14 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: How many actual heroes in a campaign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny M.
msg tools
mbmbmb
I know the game is for two to five players, meaning four heroes and an Imperial player. One of my gaming groups is regularly six or seven people, with a most of us having a bit of board gaming experience. One guy is new to the whole experience, with only ten or so games with us under his belt.

Would it be possible to play the game with five or six heroes, to accommodate everyone? I figure it would be stupid easy for them, with the game as normal + two more heroes, but could you compensate for the extra heroes, somehow? Maybe, double the Imperial troops, or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm looking forward to having some real talk with some real folks!
badge
Hi, I'm Matt, A radar technician.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghido wrote:
I know the game is for two to five players, meaning four heroes and an Imperial player. One of my gaming groups is regularly six or seven people, with a most of us having a bit of board gaming experience. One guy is new to the whole experience, with only ten or so games with us under his belt.

Would it be possible to play the game with five or six heroes, to accommodate everyone? I figure it would be stupid easy for them, with the game as normal + two more heroes, but could you compensate for the extra heroes, somehow? Maybe, double the Imperial troops, or something?

With the extra heroes you really break the balance... I would say that you would need to start with extra threat with an optional deployment. I would say at least 2 times the threat level with 5 heroes and 3 times with 6 heroes.

I would also increase the number of optional deployment cards by 1 to give the empire more flexibility to counter the additional heroes ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Various methods have been proposed, but I've never seen anyone saying they've found one that worked well.

You could perhaps gift the Rebels an Ally from the start and have one player control the Ally, and maybe have the other share the load of the Imperial Player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:

You could perhaps gift the Rebels an Ally from the start and have one player control the Ally, and maybe have the other share the load of the Imperial Player.

This is exactly what I was thinking! I’ve done that when I’ve had six players. Be sure to still give the Imperial player the Threat boost for the Ally.

Alternately you could just be less friendly so you don’t have as many friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also been suggested that it's more fun if a second player joins the dark side and shares control of the Imperials. (They decide who handles which deployment card, try to strike agreements on threat expenditure or have one player do threat and the other do some class cards). And then add another hero...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty
United States
California
flag msg tools
Clipper wrote:
You could perhaps gift the Rebels an Ally from the start and have one player control the Ally...

My group has used this twice and it has worked out well. The first time was "The Battle of Hoth" from "Return to Hoth". That one worked out exceptionally well because the rebel team has an incentive to keep the Echo Base Troopers alive and the troopers are part of the mission.

The second time we did this was "Infiltrated" from "Twin Shadows". The rebels brought in (original) Han Solo and we gave him a reduced cost of 9. We allowed Han to have a "wounded" status which gave the imperial another 9 threat. It worked out pretty well, I think it could work out better now with newer heroes (eg. Ahsoka or Jedi Luke) or to use the re-costed skirmish variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty
United States
California
flag msg tools
Herman92 wrote:
It's also been suggested that it's more fun if a second player joins the dark side and shares control of the Imperials. (They decide who handles which deployment card, try to strike agreements on threat expenditure or have one player do threat and the other do some class cards). And then add another hero...

We haven't had a chance to try this yet. Since there can be a lot of things going on from the imperial perspective it seems like a good idea. My only concern is that it would be difficult to discuss upcoming mission events/triggers without tipping off the rebel heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Godballe
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have two Imperial Players, you can also assign them rank.

One is "the officer" in charge of only deployment cards and what they should be doing.

The other is "the overlord" who decides how threat is spent, what agenda cards or class cards to use. He also gains a "executive order" on one, and only one, figure pr. round. This figure can attack or move as per the elite officer ability.

This would give the two Imperial Players a unique role each when playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Godballe
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the "5th Hero" Player you can start them out by giving them a cheap ally to control. Every mission, the ally gains XP like the real heroes.

These XP + deployment cost (let's say it's 3 in the beginning and after a couple of missions, you have earned 3 XP) equals the cost of what ever ally you want to change the ally to. That means that you can change which ally to play throughout the mission, so this player gains the experience of "upgrading" too.

The 5th Hero could be "Rebel Control" who assigns better and better allies to more and more dangerous missions...

This can even be used as a counter to snowball-effects, if you assign extra XP to the "Rebel Control" as a way to suggest that they are getting more and more desperate for the Rebels to succeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be plenty who disagree with this, but we found playing the Core Set Campaign worked better with 5 heroes after twice having the empire squash groups of 4. There's so much random stuff in here that, even with 5 heroes, missions weren't a walk in the park and they certainly didn't win all of them.

That said, the Hoth campaign seems much better balanced and 5 heroes would probably break that.

I guess it depends on how you like your games - if just telling a bunch of stories is what you're after, sod it, go for 5. If you are very competitive and winning is important then you should probably stick to 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
If they are limited to the lowest tier heroes the extra hero might not make much difference.

It's also possible that instead of giving the fifth player an ally, that they get the skirmish version of a hero. Someone who is initially stronger but who can't get xp upgrades.

You could allow the player controlled ally to be able to use gear other than weapons and be capable of resting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grumbletweezer wrote:
There's so much random stuff in here that, even with 5 heroes, missions weren't a walk in the park and they certainly didn't win all of them.

Which 5 heroes did you guys use? If I allowed any 5 no restriction with my group they'd jump in excitement and pick Fenn + Gideon + Diala + Vinto + Shyla

grumbletweezer wrote:
That said, the Hoth campaign seems much better balanced and 5 heroes would probably break that.

I've found that on the contrary, Hoth campaign is extremely Rebel-favored and I had to ban some hero combinations to stand a chance as Imperial (ahem, looking at you MHD-19). Perhaps your Rebels aren't playing mean/cut-throat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny M.
msg tools
mbmbmb
ricope wrote:
...pick Fenn + Gideon + Diala + Vinto + Shyla

I'm only using the core box heroes: Fenn, Gideon, Diala, Mak, Jyn, and Gaarkan. I don't have any expansions, so there's a limit to how "broken" the combos can get, right? I'm only looking to add the other core set releases, for now. (I have to replace those awful tokens). Rebel Saboteurs/Troopers, General Weiss, Han Solo, etc.

These are good suggestions, people. Thank you. I've never played the game, either, so I'm just reading and watching videos to figure out stuff. Some of the suggestions given above don't quite register with me yet (like increasing threat for Imperials), though I'm starting to grasp things a bit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricope wrote:

Which 5 heroes did you guys use? If I allowed any 5 no restriction with my group they'd jump in excitement and pick Fenn + Gideon + Diala + Vinto + Shyla

I made the 5th the medical droid from Hoth - it gets a bit nasty once tooled up but I wouldn't let them have another tank :) Note, they didn't get an extra 100 credits per mission so they had no more to spend on kit.

ricope wrote:

I've found that on the contrary, Hoth campaign is extremely Rebel-favored and I had to ban some hero combinations to stand a chance as Imperial (ahem, looking at you MHD-19). Perhaps your Rebels aren't playing mean/cut-throat?

I think that shows just how many random elements there are and how difficult it is to predict the effect of any tweaks we make in the name of balance. We just enjoy blowing stuff up :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.