Dustin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 2 of the rulebook it says

Quote:
At the end of your turn, all newly purchased cards, as well as the cards used to buy them, go face up in your individual discard pile.

So far, so deckbuilder.

But, on page 13, it says these things:

Quote:
Pathogens ... are purchased by discarding cards with the appropriate value from a player's hand. ... The pathogen can be used to upgrade a pathogen you currently have in play. The new pathogen goes into play immediately.

And in the specific steps it says:

Quote:
Replace the pathogen currently in play with the newly purchased pathogen.

I'm assuming that the quote on page 2 is incorrect and I should pay attention to the text on page 13.

Also, regarding upgrading. I get the impression that upgrading is a tactical choice that you can make but is not a compulsory process. You can start straight away with a level 3 pathogen if you so desire and do not have to upgrade from a level 1 through a level 2 to get there. Do I have that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the quote from page 2 should say, for the sake of completeness, "...all newly purchased cards that haven't just been put in to play to upgrade a pathogen already in play..."

As you say, so far so deckbuilder... apart from upgrading pathogens in play, which is a bit different. Apart from the incongruity in the language I'm sure you're playing it correctly.

And yes, if you can afford a Level 3 pathogen right off the bat then go ahead. It'll likely take a couple of turns of "saving" to be able to afford it, though, and in the meantime your Level 1 pathogen could be doing some damage on your behalf, ready to be upgraded later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kirkwood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It's more like an optional choice.

You CAN treat the newly purchased pathogen as a normal card, which gets placed in your discard pile to be drawn later.
OR you can choose to replace a pathogen that's out to get a better version out sooner.
It is worth noting that the replaced pathogen is removed from the game. So, if it's a starting pathogen it goes back in the box, and if it's a bought one, it goes back on it's respective pile.
It's a good way to clear out your rubbish starting pathogens without having to buy a mutation/survival of the fittest card.

Only just started playing this game recently, although I've had it since launch on KS. I'm a microbiologist, so a lot of this game is like total fan service to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr_Z wrote:
Only just started playing this game recently, although I've had it since launch on KS. I'm a microbiologist, so a lot of this game is like total fan service to me
What do you think of the pretty pictures? Do they make sense to you, or are they just made-up eye candy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.