Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Northfield
United Kingdom
St ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think I made a mistake. Had 14xp and had brought tough for my dwarf fighter. I then (after managing to get through the token hell quest) got to 19xp, went and replaced tough with weapon mastery (great weapon). Playing bodyguards, looked down and noticed it doesn't require a feature slot, meaning I couldn't of replaced it.
I would have needed to leave tough and save another 15xp for weapon mastery to go anywhere in my sheet but not in a feature slot.
Sound about right? I'm actually kind of hoping im wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can respec at any time, so technically u didn’t do anything wrong, but u can’t afford both currently.

You have to have acquired enough XP to justify the cost of your features and the cost of their slots. When u place a feature that doesn’t require a slot, really it just means u don’t have to pay for the slot cost, and i don’t think it even counts as taking up one of your 6 slots if u already had your 6 slots full of features, so u could even stick those ‘no slot required’ features elsewhere on the back of your card or something.

Tough is 10xp, and Weapon Mastery is 15xp. Even with no slot cost for the Weapon Mastery (normally 5xp to open up slot 2), you don’t yet have the 25xp required to have both features. U don’t spend your XP. Your XP just have to be equal to or greater than the cost of your combined Feature costs and open slot costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoopder
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'll always pick the archer
badge
I had and have a wholly unsatisfied desire to shoot well with a bow. -J.R.R. Tolkien
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't actually 'spend' the xp like it is money. Having a certain amount of xp just unlocks the ability to place sticks up to that cost on your sheet (assuming you also have enough xp to cover the cost of placing the sticker in the feature slot). So, if you have 19xp and both of the things you are talking about cost equal to or less than that, then you should be able to have them both.

I advise that you double check the wording of the rulebook, as I don't have that with me, either. I am pretty sure that is how placing the stickers works, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some who will argue that you cannot 'remove' the Tough and take the Fighting Style, because the Style doesn't 'cover' the Tough.

I am not one of those people, and believe that you're fine.

Post-it tape FTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Van Roeyen
Belgium
Ekeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmm, confusing... If you don't spend XP - then what stops you from replacing stickers whole the time ?

If I hit 25 XP I do this, if I hit 27 XP I replace one sticker with one I don't like ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel
Spain
Alicante
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing stops you from doing that, your XP pool can be used as you wish. Think of it like a "respec" you can do in MMO videogames.
See page 25 of the rulebook under "ACQUIRING FEATURES".

For me that was an essential feature to enjoy the game, I hate when an early mistake is carried over until you retire a character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SvenVR73 wrote:
Mmm, confusing... If you don't spend XP - then what stops you from replacing stickers whole the time ?

If I hit 25 XP I do this, if I hit 27 XP I replace one sticker with one I don't like ?

That's always an option. The only thing deterring you from doing that is the amount of stickers available, but if that bothers you, buy the character pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Van Roeyen
Belgium
Ekeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a quick view in the rulebook of Shadowrun : Crossfire... The wording there is easier to understand.

I have just only begun exploring Dragonfire...So no real idea how I want to equip my characters yet... But I think I like the option of changing things that don't work whenever I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
SvenVR73 wrote:

That's the point! You are supposed to be replacing stickers with others on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Vazquez
msg tools
mbmbmb
I recommend you to read the Hint box in page 25 of rulebook. For me it´s not very clear and took me like 3 re-read times to understand it, but once the illumination falls clears everything, including your doubt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your character just has to have earned enough XP to justify the cost of the features and the slots they take up, and you have to follow the prerequisites and/or skill tree path that some features require. That's it. You can change your feature specs (remove, replace, cover-up) to your liking during any "long rest".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bendig
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is the correct approach (as intended by the Designer):
- XP spent on a Feature can be re-spent by replacing that Feature and returning those XP to the pool
- XP spent to unlock a Feature Slot are permanently spent (i.e. you never get to return the XP spent for a Feature Slot back into the pool).

Referencing the FAQ:
Q: Can I remove Feature stickers before placing new ones?
A: If you want to try that, that’s completely up to you. However,
the rules make no mention of it, and the design of the Features
and Character screens doesn’t really allow for it.

So, if the rules are not designed to remove Features and completely re-open a Feature Slot, it seems to me that the implication is that Feature Slot investments are permanent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Bendig wrote:
Is the correct approach (as intended by the Designer):
- XP spent on a Feature can be re-spent by replacing that Feature and returning those XP to the pool
- XP spent to unlock a Feature Slot are permanently spent (i.e. you never get to return the XP spent for a Feature Slot back into the pool).

Referencing the FAQ:
Q: Can I remove Feature stickers before placing new ones?
A: If you want to try that, that’s completely up to you. However,
the rules make no mention of it, and the design of the Features
and Character screens doesn’t really allow for it.

So, if the rules are not designed to remove Features and completely re-open a Feature Slot, it seems to me that the implication is that Feature Slot investments are permanent.

Jay clarified recently that this is being discussed and that currently players are free to refund slot costs (but that may change later).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.