Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythic Battles: Pantheon (MBP), is a miniature war game for 2-4 players (with some solo scenarios) that uses a map with pre-defined zones / terrains as the battle ground.

Although MBP is a KS exclusive game co-developed / published by Mythic Games and Monolith, hence reviewing it doesn’t make much sense because or you have or you don’t (or you sell your kidney for an ebay copy), there are rumors that Mythic Battles: Ragnarok (based on Nordic mythology) is coming to KS next year which, somehow, justifies a review.

Components (Score 9/10)

MBP core box is a big box in dimension but not as heavy as it looks because the majority of the weight consists of miniatures and cards with very little cardboard components, however, it is packed with very high quality components and very little unused space. The Pandora Box (KS stretch goals) has the same dimension but with probably three times more miniatures.

The miniatures have great amount of detail (both sculpt and casting), in my opinion, above any CMON game that I’ve seen (Blood Rage, ZBP, Massive Darkness), however certainly bellow Kingdom Death and others war games. All but a few present remarkable dynamic postures and their weapons (spears, swords) are made of a different plastic hence they don’t bend at all, which I think other publishers will start doing, simply because they look so much better.

The cardboards (maps and hero/monster/gods) are durable, thick and will outstand many play sessions without a problem. The cards have the ideal thickness (not too thick or thin), coated and very easy to shuffle, and I don’t think they need sleeving at all, but I will sleeve them on the first sign of tearing.

The rule book, getting started and scenario book, are well done. With plenty of figures and diagrams, every icon is explained and the flow of information is also great. However, I think the glossary at the end of the rule book is missing a lot of key words, and there are quite a few unaddressed situations which have been game changing that requires an official clarification. Mythic Games should be working more closely to the community to answer some (or all) of those questions.

I have only four criticisms in the production front:
• the stats clips do not fit properly on any of the Pandora Box unit’ boards and is easy to unintentionally change the stat, although fits perfectly in the core box’s.
• There is no insert for the cards, however there was an optional add-on with a box developed specifically for this purpose.
• with so many minis they should have provided an image/infographic of every miniature plastic tray to assist with packing the minis back in the box.
• the cardboard rock need some extra cutting to assemble them, which is easily amended but a flaw in the production nonetheless

Art and Graphic Design (Score 10/10)

MBP has a fantastic art all around!

The miniature sculpts and postures are fantastic, the cards are beautiful and it is very easy to identify the mini based on their cards, the rule books and the scenario book are also beautiful to look at. The boxes are incredible; I want to appreciate it every time I pick it from the shelf just to find more hidden details that I may have missed.

But probably, the most impressive pieces of art of the entire game are the maps; they are simply mind blowing. So much detail, the colours, the terrain, the additional 3D elements and even the 2D art that mimics 3D, the lines that split each region. I’ve never seen a map so well done and detailed before. Too bad it only comes with 2 (double sided) maps…. I want, actually need, more!!!

Graphic design does its job precisely. Every icon is easy to spot, all the numbers, the font, and the information contained on the boards and cards are easy to read. The player aid is great and has most of the information needed, however, for a four player game it should have come with 4 copies in the same language.

Gameplay and Replay Value (Score 9/10)

I’ve never played a miniature war game before. I can say that what kept away from ever playing them is the excess of rules and the use of ruler to measure distance, never liked this idea. So, I can’t compare MBP with others of the genre. But what I can confidently say is that MBP is easy to learn, easy to teach, easy to play, but hard to master; and who doesn’t like that?

In a nut shell the core set of rules are very simple: activate a unit, move, attack (but can’t attack and move), use powers / talents, claim or absorb omphalos (soul of lost Gods, generally a scenario objective), run, use Art of War card to activate a second unit or to draw more cards or to deploy a unit … that is it; simple as that!

Once you’ve learned the basics you can start adding, incrementally, more “complex” actions like retaliate, evade, talents, some powers that can affect other players actions, use terrain features and effects, but nothing that requires more than half dozen plays to learn and remember.

Due to the fact there are so many different units, each with unique powers and different sets of talents; understand their strengths, weakness, synergies and terrain interaction is where the complexity of MBP lies on.

There is a lot of replayability in the game, not so much if you only own the core box though. It comes with a scenario book with about 20 missions (including a few solo missions which I haven’t tried yet) and 1 mini-campaign for 2 to, ideally, 3 players; and a draft system which can be open with each player choosing their units from the available roster, or by blind picking based on god, hero, monster and troops face down piles, which is my favourite system.

Pros and Cons:

Pros:
- production quality
- miniature sculpts, details, and weapon’s material
- the art and graphic design of the maps
- simplicity of the rules
- replayability (if Pandora Box and/or other expansions are included).

Cons:
- limited amount of units in the core box
- lack of card insert
- many situational rules requires clarification

Closure (Score 9.2/10):

After the set-up and drafting, you can remove everything else from the table and the only components left are the map, the minis, the unit’ boards, each players deck, a deck of omphalos cards, the player aid and the dices … that is it, and I can’t express enough how much I enjoy this. Only the essential to play the game is left, it doesn’t require a box on the table, or piles of tokens, or small cups with overflowing components, or decks and more decks of cards, paper and pencil, ruler, rubber, dials, trackers ahhhhhhhh …. no …. the table is clean, pretty, organised and elegant…. I love it!!

The theme is everywhere in the game, all the Gods and Heroes and Monsters powers are very thematic and fit them so well that after you played once or twice with a unit you don’t need to read the power description anymore … it is just obvious that Heracles will through a tree on his enemies, or that Medusa will petrify all units and destroy all troops in her area, or Ares will swing his mighty sword over and over until every enemy is dead, or that Achilles is a bad ass hard to kill Hero that, with a bit of luck, can kill a God.

MBP is one of the best miniature games that I ever played. It is fun, thematic, exciting, fair, balanced, simple but with numerous strategic options, and hasn't been a single time that I played that I didn’t want to immediately swap sides and try it again with a different view …. it is that good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Redheaded Pharmacist
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review, thank you. I’m curious to find out what your average playtime per session.

My second shipment (including the core game) just arrived at my door a few minutes ago. I haven’t opened anything yet. I’m excited to get started with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redheaded Pharmacist wrote:
Great review, thank you. I’m curious to find out what your average playtime per session.

My second shipment (including the core game) just arrived at my door a few minutes ago. I haven’t opened anything yet. I’m excited to get started with this game.

then, why are you posting and not opening your game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.