Ghostbusters: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: House Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Russell
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I enjoy this game and love both the tiles and the miniatures that come with it, there are times when I feel the game is missing something.

I played the campaigns and enjoyed the mounting difficulty with each campaign, while also could see the huge potential for customisation. This brings me to my main question:

Are there any good house rules out there?

I do enjoy the game, however there are times when I feel that closing the gates in nearly every scenario loses its charm. I know some scenarios have variants of this (Stay Puft #4 springs to mind), but as a fan of Zombicide, I feel that Ghostbusters could borrow quite a bit from Zombicide to spice up game play.

Objectives like:
-Rescuing people
-Reaching the exit
-Capturing objectives
-Capturing specific ghosts
-Capturing all ghosts

Within this you could combine objectives for certain missions, and even have house rules for ghost movement etc to keep gameplay enjoyable.

Ideally, I'd love to gather the best ideas for house rules, custom characters and scenarios, and look at compiling them in a BGG PDF for all to enjoy!

Looking forward to what you ladies and gents think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sub'd to this thread as I agree. The base game feels very "samey" after a while and could use some sprucing up.

I think you've got a good some good ideas here too. Instead of just closing gates scenario after scenario there could be a semi-branching campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Russell
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly! Bring more diversity and nuance to each of the missions.

I also think that movie specific campaigns would be really cool, especially as the kickstarter included Gozer, Terror Dogs etc.

Then with Ron Alexander and the new Ghostbusters, as well as the Extreme Ghostbusters, there are a wealth of awesome miniatures out there, but needs campaigns and house rules to bring the full potential to the game and the tabletop!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As another suggestion, try designing your own scenario!

You can come up with anything you'd like to as a mission objective and try it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the game needs some extras to make it shine. I would like to bring traps into the game as well as other equipment. Doing this and having new scenarios with varied objectives would certainly be fun to try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Russell
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been brave enough to design my own scenarios yet, but definitely something I want to try.

I'm thinking of starting with something simple and building from there.

Traps were a cool extra add-on with the KS for GBBG2 (though the optional rules for them just made capturing ghosts more awkward, which I felt was self-defeatist), and I agree completely - should be a core part of the game. Even from a strategy viewpoint, I think they'd really add to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven’t done so already, check out the materials for the old Ghostbusters RPG and how it handles ghosts, story and events.
I bet you’ll find a lot of inspiration there.

https://ghostbustersinc.wordpress.com/media/ghostbusters-the...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Robinson
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Jack of All Games
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the game simply needs some way to manage dice rolls. There's currently no way to effect your die roll and every action you take hinges on it. The swing of randomness in your ability to close portals or capture ghosts has put me in a state of complete disinterest in the game.

I was thinking something as simple as using an action to "aim" and giving +1 to your next proton attack would suffice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Richards
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm going to play around with using 6 (especially since that side of the die is awesome!) as a 'crit', adding 2 streams. See if that helps with the problematic challenge without making things too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.