Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There's another thread that approaches this subject, but the conversation stops short of providing the analysis I was looking for. So I thought I'd post this to solicit a more specific conversation.

What is the salient difference between WBY and DVG's Down in Flames: Aces High? If one already owns the DVG game and/or Down in Flames: WWII-Guns Blazing expansion, why would one want to (or should) add WBY to the shopping list?

Are the two games compatible in a useful way?

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Ludwig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Barry,

we don't have WBY yet but from what I know it's still very close to the classic DiF series, while Aces High is not - too many aspects changed, simplified etc.. We have a review of Aces High on our website that actually compares it to the classic games so perhaps it's helpful for you

https://wargamecenter.wordpress.com/2010/11/03/review-dif-ac...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Janiec
United States
(Teller County)
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Quote:
Are the two games compatible in a useful way?

Like Andreas said, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Andreas Ludwig wrote:
Hi Barry,

we don't have WBY yet but from what I know it's still very close to the classic DiF series, while Aces High is not - too many aspects changed, simplified etc.. We have a review of Aces High on our website that actually compares it to the classic games so perhaps it's helpful for you

https://wargamecenter.wordpress.com/2010/11/03/review-dif-ac...

Andreas,

That was an extremely informative review! Thank you. It certainly answers most all my questions - assuming of course that WBY is indeed an evolution of GMT's DiF series.

So what I got from that review is that if I'm only looking for a casual game and am not entirely interested in a the campaign mode, then staying with the DVG version may be the way to go. As I find little time to play any game in campaign mode, this is a consideration.
Another consideration is if WBY incorporates most - if not all - of the improvements which DVG made to the GMT version, as itemized in that review.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Ludwig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Barry,

you are welcome, we are always glad to hear from folks who find our reviews helpful in making a decision

Quote:
So what I got from that review is that if I'm only looking for a casual game and am not entirely interested in a the campaign mode, then staying with the DVG version may be the way to go.

Certainly! As you could read in the review we were heavily disappointed with Aces High, but of course that was since we are fans of the original DiF campaigns and so the oversimplifications made by Dan in Aces High were a severe blow to what we expected from a modern DiF version. If that's not a concern for you, the quick and simple dogfights in AH are probably giving you many hours of casual game fun, so go for it

We have been on the P500 List for WBY since 2010 and now the game is on its way, so we hope to get back into the fighter cockpits soon and will certainly write a WBY review as well.

Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry, some extra tidbits:

WBY includes Wingmen for nearly every fighter (bar some night fighters).

Aces High/Guns Blazing lets you play the Pacific theatre.

WBY gives each player his/her own Action Deck.

WBY adds new performance parameters, different bomber catagories and some extra maneuvers.

The campaign and air-land games in WBY warrant a stand-alone rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Adam, thanks for that!

How's your summer going? I hear it's a warm for you guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Air conditioned gaming is a solace!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original four GMT games. I also have both the DVG games.

I love the changes to the dogfighting rules in the DVG games, but find the campaigns to be ruined. The only good thing in those campaigns vs GMT games versions is they are shorter in play time since you simply fly there and generically bomb. Gone is the on enroute turns, the flak firing, bombing the target, and then flying home. Meanwhile, trying to decide when to intercept or have the "Little Friends" show up make the GMT games just a delight.

My question is, it sounds like this game revamps the original RotL and 8th AF games? If so, is it worth getting if you still have those two games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud Bouis
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
Nappy wrote:

My question is, it sounds like this game revamps the original RotL and 8th AF games? If so, is it worth getting if you still have those two games?

Last week, I opened the old boxes and compared the contents.

There are lots of aircraft in 8th Air Force which aren't in Wild Blue Yonder. WBW contains few late-war aircraft (none ?). 8th Air force has more 1944-1945 aircraft : for example, the P-47D and P51D, the Me262 ...

But then, if GMT releases expansions for WBW, they will probably release these 1944-45 aircraft again (I guess).

Now, coming to your question ... Is it worth acquiring WBW if you own the old games ?
Well, for me, it's a yes because I am a fan and a completionist.

But you could perfectly print the new rules (available on GMT's site) and play with the old material. They are fully compatible.

WBW adds new and updated campaigns, and well as lots of aircraft.
Some of these aircraft are updated versions of the old. Others are new (different Me-109 versions, for example).

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dittmer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Andreas,

Second the thanks for the link to the review. Very informative.

Cheers,
Mike Dittmer
Highlands Ranch, CO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andreas Ludwig wrote:
We have a review of Aces High on our website

Great review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.