try to steer them away from word games since they would utterly trounce us !)

We played all these with 4, but they do play 5.

Bohnanza is one of many that didn't to work for some reason or other, even though I thought it might, but might work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, TTR great game, as is Carcassonne but a bit chaotic with 5

Could try a co opoerative game. Sub Terra is newish and very easy to teach (see my post in that Forum) Boring but playable alternative woudl be Pandemic.

Between Two Cities is cheap, quick and semi co operative, and takes up to 7. Since much of the action is simultaneous, play time doesnt increase much with more players.

Most laughter in my group this year has been with Tortuga 1667

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaganishu Khan
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cosmic Encounter. Light on rules, deep on possibilities, and I have never met anyone who couldnt grasp the rules in a few minutes. Also a great gateway to more complex ideas when you go beyond easy/green races.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter Premium or Lovecraft Letter if you want something quick.

Pandemic has some expansions that add a 5th player iirc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Carcassonne
+1 Ticket to Ride

If you want silliness and take-that, Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ticket to Ride
Sushi Party Go
Formula De
Jamaica
Consensus
Long Shot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If your group is used to the pacing of Catan, King of Tokyo may not be a great fit. I introduced it to a group I used to play Catan with, and their immediate response was, "that's it?" While some games can feel like epic battles, more often they end quickly and player eliminations can feel anti-climactic.

Maybe 7 Wonders or Steampunk Rally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chance Rushing
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asking for Trobils is a pretty good worker placement for new/non gamers the interaction is not jerkish either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
Exton
Pa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep is terrific with 5, and is a great introduction to worker placement. I've never seen it fail to work with novice players, and is really not more complex than Catan.

7 Wonders is also good with 5, and allows for more players if they wish to join. It's another go-to gateway game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 El Grande. Brilliant 5 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
avengerSP wrote:
We like playing Catan and Codenames,

I would consider both Ticket to Ride and Ticket to Ride: Europe as fitting in between those two (for those who "aren't massive board gamers").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne - I don't think it's great with 5, it's best with 2-3 in my opinion. With 4-5 you don't get as many turns so the game is more random, and has fewer interesting decisions. I wouldn't describe it as having "lots of interaction" either particularly when played fairly causally.

Ren3 wrote:

Yes, Pandemic: On the Brink adds rules for 5p (amongst other stuff). You don't actually need any expansion components to play with 5 though, just deal out the same number of cards as if you were playing 4p so I can't see any reason you would need the expansion to 5p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza is good - it's all about trading so if you like the trading part of Catan then you may like it.

Citadels is good with 5. I'd recommend the larger version with more roles & buildings, though the smaller version takes up less space and is considerably cheaper.

The Resistance, The Resistance: Avalon if you like the idea of hidden roles & trying to work out who to trust (or trying to persuade everyone to trust you). Which is best depends on which theme you prefer (and whether you want options on more expansions (The Resistance) or an expansion in the box (Avalon).

One Night Ultimate Werewolf is another game like The Resistance (but I haven't played it). It also has many spin offs with different themes (and presumably slightly different game play).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride has been suggested many times already and I would add to that recommendation. Also, Royals is a great, light card driven area control game. Istanbul is another 5P game but is a route building, worker placement, goods conversion game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
SG372 wrote:
Lords of Waterdeep is terrific with 5, and is a great introduction to worker placement. I've never seen it fail to work with novice players, and is really not more complex than Catan.

7 Wonders is also good with 5, and allows for more players if they wish to join. It's another go-to gateway game for me.

I agree, but they fail on the OP's criteria of "lots of interaction".

My recommendation is Power Grid, it's a little heavier than Catan but worth the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Ren3 wrote:

Yes, Pandemic: On the Brink adds rules for 5p (amongst other stuff). You don't actually need any expansion components to play with 5 though, just deal out the same number of cards as if you were playing 4p so I can't see any reason you would need the expansion to 5p.

Thanks for pointing that out! I wasn't sure, I don't think I ever played with more than 3p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
Saboteur
Mascarade
Wizard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B J
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
The Kings:
King of Tokyo
King of New York
and
+1 7 Wonders
+1 El Grande

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra or Priests of Ra if you want an auction game. It's an easy game to teach but it took me a little while to figure it out from the rules (maybe watching a video might help, or I might have just been too tired when I learnt it).

Clubs is an easy to learn card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Nelson
United States
Saint Bonifacius
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Cosmic Encounter, hands down. Plays up to five with the base and up to eight with the expansions. The replayability is crazy with fifty different aliens to play in the base game. Player interaction is high - every turn is your turn with the formation of alliances. I would equate it to the rolling of dice in Catan.

If you have the money I would pick up the first expansion Incursion alongside the base game. It is definitely not needed but puts a little icing on the cake.

It may seem intimidating for new gamers, but the gameplay is incredibly simple. If one person knows the rules you'll have no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin Naber
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I introduced a group of a similar size to games and they loved Betrayal at House on the Hill. It does require some reading and making sure you know the rules, but it's now a group favorite. If they like a little more fantasy theme, I definitely recommend Betrayal at Baldur's gate. It's a bit smoother in terms of rule consistency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.