England
WEST BRIDGFORD
NOTTINGHAM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
D1
If the impacted craton (A1d) is a landmass (i.e. either a Craton or a Continent) with a Latitude Dice, the landmass moves either north or south by one or two Latitudes (single or double arrow icon). However, the Latitude Dice cannot be set farther north than 1, or farther south than 6.
a. Latitude Dice. The face of the Latitude Dice of a Craton or Continent indicates its Latitude, from 1 to 6. Decrease the Latitude Dice if moving north or increase it if moving south.

With reference to the example under D3 where Laurentia drifts into Siberia;

If the drift event required Laurentia to drift north 2 I don't think it can because this would mean that the northern most row of Siberia would be lat -1?

I suppose I'm asking if all rows must remain in the range 0-7?

I would say in the above situation Laurentia can only drift 1 to lat 3.

Cheers in advance,

Dave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The die (and therefore central latitude) can't show less than 1, obviously, so the northernmost latitude can only ever be 0.

If you were at latitude 2 and moved up 2, you would move up 1 and stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bailey
England
WEST BRIDGFORD
NOTTINGHAM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The resulting land mass has a lat of 4 but the top row of Siberia occupies lat 1.

If Laurentia drifts north 2, that top row will be lat -1.

I hope the question makes more sense now I've figured out pictures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, see what you mean.

The living rules has:

"If the Latitude is greater than seven, treat it as seven. If the Latitude is less than zero, treat it as zero."

(Which you can argue is actually in the main rulebook's glossary as well, just worded a little more ambiguously. I think it makes intuitive sense though - if 0 and 7 are ice caps, then presumably anything more northern would also be ice caps.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bailey
England
WEST BRIDGFORD
NOTTINGHAM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:
Ah, see what you mean.

The living rules has:

"If the Latitude is greater than seven, treat it as seven. If the Latitude is less than zero, treat it as zero."

Oh, so in our example the top 2 rows would be lat 0? Very interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Barker
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Too bad it doesn't wrap around. I'd say that a row at latitude -1 would actually be at latitude 0 as well, then a latitude -2 would be latitude 1. Maybe this is too fiddly for Phil?

I do confirm that using the Scale indicated in the glossary, latitudes 0-7 do include the entire latitude span of Earth (20,000 km). The bottom edge of a biome at latitude 0 is just touching the south pole. So unless something odd is happening, that latitude of -1 should be treated as 1 for purposes of climate. On the other hand, wind directions should be reversed, since those biomes are now upside-down, with the top of them being more southern.

This would get out of hand if there is more than a couple biomes at the top or bottom latitudes, since the map is cylindrical and the planet is spherical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brentonh wrote:
Too bad it doesn't wrap around. I'd say that a row at latitude -1 would actually be at latitude 0 as well, then a latitude -2 would be latitude 1. Maybe this is too fiddly for Phil?

I do confirm that using the Scale indicated in the glossary, latitudes 0-7 do include the entire latitude span of Earth (20,000 km). The bottom edge of a biome at latitude 0 is just touching the south pole. So unless something odd is happening, that latitude of -1 should be treated as 1 for purposes of climate. On the other hand, wind directions should be reversed, since those biomes are now upside-down, with the top of them being more southern.

This would get out of hand if there is more than a couple biomes at the top or bottom latitudes, since the map is cylindrical and the planet is spherical.

The issue with wrapping around is collisions. A continent moving left could in theory end up attached to the left of a craton since any negative latitudes would actually be moving right if treated as positive.
There would also be a limit to craton at certain latitudes (since there is less area near the poles). Better to treat the scale as a bit less than written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.