20 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Leveling Up Question (No Spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anonymous Anonymous
msg tools
mbmbmb
When you level up, is the card of your new level that you don't choose permanently lost unless you decide not to get either of a higher level's cards?

For example, can a level 2 brute choose any 10 cards with level 1, 2, or X for a given scenario, or is one of the level 2 cards unavailable to them unless they choose it at a later level up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek X
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. You only get one new card to add to your pool for each level up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RAW: When you level up, you choose 1 card from your new level (or from any of the levels below that that you hadn't previously chosen) to add to your pool of available cards, but you're stuck with that choice.
(of course, your hand size remains the same, so you still take the same amount of cards into each scenario, regardless of what level you are)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
West Lafayette
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only pick one to add to your pool each time you level up. So yes and the second one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Anonymous
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, thanks for all the fast replies! I guess that makes sense for allowing character individuality, but it definitely makes the decision when leveling up more stressful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't make sense to me.
When you level up doesn't that just mean that now you can select your deck of cards from that level and below up to your hand limit?
So if level two, you can now select your hand before each scenario from 2, 1 and X?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Xaliba wrote:
When you level up doesn't that just mean that now you can select your deck of cards from that level and below up to your hand limit?
So if level two, you can now select your hand before each scenario from 2, 1 and X?
Have you read the rulebook?
Page 44 wrote:
When a character reaches a new level, add one new card to their active card
pool. The card selected must be from the character’s class and have a card
level equal to or less than the character’s new level.

There's no ambiguity there. One card to your card pool. It just so happens that your card pool already includes all X cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Anonymous
msg tools
mbmbmb
Joou wrote:
Xaliba wrote:
Have you read the rulebook?
Page 44 wrote:
When a character reaches a new level, add one new card to their active card
pool. The card selected must be from the character’s class and have a card
level equal to or less than the character’s new level.

There's no ambiguity there. One card to your card pool. It just so happens that your card pool already includes all X cards.

The part that I was confused about is "active card pool". Is that the cards you are taking to a scenario, or is it the cards you could take to a scenario? On page 7, it talks about a "pool of available cards", so I thought that maybe the "active" pool is a smaller part of the "available" pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Your pool of available cards at level 1 is all level 1 cards, and all level X cards. Your hand of cards is what you take to a scenario, which is always a fixed amount based on your class. When you level up you add 1 (one) card to your pool of cards. You may choose any card that is your (new) level or lower. From that point on, you may choose to put it in your hand of cards at the start of each scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Anonymous
msg tools
mbmbmb
Joou wrote:
Your pool of available cards at level 1 is all level 1 cards, and all level X cards. Your hand of cards is what you take to a scenario, which is always a fixed amount based on your class. When you level up you add 1 (one) card to your pool of cards. You may choose any card that is your (new) level or lower. From that point on, you may choose to put it in your hand of cards at the start of each scenario.

Thanks, that spells it out very clearly. So "available" pool and "active" pool are the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean M
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. Makes all sense to me now also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Geery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, totally missed that. Looks like the game just got even more brutal for my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
you could always house-rule it so that both cards are added to your available pool for each level, but you can only take (at most) one from each level above 1 for each scenario (unless you chose to swap out a higher level card for the second card from a lower level).

I don't think that would really break the game at all, though it might reduce the replayability as there would be less motivation to create more characters of classes you've already played and retired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
you could always house-rule it so that both cards are added to your available pool for each level, but you can only take (at most) one from each level above 1 for each scenario (unless you chose to swap out a higher level card for the second card from a lower level).

I don't think that would really break the game at all, though it might reduce the replayability as there would be less motivation to create more characters of classes you've already played and retired.
I've seen some groups go with a free respec after a few characters retire, moreso in order to be able to readjust any combos and synergies that might have been broken. I know if my players decided the card they chose was just unfun after trying it out, I'd let them change it up. I agree that just having all cards is probably too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

I've seen some groups go with a free respec after a few characters retire, moreso in order to be able to readjust any combos and synergies that might have been broken. I know if my players decided the card they chose was just unfun after trying it out, I'd let them change it up. I agree that just having all cards is probably too much.

I don't like the houserule that all cards are added to the pool. In my opinion, you underestimate the value of being able to adapt to every situation, instead of being forced to chose a build path. Even being able to respec for each scenario brings up that problem.

I do, on the other hand, like the idea of granting a free respec each time a character retires. It gives the players something to look forward to when someone else retires, and (as you stated) lets them adapt to a new group dynamic.

I could have really used a ruling like that after Tink and MT retired. I suddenly needed to mitigiate a lot more damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keillor
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like to house rule anything, but that re-spec has me thinking...

I may suggest this to our group, as long as you are using the leveling rule when selecting cards. Example, you are level 9 and you re-spec, you don't get to put in both level 9 cards. You have to select your cards by level just as you did while leveling up. I made that mistake creating my second character thinking I was level 4 so I could add both of those cards. Had to go back and re-do level by level.

Has it been asked/answered somewhere if you can decline a card of a certain level to get 2 of the next level when you reach it? Assume it's not legal...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BSKeillor wrote:
Has it been asked/answered somewhere if you can decline a card of a certain level to get 2 of the next level when you reach it? Assume it's not legal...

no, not legal. you can decline a card of a certain level in order to claim the second card of a lower level, but you can only ever have (at most) 1 card of your current level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TIL you only select one card when leveling up.... And here I thought I had the rules down pat by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
I kind wished there were more cards per level and more diversity of builds to choose from withim a class. Some classes do have different builds (like a Cragheart who can go obstacle master or more traditional AoE bruiser) but most classes simply have one much better card per level. In some levels the better card is so obvious it's hard to even fathom someone choosing the other card ever. On the other hand some levels for some classes just have 2 realy abd cards and you almost feel forced to go back and get something of a lower level you left behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
DakonBlackblade wrote:
I kind wished there were more cards per level and more diversity of builds to choose from withim a class. Some classes do have different builds (like a Cragheart who can go obstacle master or more traditional AoE bruiser) but most classes simply have one much better card per level. In some levels the better card is so obvious it's hard to even fathom someone choosing the other card ever. On the other hand some levels for some classes just have 2 realy abd cards and you almost feel forced to go back and get something of a lower level you left behind.

Isaac has given you all resources to make a third skill line for each character to chose from while leveling up. I'm pretty sure most chars can conceptually/thematically support it, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.