Andrew Chapman
Australia
Norwood
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen anything directly addressing this question: if playing with multiple parties, can a character move between parties?

I don't yet have the game (waiting on the imminent retail release), but I have read the campaign section of the rules. I have my standard game group which consists of four people to make up one party, and two sons who would like to play to make up the second party (plus me). That's one too many for the starting character options if I was to play in both parties (ie one party of 4 and one of 3). So I was wondering if it would be legitimate to have my character participate in both parties in the same world/campaign? Is that legal? I'd rather not bother with all the bookwork of running two separate campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tsang
United Kingdom
Claverton, Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes but you have to carefully manage the different party sheets as to which non-global party achievements are unlocked.

Also there may be item instance collisions when moving a character between two parties. Make sure you record on each character sheet which items each character possesses. Certain items have only 1, 2 or 3 copies allowed in each party. If your characters have more copies total than allowed in the current party, just choose some of of the characters to leave the items behind before the mission (or sell them if you're playing with the new group long term) in order to bring the number of copies down to what is allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are the two 'mains' in our campaign. We have a pair of folks who are 'part timers' who have characters with life goals. We also have a circle of 'incidentals' people who may play only once, maybe more, but no commitment. They get character sheets, but no life goals (so the goals are 'trapped') everything works fine with just a little extra bookkeeping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin
msg tools
mb
What do you do with characters who have
Spoiler (click to reveal)
added stickers/enhancements to their cards? Record it and ignore for others or remove the stickers? Just curious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tsang
United Kingdom
Claverton, Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreister wrote:
What do you do with characters who have
Spoiler (click to reveal)
added stickers/enhancements to their cards? Record it and ignore for others or remove the stickers? Just curious :)

They get to keep them, unless you want to house rule it differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 36 says new characters should be made for new parties, so, technically, you shouldn't do that. That said, I don't see it breaking anything.

Your alternatives are putting all six characters in one party or creating two characters of one or more character classes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
alternatively, you could just create two different characters for yourself, one for each party.

There can be multiple characters from the same class, they just can't be in the same party together (well, maybe they could, but you couldn't have multiple characters from the same class go into the same scenario together unless you had multiple copies of the cards for that class).

Would give you a chance for some added variety by playing one class in one party and a different class in the other party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with having a character in multiple parties is that they get so much XP that they start raising the average monster level of the party. If your party is level 1,1,2,4, they will be fighting level 2 monsters they are woefully ill-equipped to take on. I would create multiple instances of the same class instead, giving each one their own quest, set of items, etc.

Stickers are global between parties, because it would be impractical to take them off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robyrt wrote:
The problem with having a character in multiple parties is that they get so much XP that they start raising the average monster level of the party. If your party is level 1,1,2,4, they will be fighting level 2 monsters they are woefully ill-equipped to take on. I would create multiple instances of the same class instead, giving each one their own quest, set of items, etc.

Stickers are global between parties, because it would be impractical to take them off.

Pedantic: 4+2+1+1=8. 8/4=2. Half of 2 is 1. Still level 1 monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
I don't see this last as a problem. You'll have a (frequently changing) variety of different levels in your party sooner or later with character retirements anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.