Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Omni Gamer
United States
Norman
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this game compare to Endure the Stars? In your opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Like a zillion times better from what I saw. Endure the stars is just a show how not to treat you KS backers. First you sell them beta product with half baked rules, then you use info you got from them to 'fix' the game and charge them again quite a lot to 'fix' their game beta you sold them. Yea, I wouldnt touch nothing from Grimlord games tbh.
Game was far to easy, and after watching how to play, I was instantly turned off by a lot of rules. Nice minis though, but unfortunately for them, just minis don't make the game.

On the other hand, everything I saw from AW points to a great new game studio
And looking and Nemesis rules, it really does seem like it will be a blast to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
there's at least 4 reviews and 1 actual playthrough on youtube right now.

It's what I'm very looking forward to this year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smurfORnot wrote:
Like a zillion times better from what I saw. Endure the stars is just a show how not to treat you KS backers. First you sell them beta product with half baked rules, then you use info you got from them to 'fix' the game and charge them again quite a lot to 'fix' their game beta you sold them. Yea, I wouldnt touch nothing from Grimlord games tbh.
Game was far to easy, and after watching how to play, I was instantly turned off by a lot of rules. Nice minis though, but unfortunately for them, just minis don't make the game.

And looking and Nemesis rules, it really does seem like it will be a blast to play!

Hard to argue against this point and is the reason I'm not backing ETS ( otherwise I would, if not just for the mini's ). That said, I couldn't resist and backed Village Attacks ( looks incredible, hilarious concept ). Even if you ignore the initial KS "failure" for ETS, Nemesis does seem to be the better game ( and it has the highly successful Lords of Hellas feather in the company's hat ). So both from a company success history and current game design perspective, I would say Nemesis is the way to go if you're only going to back one of them ( BUT - I think I like ETS mini's overall more than Nemesis ). I'm probably going to back Nemesis, but on the fence as imho the mini's aren't as impressive as Awaken Realms previous 2 games ( Lords of Hellas, The Edge: Dawnfall ) ... here's hoping they have some tasty stuff with the stretch goals.

Superior Legacy: Nemesis
Miniature designs and quantity: ETS for now, will see when Nemesis KS hits
Miniature materials quality: Don't know which is better, but probably Nemesis
Theme: close to identical ( maybe too close )
Game Logic: Don't know, but appear to be different enough mechanics that both could be fun to play even if you had both. ETS has both advantage ( was vetted already ) and disadvantage ( pissed a lot of people off ) in this respect. BUT - updating the game and re-releasing it was the right thing to do for a game company who is serious and is a going concern, for which Grimlord Games appear to be. Off topic, but Village Attacks appears to best both of these sci-fi games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh DuJordan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smurfORnot wrote:

I have EtS, and even I have to agree with smurfORnot on this one. I like EtS for the mini's and art, but sadly there's not a lot under the hood when it comes to gameplay I feel like.

Just looking at everything for this game, it looks much more robust and in-depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilhem Bedos
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, the main difference comes from the scale of the games. Endure the Stars is at a tactical level of some sort when Nemesis is at a higher scale, which will probably make the game more abstract for lack of a better word. You may also miss some interesting situations like the one which happened to me the other day, when my survivors got stuck in a room because of a malfunctioning door which opened only after some GEPs were spawned in the room right behind said door: so they waited for this door to open and when it finally did a bunch of monsters were right behind, which was pretty funny-Endure the Stars is full of unexpected things like that..

Also, Endure the Stars is fully cooperative while Nemesis has some backstabbing mechanics, which may endanger some of your friendships or in the contrary make for far more interesting plays. Your choice. While I'm on the mechanics, Endure the Stars has the great advantage of being quick and simple to play, without zillion of components laying around and taking ages to set up or plenty of small rules and particular cases to dig into while trying to figure out of a specific situation. The downside is that many things are simplified. I'm not sure that Nemesis is far more complicated though...

But what I truly like in Endure the Stars is the setting. This decaying derelict full of monsters and half mad people makes for an interesting environment and background. On many aspects, this slowly crumbling ship is far more dangerous for the survivors than the GEPs themselves. Actually, my survivors lose health from life support failures far more often than from GEPs attacks. Once you understand the goal of the game is to avoid these creatures instead of confronting them, you've made half of the job already. I don't think players can use a similar tactic in Nemesis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Man
msg tools
smurfORnot wrote:

Totally with you here.
Nemesis board look simple but nice where EtS are just awful. Miniatures are ok at most. Zombicide in space wannabe with poor result. And that 'second edition' KS in less than a year.
Dont compare those games because EtS already loose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.