Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Clemente
United States
Seabrook
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Historically, Yuri Gagarin was the first man in space (box 4 in the space race column).

Following that were Alan Shepherd with a sub-orbital flight and John Glenn with the first American orbital flight.

With these facts in mind, I don't agree with the scoring of box 4, Man in Space at 2/0. Obviously, although they didn't do it first, the American space program recovered enough to eventually win the space race.

It seems to me the scoring for Man in Space should be 2/1, both for the historical reasons and consistency with the scoring in other space race plateaus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did USA win the space race? The last space in the track is for "Space station" and that was the Saylut 1

What I am trying to say is the following (and please this is not an attack against USA, a country that I really like and I appreciate) - I always get the feeling that USA believes that they won because of the moon landing, which is an impressive, history-changing feat, but also is the first man in space and the first station in space. Both sides did great things in space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clemente
United States
Seabrook
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The space race as defined by JFK in the early 60's was to put a man on the moon by the end of the decade, and bring him back safely. This was accomplished by the US. However, I believe this is secondary to my main point, i.e., putting a man in orbit either first or second should pay a point in either case. The USSR's orbiting of Yuri Gagarin was a tremendous feat and earned world wide acclaim. But the US orbiting John Glenn second should be worth something, not nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From a moral point of view, I agree. Any step in the space race that gives points to the first one visiting, should also give points to the second one visiting it.

For instance, had the Soviet Union being able to put a man in the moon, it would have been worth VP. John Glenn walk in space is worth points also.

Morally, I complete agree about the 2/1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about 3/1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jamuki wrote:
Did USA win the space race? The last space in the track is for "Space station" and that was the Saylut 1

What I am trying to say is the following (and please this is not an attack against USA, a country that I really like and I appreciate) - I always get the feeling that USA believes that they won because of the moon landing, which is an impressive, history-changing feat, but also is the first man in space and the first station in space. Both sides did great things in space.

I'd doubt few would argue that one thing that Americans excel at is marketing. The US marketed the position that the space race was the first to the moon. So for many, that became the race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... I am disgusted and disappointed, but I still want to believe people can be honest and sensible.
badge
If am still here, it is only for the gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
fredact wrote:
jamuki wrote:

I'd doubt few would argue that one thing that Americans excel at is marketing. The US marketed the position that the space race was the first to the moon. So for many, that became the race.

When in fact the race was about ICBMs, spy satellites and anti-ICBM space systems. I still remember watching a documentary about the commercial extraction and use of undersea manganase modules on Romanian public TV in the 1970s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.