Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cards requirement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mai B
Andorra
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Can you please help us with this? The issue is about how to play the first type of cards regarding the requirements:

1srt - THIS value
BREATHING FILTERS: Requires 7% oxygen.
HERBIVORES: Requires 8% oxygen. Add 1 animal to this card [...]

2nd - max.-min.
ARCHAEBACTERIA: It must be -18ºC or colder. Increase your plant production 1 step.
DOOMED CRATER: Oxygen must be 7% or less. Gain 3 plants and place a city [...]


What do the rules say: "6 Requirement: Any requirement must be met in order to play the card. Some cards require a global parameter to have reached a certain level, while others can only be played while the parameter is still low (see example card). Some cards require that
you have certain tags or production. "
This makes clear how to play the group 2.

Since we had these two different types of cards we thought the 1srt group cards should be only played when the parameter reached THAT value, not before and not after. If not, why are they wrote differently?

How do you play the cards? All the same way due to the rules although its texts' states different requirements?

Thank you people!
I hope I made myself clear!


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Take another look at how card D is played (page 9, right column): "To play card D, the oxygen level must be 9% or higher."
Lilou84x wrote:
Since we had these two different types of cards we thought the 1srt group cards should be only played when the parameter reached THAT value, not before and not after.

So this is wrong.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
There are no exact requirements. All requirements are either minimum or maximum.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mai B
Andorra
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification, but I don't see the point on writting the same type of requirement in a different way, anyways.

Cheers!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Greet
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Hating everyone equally
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TM rules, p9, Check the requirements.
Quote:
To play card D [Livestock], the oxygen level must be 9% or higher. You also need to have plant production, since the card requires you to decrease your plant production. Card E [Shuttles] requires 5% oxygen and energy production.

That is, unless the requirement states 'max', the current value can be higher. After all, if you can create a cow that can breathe in 9% oxygen, you can create it to breathe in 10% or higher.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lilou84x wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, but I don't see the point on writting the same type of requirement in a different way, anyways.

Cheers!


It's not the same requirement. One wording is "maximum X". The other is "minimum X"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:
Lilou84x wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, but I don't see the point on writting the same type of requirement in a different way, anyways.

Cheers!


It's not the same requirement. One wording is "maximum X". The other is "minimum X"


Some are neither... That was his question and point.

Ferriners attempting to write in English or a typo on a few cards explains it quite nicely.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a bit confusing due to a slightly sloppy terminology,
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated by others, there are no exact requirements. If "max" is not stated, it is minimum. On temperature we also define "or colder" or "or warmer" in the parenthesis due to the inherent problem with negative numbers. If we were to say "Requires -12 degrees or more", some would intuitively think that -18 is "more" than -12, so we specify this for the temperature scale for clarity. This is probably what you refer to when you say we use "sloppy terminology".
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Aethan wrote:
This is probably what you refer to when you say we use "sloppy terminology".

I think the "sloppiness" is more in maximum requirements being stated as "max", but minimum requirements not being stated as "min". That can be confusing to a new player, until they learn that requirements are never exact requirements in this game.

The explanation text in parantheses always makes it very clear tho, and I think "or warmer" is indeed even clearer than "or more".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
warmachineuk wrote:
TM rules, p9, Check the requirements.
Quote:
To play card D [Livestock], the oxygen level must be 9% or higher. You also need to have plant production, since the card requires you to decrease your plant production. Card E [Shuttles] requires 5% oxygen and energy production.

That is, unless the requirement states 'max', the current value can be higher. After all, if you can create a cow that can breathe in 9% oxygen, you can create it to breathe in 10% or higher.

If this is a direct quote from the rulebook, then I can sort of see the confusion. For livestock it specifies "or higher", whereas for Shuttles says "requires 5% oxygen"... which read literally means it must match exactly.

Either way, seems a bit rules lawyery to me and common sense should usually result in playing the game right.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.