Hide
10 Posts

Fallout» Forums » Rules

Subject: FYI: Shop rules clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Ostyn
msg tools
In case anybody missed this: when a city action card lets you shop, you usually may complete as many transactions (buying or selling one item) as the city level, unless the card gives an explicit number otherwise. That’s what the symbol on the card is trying to say. We just realized this last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Tamariz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
We were wondering the same thing when we went shopping. I got the same answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragedy Trousers
msg tools
mb
Wow, great spot. Man, FFG made a mess of the rules with this one. There's a few occasions where vital information is only in one book and not the other - and they're not even consistent with which book.

You need to read both books 100% before you play, which kinda makes the whole 'reference guide' concept useless IMO.

In the case of shopping, the rule about the shop icon being = to level for shopping isn't mentioned in the 'how to shop' instructions, which say this:

When performing an encounter at a settlement, you will often
get the chance to sell items, buy items, or recruit companions
from the shop. When this happens, draw one card from the top
of the asset deck and add it to the left side of the shop. The
encounter specifies a number; this is the maximum number of
items that you can buy and sell. For example, if the encounter
reads “shop twice,” you could buy two assets, or buy one asset
and sell one asset, or sell two assets.

We took that to mean one icon means one shop, as when you're using a multiplier of a level it explicitly has, e.g. (LOOT ICON X WASTELAND ICON]; seems we weren't the only ones to miss this...

In fact, the rules that change this are instead found in a side box on Encounter Level and not mentioned in the shopping part, as follows:

ENCOUNTER LEVEL
Each encounter icon on the map has a corresponding
number that indicates its level. When the result bar shows an
encounter icon in place of a number, treat that
as being equal to the level of the encounter icon you are at.
For example, if you are resolving an encounter at the level 2
Red Rocket station and the encounter reads "LOOTxWASTELAND," you
would draw two loot cards.

So apparently this also applies to the shopping icons as well, although the rules never say this explicitly in the HTP or reference book. And for shopping it's just using the SHOP icon as the number, instead of the multiplication method as per their example, or the 'shop twice' as per their other example.

What a kerfuffle. At least we'll know for next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I see it as a silly rule. I think that it makes sense in terms of what the limit of items are in terms of availability, but the limit in buying and selling really should be how much money you have. I mean why in heck would a wastelander send you away after buying one item from their store if you have more caps to part with?

I can see a limit on selling, but not buying. Just seems illogical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragedy Trousers
msg tools
mb
I suppose the thematic explanation is that bigger shopping locations will have more opportunities to do deals than smaller ones, but yeah, it seems a bit unnecessary to me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Martel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TragedyTrousers wrote:
Wow, great spot. Man, FFG made a mess of the rules with this one. There's a few occasions where vital information is only in one book and not the other - and they're not even consistent with which book.

You need to read both books 100% before you play, which kinda makes the whole 'reference guide' concept useless IMO.

In the case of shopping, the rule about the shop icon being = to level for shopping isn't mentioned in the 'how to shop' instructions, which say this:

When performing an encounter at a settlement, you will often
get the chance to sell items, buy items, or recruit companions
from the shop. When this happens, draw one card from the top
of the asset deck and add it to the left side of the shop. The
encounter specifies a number; this is the maximum number of
items that you can buy and sell. For example, if the encounter
reads “shop twice,” you could buy two assets, or buy one asset
and sell one asset, or sell two assets.

We took that to mean one icon means one shop, as when you're using a multiplier of a level it explicitly has, e.g. (LOOT ICON X WASTELAND ICON]; seems we weren't the only ones to miss this...

In fact, the rules that change this are instead found in a side box on Encounter Level and not mentioned in the shopping part, as follows:

ENCOUNTER LEVEL
Each encounter icon on the map has a corresponding
number that indicates its level. When the result bar shows an
encounter icon in place of a number, treat that
as being equal to the level of the encounter icon you are at.
For example, if you are resolving an encounter at the level 2
Red Rocket station and the encounter reads "LOOTxWASTELAND," you
would draw two loot cards.

So apparently this also applies to the shopping icons as well, although the rules never say this explicitly in the HTP or reference book. And for shopping it's just using the SHOP icon as the number, instead of the multiplication method as per their example, or the 'shop twice' as per their other example.

What a kerfuffle. At least we'll know for next time!

I'm still in the reading process of this game and I would like to point out page 12 of the rule reference. Bottom left in Shopping.

...the survivor can perform any of the following interaction. He or she can perform a number of of these interactions equal to the value specified by the encounter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V H
United States
Concordia
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a shop rule question. On cards like 005 that are staged the #1 result says to trash if you succeed, shop once if you fail. #2 result says to go shopping.

So after you have went shopping does the card stay staged or is it trashed?

And if it stays staged can you only complete it again on the settlement it was drawn at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
gokuja wrote:
I have a shop rule question. On cards like 005 that are staged the #1 result says to trash if you succeed, shop once if you fail. #2 result says to go shopping.

And if it stays staged can you only complete it again on the settlement it was drawn at?

So, 005 is a card that is added, not staged. The difference is that it does not stay face up on the table. Instead it is shuffled into the top cards of the settlement encounter deck. When you encounter the card, choose which path to take and determine the outcome. If it says trash, the card is removed from the game. If it does not, it is put in the discard pile for the settlement encounters. If you continue to do encounters at settlements, you will eventually shuffle the deck and maybe see it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V H
United States
Concordia
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stl0369 wrote:
gokuja wrote:

So, 005 is a card that is added, not staged. The difference is that it does not stay face up on the table. Instead it is shuffled into the top cards of the settlement encounter deck. When you encounter the card, choose which path to take and determine the outcome. If it says trash, the card is removed from the game. If it does not, it is put in the discard pile for the settlement encounters. If you continue to do encounters at settlements, you will eventually shuffle the deck and maybe see it again.

Yes we added it to the encounter deck first. I just missed that it is suppose to be discarded after the result if it is not trashed. thanks for the reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Schwendemann
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stl0369 wrote:
gokuja wrote:

I'm pretty sure it is supposed to go on the bottom of the deck, not into a discard pile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.