Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to have this game badly and asked a lot of patience from both a friend in SA and the designer to get it. I've owned the game for a while now and haven't gotten it to the table. Mostly due to lack of willing opponents but also because I shied away from even schiz-solo-ing it whenever I came back to it and tried reading the rules.

In another thread a user wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
Honestly it's like a miniatures game, very slow moving and fiddly, lots of pieces to keep track of, awkward rules, not something a kid would enjoy.

And from another thread:
aramis wrote:
...the game is played in "real time"

I've also played games to a set number of turns; if doing that, setting for kicks and scrums should be about 1d6/2 turns. A skilled player can take a turn in 5 minutes consistently, 2 minutes if playing really quick.

I guess my biggest problem is that I'm just a casual rugby fan and have never played myself. So not only would it take me forever to take a single turn - I wouldn't even know what to do. Well, that's how I felt when I experimented with the game when reading the rules first. I guess the game would have a steep learning curve and take a lot of "plays" to enjoy it.

I have three inquiries:

1) Do you know of anything that could "save" the game for me?
To be honest I don't believe it could be saved. "2 minutes per turn if playing quickly" is not what I want. Also with other sports-themed games I always preferred more abstracted games. There are many football/soccer games out there, but I just can't get excited for all the Football games with grid-movement. In my books, an example for an awesome American Football game is 1st & Goal. (Baseball Highlights: 2045 is an awesome game whatsoever.)

2) What other rugby games are out there?
By browsing the geek, I found Kahmaté to be the only relevant alternative to Crash Tackle. This one might be more suited to my taste as it is quicker/less detailed. (The GeekList mentioned above has a few more but these all seem not to be supported in any way.) There are also some dice-chuckers but mostly these are purely dependend on luck and offer no decisions. Speaking of which...

3) Have you advice for me regarding (sports-themed) dice games?
I've posted this recommendation request without any success yet: Quick dice (only) chucker with spatial element? (Rugby game idea).

Thanks, all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fourth Quarter Football

Seems to be playing fast. (Claimed 90 minutes) A team is reduced to 7 players and special pieces to mark player status. No doubt designer wants a fast playing game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/243113/fourth-quarter-fo...

homepage

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2013971464/fourth-quart...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Grandini
Italy
Rubiera
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,
from what you are writing, yes CT is not your game.
We played 2 minutes turns to avoid the Analysis/Paralysis effect and to bring to the table the excitement of being on the field where you have to rush your decision and think fast if you want to prevail.
CT i s the most accurate simulation of a rugby game out there, there are a lot of advanced rules that bring the simulation closer and closer to real rugby, but you can start using the basic ones and see if it suits you better.
All in all I cannot recommend any other game on rugby more than this.

PS I Never played rugby either
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My first game: BASKETmind, a simple yet realistic 5on5 basketball game
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
By browsing the geek, I found Kahmaté to be the only relevant alternative to Crash Tackle. This one might be more suited to my taste as it is quicker/less detailed. (The GeekList mentioned above has a few more but these all seem not to be supported in any way.)

I have played both, and I kept Kahmaté because it felt like rugby but was much simpler and faster to play. Of course CT is the better game, but only if you will be able to play it, and it was not my case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Welch
England
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tim

Also agree that Crash Tackle is a game I want to like, but it's just too fiddly to keep track of who has moved.
You could try playing the seven-a-side variant which helps.

Of the other rugby games that have individual player pieces, the two I enjoy most are Kahmate(a quick play one, and we use dice for the tackles rather than the cards), and the "Rugby Addicts board game" (only move a few players each turn, so easier and quicker playing, plus a dexterity kicking device!)

Some other rugby games are listed here: Rugby Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
When I first stumbled upon this game I had watched maybe 10 minutes of Rugby in my life. I wasn't even a casual fan, I was totally clueless I'm now a huge fan of the board game and because of the enjoyment that the board game brought me, I'm now also a huge (though still casual) fan of the actual sport. Crash Tackle actually does feature quite elegant and clever abstractions in its rules but in the end is all about player positioning and manipulating luck. So I would absolutely agree that it feels very much like a wargame and that may just not be your thing. But Crash Tackle also has a large variety of playing options to scale the complexity and depth along with your experience level and available time. Like I said, when I first found this game I hardly even knew Rugby existed and still fell in love. Actually, back then (2010-ish) I feel like it was generally considered one of the quickest and lightest games around. I think some people even put it on Beer & Pretzels level. Here's some things I did and that I hope can save the game for you.

Use the Vassal Software Program and associated Crash Tackle Vassal Module. It's easy to download, and easy to install and use. You might even be able to play with your friend over the internet or do a play by e-mail type thing. The Vassal Module looks beautiful, and has a fine interface that even keeps track of player movement and dice rolls for you. It can display every player's tackle zone as well, which is a huge help in visualizing the defensive line. It really speeds up play by making piece manipulation simple and easy. I have used and continue to use it extensively.

Play the Sevens style and play with the most basic and bare rules possible. I think I used to just remove all the forwards and play with only the Backs, Wings, and Fullback. Forget about rucks, penalties, scrums, lineouts, substitutes, and Pressure Play cards. Seriously just stick to the very basic rules in the instructions and it's a frenetic blast, especially with just Sevens. I played like that probably close to a dozen times and had enough fun to start considering buying the most deluxe edition of the game on offer. I slowly added rules as I felt more comfortable.

Play in turns, and play matches one Half at a time. You don't need to put yourself under a strict time limit when starting out. For Sevens, you can probably use the turn amount listed on the official Crash Tackle website. For the full team, I think I used to do 20 turns per player per half. Also, you can make each play session just one half of a single match. After halftime, the match completely resets in just about every way so you can easily pack things up after the first Half and continue the match on your next session. This obviously means that the amount of time you need to set aside per session is cut in half. Of the match variables that don't reset, you can easily write scores and such on a scrap of paper or record it on a sheet of the score tracker that might have come with your game.

In the files section on this page is a file called ACTION REPLAY. It's a sheet that allows you to mark off who on your team moved. Print out two, even on thin paper. Grab any random counters or coins and you're set. Keep track of which player's moved for each other so that the active coach can focus on tactics and the other coach can keep his friend honest . You can even use it with Sevens if you'd like.

I really hope you give the game a shot and you don't have to be a tactical expert to have fun. I'm certainly not. In fact improvising, guessing, learning, adapting, and discussing strategy with other players is all part of the fun for me. If you have tactical questions I'm sure there are people on this board who would be ready and willing to offer advice. Although, if you follow some of the things I've suggested I don't think you'll need expert decision making to start enjoying it.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.