Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love this game. I really do.

Last night I convinced the wife to plop it on the table (the game...) I have an undefeated record at home, thanks to playing several games online to get the hang of it before I bought a copy. So I hit the ground running with my usual strategy of narrowing my first ingredient down to only 2 symbols within the first 2 rounds, so that I can at least hedge against the third color by the third round and get a theory published.

Along the way I grabbed the magic mortar artifact that lets me keep one of the two ingredients. I've found that useful in the past. My wife however got an artifact (can't remember the name) that lets her SEE one of my ingredients, and of course hear what my resulting potion was. Quite an advantage... ...you would think...

And then I really shot myself in the foot.

On round six, I had a rock-solid strategy; grab the feather, sell a potion with a proven outcome, take the 4 gold to buy an artifact that makes publishing free, and publish my second theory...

Well, then my wife got a round of analysis paralysis and took several minutes getting her action cubes on the board, and by the time it was my turn, I COMPLETELY forgot to grab the feather, and realized a turn later that I had screwed myself completely, with no gold to buy an artifact OR publish a theory...

So round 7 came around, and - in all fairness, I already had a few beers and 2 hot toddies in me... So, I had only managed to confirm the symbols of two ingredients. I published one theory, but then my wife played the symbol I was going to use to publish my second theory on a different ingredient...

#Record scratch...#

So I threw out a hedged-guess on another ingredient to at least get something else on the board, but was still getting clobbered with 3 theories to her 4.

And then the sh*t really hit the fan.

After the final round, we revealed the answers. It was so bad, I questioned whether or not we had both entered the same code into our individual copies of the app... The ONLY theory I had right was the last-minute hedge guess I threw out. Since it was a hedge though, I didn't get any points. My other two theories were wrong, 2 of hers were wrong, one was right (worth 5 points,) and the other (correct) one was a hedge (no points.) So in the end I earned as many points as I started with (10,) and she had 20.

I was more befuddled at how I had gotten so many symbol assignments wrong than worrying about actually losing. She mentioned how nice it was to get some of the answers handed to her with her artifact, but even then she still had two theories wrong...

It was just painful!

So, if you read this far, I'd like to spark a discussion while I'm at it - does anyone who plays this game frequently 2-player have the golem expansion? I'm debating whether its worth getting if it's usually just my wife and I playing (and clearly we're not as good at the base game as I thought we were!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Get the expansion, sure. The Startup Funding and The Busy Days modules are just things that give you variance from game to game without making things any more difficult, and we can't imagine playing without them any more.

But until you're reliably ending the game with most or all theories correct, I'd avoid the Royal Encyclopedia and Golem Project modules as each of them add a lot more deduction and brainwork to the game that you don't need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Casual notes:
Her artifact was the periscope
There are only 6 rounds in the game, the beers took their toll
You can buy the printing press (that lets you publish for free) only by the end of round 3.

The game. Is very enjoyable at 2p, and the expansion is fantastic, but you and your wife should get better at the game, especially deduction-wise and “operatively” (not making mistakes in the bookkeeping) before using it, as the golem module really makes everything harder.

Have fun with the base game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ViperMan wrote:
does anyone who plays this game frequently 2-player have the golem expansion? I'm debating whether its worth getting if it's usually just my wife and I playing (and clearly we're not as good at the base game as I thought we were!)

I play exclusively 2 player and the golem expansion is absolutely a must buy. It really feels like the game was initially designed with it and they 'simplified' it for the base game.

(I have no knowledge that that is in fact what happened, but I mean to say that it doesn't feel tacked-on, it feels perfectly integrated)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
ViperMan wrote:
does anyone who plays this game frequently 2-player have the golem expansion? I'm debating whether its worth getting if it's usually just my wife and I playing (and clearly we're not as good at the base game as I thought we were!)

I play exclusively 2 player and the golem expansion is absolutely a must buy. It really feels like the game was initially designed with it and they 'simplified' it for the base game.

Second. I play my son at 2pl; we both enjoy the new avenues that the expansion offers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur Skallagrímson
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
If you like the feeling you got when finding out all (most) your theories were wrong, get the expansion. I'm serious - I love this game so much more now that there's more to figure out without more time to do it in. Many games go by now where I just don't have time to completely solve everything, making the end-game state much more varied than before. I will also say I would have a great time losing this game to my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faso74it wrote:
Casual notes:
You can buy the printing press (that lets you publish for free) only by the end of round 3.

The game. Is very enjoyable at 2p, and the expansion is fantastic, but you and your wife should get better at the game, especially deduction-wise and “operatively” (not making mistakes in the bookkeeping) before using it, as the golem module really makes everything harder.

Good notes, but I have to disagree with your take on the expansion. The golem is only one of like 4 modules in the expansion.

Two of the modules are pretty easy to fold into the game even on a person's first play. They just add more variety to the game. Those 'easy' modules are actually what sold me on the module. Alchemists is so complex, that it is hard for me to get to the table because we usually have new gamers over. Having expansion parts I can play even with them is GREAT.

And the wakeup track gets stale pretty quick in 2 player games where, the playstyles settle in quick and the same 2-3 places are all that get used. Making that different every round is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alluvian, you’re totally right.

From the OP I have gathered that it was the first play for the wife, so anyway I’d leave the expansion out for a couple of games more...there’s so much to grab in this game that adding the choice of the starting equipment can be daunting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Gutiérrez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play exclusively 2p too, and we love the expansion. We actually haven't even played the Master variant yet (neither in the base game nor with the expansion), but we love every module of the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Faso74it wrote:
Alluvian, you’re totally right.

From the OP I have gathered that it was the first play for the wife, so anyway I’d leave the expansion out for a couple of games more...there’s so much to grab in this game that adding the choice of the starting equipment can be daunting.

Thanks for the comments. No it wasn't her first play (but then again it was only her third or fourth.) For me it was about the 8th time, which is what made it so surprising that I was so wrong at the end.

I'm still scratching my head as to what I did wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Faso74it wrote:
Casual notes:

Yeup - Periscope - that's it. I don't know why I thought there were 7 rounds - lol I think you're right - I had a booze haze trying to recall the game the next day when I wrote this.

I now wonder if I had the artifacts messed up? Because I'm pretty sure that printing press was there at the end of round 5, when you have to have your second theory published by (in the apprentice mode.) I'll try to remember to check my cards. I was fairly sober at setup, but who knows.

I do want to get better at the game - we were discussing using Boiteajeux to practice the expert version (since the web version will kinda guide your turns and forces you to play correctly.) At first I thought my wife would hate how "thinky" the game is, but after a few playthroughs, it just sorta reminded me of Sudoku in a very distant way, and she loves those puzzles. After our first playthrough online, she lost and immediately exclaimed "I want a rematch!" She's never said that about any other game.

I think I'll grab the expansion today. Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also play this game a lot as a 2p. If possible, i prefer to play with everything from the expansion in, if not, i am happy playing the base game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.