GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,342 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Battle for Rokugan» Forums » Variants

Subject: Starting with your Clan Token rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris McDowall
msg tools
My last two asymmetry variants have been quite heavy handed. After playing the game a few more times both with and without this variant I think a softer approach could be more appropriate.

I still like the Clan Pool Variant as a more extreme way of differentiating the clans, and I'll continue to test it, but as something for more "everyday use" I'm trying the following without any additional variants:

Every player takes their Unique Clan Token into their hand during setup.

This token is used exactly as a normal combat token and does not return to hand after use like the Bluff Token.

Players still draw up to a hand of 6 tokens as normal, meaning they will draw 4 tokens on turn 1 in addition to their Bluff and Clan tokens.

So Crane will always start the game with a Diplomacy Token in their hand, Lion with the A6 etc.

I've found this gives each clan a small thematic nudge, and makes Bluffs a little more useful, as everyone starts with a token that they'd most likely want to keep for a later round.

It's fun knowing one of your opponents tokens too. I tried this against Scorpion so was watching out for that Shinobi 3 right from turn one.

Best of all, it avoids the situation where a player goes the whole game without seeing their unique clan token.

Any unseen issues with this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dario Alex
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this a very interesting idea, I look forward to try it asap.

Only thought is that of balance issue: on paper I think that a dragon/phoenix clan would be in advantage vs a unicorn/crane clan. I mean, a blessing vs an "atomic bomb" seems like a little disadvantage in the early game.

I think the randomness in the token available increase game variability in the long run and that I don't mind, but I do agree that playing without ever having at your disposal your special token sucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Prophet
United Kingdom
London
Camden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the fact your opponent now know what one of your tokens is. The randomness helps hide what you have, thus allowing you to not telegraph your potential moves as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDowall
msg tools
It definitely gives each player more information to work with on Turn 1, for better or worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to chime in that i tried your more extreme variant last week and I quite liked it. I think the diversity is very welcome in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.