Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for a light but relevant wargame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Hill
msg tools
mb
Hi all,

I am going on a month-long outsourcing to Brazil and I am looking for a good war game with high replay value that will fit in my (fairly small) luggage. I got myself Folio series: Wilsons Creek and am decently pleased with that, but I want something better/cooler. I can fit a small box in my luggage no problem, but I cant fit Memoir 44 or War in the Pacific.

Do you have any suggestion for me? Preferably something that I can actually buy in stores today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Tim Parker
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the "20" series, such as Waterloo 20. Low counter density, easy to pack flat in ziplock bags, and enough variety in the series to keep you interested for a while. You can see the reviews here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
badge
baldyr wrote:
Hi all,

I am going on a month-long outsourcing to Brazil and I am looking for a good war game with high replay value that will fit in my (fairly small) luggage. I got myself Folio series: Wilsons Creek and am decently pleased with that, but I want something better/cooler. I can fit a small box in my luggage no problem, but I cant fit Memoir 44 or War in the Pacific.

Do you have any suggestion for me? Preferably something that I can actually buy in stores today.

Check out the games from Revolution Games (II).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"Improvise. Adapt. Overcome." Clint in Heartbreak Ridge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree -- go to the Revolution Games website and scroll through their games. Wide variety, from WW2 to naval to ACW to medieval and more. Most are in ziplock, though some come in small boxes.

My favorites are
Stonewall's Sword: The Battle of Cedar Mountain
Battles of the Bulge: Celles
Red Typhoon

Good quality, fun games, wide variety, and decent prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Gustini Simões
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baldyr wrote:
Hi all,

Let me know if it's Belo Horizonte you're coming to. Would be a pleasure to play with you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Battles of the Bulge: Celles. Great replay value. Two others, both with great replay value:

Patton's Vanguard. This is an area game, if you like that (whereas Celles is hex-and-counter).

Gazala: The Cauldron. Same system as Celles, but in North Africa instead of Western Europe (if you would prefer that theater).

All of these can be fit into a large envelope. I don't know if they come with dice; make sure you take a pair with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
House of Normandy has four scenarios and Battles on the Ice has two. They're both fun games and don't take up much space. They also come in actually boxes, so they hold up better for travel than ziplock packaged games. Seven Pines; or, Fair Oaks also meets those criteria and has three scenarios.

Aside from the ziplock issue, I'd also recommend a lot of Revolution Games products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles is a good game and doesn't have a huge footprint on the table or for transporting. The 2nd edition box is bigger than the 1st edition but I'd probably not bring it in the box anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Pender
United Kingdom
Helston
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
light and easy to learn and play i would suggest any of these two:

or

Both are easy to learn, can be put in a zip lock and are very enjoyable (be warned though, the Lock n Load tactical game will get you buying the rest of the series it is that good IMHO).

Perry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Hughes
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rifles in the Ardennes
Agricola, Master of Britain
Charlemagne, Master of Europe
Invaders from Dimension X!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mircea Pauca
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For solo with short play intervals and replayability, the Victory Point Games States of Siege Series . Old editions were ziplock only, newer are in small box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Road to Cheren

This is a really good tiny game. I've played it 4 or 5 times. It also solo's really well. I agree Celles and Gazala are also really fun with Celles being the slightly easier/lighter game. Both solo very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Hoepper
msg tools
mbmbmb
My suggestion would be, as long as you have a modern electronical device like a pad, access to a printer, access to internet to download something print and play. Lou Coatney has some very good games for free, their assembly is mostly done in an hour or two and when you leave the country, you can can simply discard it or give it away to somebody you might have gotten interested in wargaming .

For tactical I would also recommend Valor & Victory, another p-n-p game. He also has a starter kit out, so playing can start quickly.

Inexpensive way when you intend to travel light, don´t want to invest money and need something to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"relevant" to what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eagles: Waterloo, especially the 58 cards of the Quatre Bras game, [no need for Howitzer Fire as it can't be used]. There's a good set on Geek for $10, put it in deck protectors. There's my card list in the file section. I'd recommend the advanced rule suggestions. This is a small, but desperate encounter. Nice graphics. Takes up next to no space. Two-player as the Allied defender must bluff with face-down cards.

For a solo game, maybe Mrs Thatcher's War: The Falklands, 1982. Definitely relevant, as rugby-playing Brazilian subalterns were not infrequently seconded to the Argentine Marines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Preiser
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
SFMF
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to look at some of the Minis or Folios from Decision Games.
They usually have fewer counters and are in ziplocks so they don't take up a lot of space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hill
msg tools
mb
Thanks for a lot of great suggestions everyone! I will look into them all. By first glance though, quite a few of them feel like they are a bit hard to find in stores...

By "relevant" (intentionally unclear formulated ) I mean games that are really war games, not stuff like Pocket Battle or similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
baldyr wrote:
By first glance though, quite a few of them feel like they are a bit hard to find in stores...

Why limit your yourself to stores ? Have a look at the Geekmarket. What I also found to be working regularly is to contact a fellow geek who rated a game really low asking if he would consider selling it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hill
msg tools
mb
Geeks are strange folks though... I should know, im one of them!

More seriously, apart from just being easier to buy things, its always more fun if the game is in print and available. Then its easy for me to convince a friend to puchase it or an expansion etc. With games from 2008 or 1987 its not that easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hill
msg tools
mb
Nighteyes77 wrote:
I have to put in another nod for the ones from Revolution Games and will add one of my personal favorites: Operation Battleaxe. I also really enjoy Last Battle: Ie Shima.

Recently started playing around with Paul Koenig's Market Garden: Arnhem Bridge and for a light wargame, it is quite enjoyable. Have played it a few times and each time was able to employ a different strategy which to me, shows it has some replay value.

All of these have pretty low counter density, under 90 minute play times and come in zips.

Excellent suggestions! I bought both Ie Shima and Operation battleaxe right away. Big thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baldyr wrote:
Nighteyes77 wrote:
I have to put in another nod for the ones from Revolution Games and will add one of my personal favorites: Operation Battleaxe. I also really enjoy Last Battle: Ie Shima.

Recently started playing around with Paul Koenig's Market Garden: Arnhem Bridge and for a light wargame, it is quite enjoyable. Have played it a few times and each time was able to employ a different strategy which to me, shows it has some replay value.

All of these have pretty low counter density, under 90 minute play times and come in zips.

Excellent suggestions! I bought both Ie Shima and Operation battleaxe right away. Big thanks.

Well Fred, if you like those, the same designer has just published Stalingrad: Verdun on the Volga which I am enjoying very much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wickens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how much you want solo play, solitaire (AI) play or to rope others in and if so what their wargaming experience would be.

I really like how Hollandspiele makes lots of its games available as PNP on Wargamevault. Aside from the very affordable prices you also are going to get something pretty light and transportable if you want. How about Table Battles ( I have only played one of them but for 8 battles its just 50 odd cards and a few dice and cubes. It is also pretty entry level so easy to get others to play as its only 1 step up from Yahtzee but not without interesting choices. 2 Player but no hidden info so easy to solo.

There are also some solitaire designs they have done - I enjoyed dipping into Charlamaine (sp).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baldyr wrote:
Geeks are strange folks though... I should know, im one of them!

More seriously, apart from just being easier to buy things, its always more fun if the game is in print and available. Then its easy for me to convince a friend to puchase it or an expansion etc. With games from 2008 or 1987 its not that easy.

Just FYI, if you want to get anything from Hollandspiele, Revolution Games, or Tiny Battle Publishing, you have to buy directly from their websites. Hollandspiele and Tiny Battle both offer print-and-play downloads through Wargame Vault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Actually Revolution Games are available from quite a few places besides our website. In Europe we have a good dozen distributors and shops that carry our games. Canada Le Valet. In US Noble Knight or Fine Games. But we love folks who buy from our website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett McLay
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might I suggest PnP:

Maquis (2013)
Convoy Commander (2017)

__
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.