Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Box 4 has the same number of villains and locations as Game 7 of the base game.

Has anyone tried substituting the Horcrux cards for the encounter cards when playing a Box 4 game?

I guess they should present the same overall challenge?

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not tried that specific substitution but I did play a game with 12 random villain/creatures using the Horcrux deck. I think the Horcrux deck is a bit easier to manage. One reason for this is that you have Arithmancy, which is specifically geared to help defeat the Horcrux deck. You don't have a similar Proficiency that will counter all Encounter cards. The second reason, and somewhat similar, is that because all the Horcrux cards have the same requirement (dice rolls) the cards you acquire for Horcrux 1 also help you for Horcrux 2, and so on. Two Horcruxes even give you die roll abilities to help you defeat later Horcruxes. The Encounter deck is basically a moving target and defeating Encounter 1 rarely helps you defeat Encounter 2. I realize there only three Encounters and seven Horcruxes, but nonetheless, I felt the Encounters were more difficult. (Caveat: basing this on one data point.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.