GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,087 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Misbehavin' with a little foreknowledge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Early in the game, misbehaving is a giant crapshoot. Later in the game, you've had time to mitigate the luck of the draw. But, thematically, it makes sense to have some tricks up your sleeve, and be prepared for those. So here's the idea:

1. Deal everyone two misbehaves at the start of the game. You can look at these and prep for them.
2. When you misbehave, draw however many cards are needed, shuffle these blindly with the misbehaves in your hand, and play the correct number one at a time.
3. If you botch, discard blindly down to two misbehave cards in hand.
4. At the end of your turn, you can inspect the two misbehaves still in your possession.

Basically, this means you have decent control over 1-misbehave missions, but beyond that you're likely to see unknown cards. Thematically, it's still crime, but it's less complicated crime and you can plan accordingly. That'll help beginning criminals get started and should make the opening turns a bit more fair.

Downside is that it makes 1-2 misbehave missons easier, legal missions crappier, and Niska's missions ruttin' awful. So maybe drop the payout on 1-card missions by $300 to compensate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Your house, your rules.

You could choose not to gamble too early and get good crew/equipment before you do.

That chance of screwing up is part of what makes misbehaving fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The risk is part of the thrill. Without it, you're just flipping cards. And it's part of the design of the game, that you build up to that. Some people will GO for it, and try to Misbehave early, with basically just their Leader. Sometimes they get lucky. This is always entertaining, because it encourages them to take even bigger chances the next go around. "Ha! I totally aced that job for Badger. Let's try this job for Niska next. With no Crew to pay, I'll be rolling in cash."

What could possibly go wrong?

That said, it's completely and totally your game, and everyone's group has a different dynamic. So tune the game in however it works best for you. It's beautifully flexible in that way. Just know that you're potentially cutting some of the fun bits. At a certain point, 'being prepared' for every Misbehave, means you're just flipping cards over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you (OP) hit on the primary downsides of such a house rule. But it doesn't sound altogether terrible. Consider too that there are cards among the supply decks that pretty much already do this. Can't tell you if they are among the base game cards or from expansion content at the moment. If you do implement such a rule change, perhaps make it optional, with a balancing mechanism to keep it from making early misbehaving too obvious. For example, Each time a player peeks at those misbehaves, he/she must take a warrant token. This could represent hacking the cortex. After all, foreknowledge of misbehaves turns a chance encounter into a plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another downside with this is that it assumes that knowing the card will make it easier. There are a few cards that are pretty terrible, and I'd hate to me stuck with one of those in my hand, just waiting for it to come up! Who can really plan for A Fork in the Road?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Another downside with this is that it assumes that knowing the card will make it easier. There are a few cards that are pretty terrible, and I'd hate to me stuck with one of those in my hand, just waiting for it to come up! Who can really plan for A Fork in the Road?!?

At least then you would know to over-prepare for jobs before Misbehaving, and maybe try jobs with only one Misbehave for a while to try and burn it off with less risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
True enough. That adds an interesting component to things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you get the RESHUFFLE DECK card…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:

Then you'd better buy a transport...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:

I would say reveal it and shuffle it back in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.