Katie Peaker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,

I am a student researcher currently doing a Master's degree focussed on board gaming culture.

I'm currently looking for female participants who would like to take part in a short interview (can be over Skype if international) regarding their experiences whilst playing board games.

I will leave a poster here if there is anybody interested as I would hugely appreciate it but if you know anyone who may be interested feel free to share this post as well.

If you have any questions at all please post them within the thread or alternatively please email me at fanorfraudresearch@outlook.com

Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Looking for Female Participants for a Board Game Study
Welcome Katie, I'm happy to help. I live on a boat and we move constantly so it'd probably be easier on Skype (though we are planning to be on the Huddersfield narrow canal next summer ish...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm leeece on yucata.de
badge
Maybe we can grab a game sometime?
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day from Australia, happy to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to help - from Perth, Western Australia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Katie,
Almost applied but then I saw the 'fanorfraud' expression. Could you explain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny Carrier
Australia
Busselton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to help, also from Western Australia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicky
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GabiGames wrote:
Hi Katie,

Me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
confusedvicky wrote:
GabiGames wrote:
Hi Katie,

Me too.

Me too.

I don’t think she’s checking this post, I get the feeling she just dropped by to post the flyer. Anyone interested is going to have to get in touch w/her through those contacts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Peaker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
GabiGames wrote:
Hi Katie,

Good Evening Everyone!

Sorry I have only just managed to come online to check this post! I was checking it all day yesterday and saw that it had no interest so I'm surprised but definitely pleased to see that it has been recognised! So thank you for your interest!

And of course, I shall explain the email address. Basically, it has no negative connotations intended, I have an interest in fandoms as an academic field and exploring fandoms. One particular interest happens to be about how cultures and interests are quite protective and a quick to disregard people who call themselves fans whom may not seem as dedicated to the interest as they are. This is a planned piece of research that will more than likely happen after this study and is not meant to raise any concern to the study that I am doing right now regarding women in board gaming.

Anyone who is interested in taking part if you could email me at the address just so that I can keep track of everyone and also send you a participant information sheet which will give you more details about the study.

Once again thanks for the interest and I look forward to hearing back soon

Katie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ludologylady wrote:
GabiGames wrote:
Hi Katie,

Good Evening Everyone!

Sorry I have only just managed to come online to check this post! I was checking it all day yesterday and saw that it had no interest so I'm surprised but definitely pleased to see that it has been recognised! So thank you for your interest!

And of course, I shall explain the email address. Basically, it has no negative connotations intended, I have an interest in fandoms as an academic field and exploring fandoms. One particular interest happens to be about how cultures and interests are quite protective and a quick to disregard people who call themselves fans whom may not seem as dedicated to the interest as they are.

So basically you want to find out how judgemental & discriminatory we are? Sounds like there might be some confirmation bias in your premise.

Quote:
This is a planned piece of research that will more than likely happen after this study and is not meant to raise any concern to the study that I am doing right now regarding women in board gaming.

Anyone who is interested in taking part if you could email me at the address just so that I can keep track of everyone and also send you a participant information sheet which will give you more details about the study.

Once again thanks for the interest and I look forward to hearing back soon

Katie

I would definitely leave the word "fraud" or anything like it out of any future attempts to contact various groups you might be interested in.

I hope lots of folks participate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Peaker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
So basically you want to find out how judgemental & discriminatory we are? Sounds like there might be some confirmation bias in your premise.

Hello,

I'm just clarifying that 'fan or fraud' has nothing to do with this study. My study regarding women in board games is not about whether the board gaming community is judgemental or discriminatory and is just about women talking about their experiences playing games.

Again, apologies if anyone finds this offensive. Unfortunately, I am unable to change the email now due to presentations/ posters etc

Thank you,

Katie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification.

I’ve got a really stupid user name on Yahoo I wish I could change, so I totally understand. Seemed like a good idea at the time... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Katie,

I am currently writing up my PhD research on boardgames , boardgames and boardgaming. I would be very happy to talk with you.

I am in Melbourne, Australia.

Who are your supervisors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Peaker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
melissa wrote:
Hello Katie,

I am currently writing up my PhD research on boardgames , boardgames and boardgaming. I would be very happy to talk with you.

I am in Melbourne, Australia.

Who are your supervisors?

Hello,

Wow that's awesome! I am hoping to continue my studies onto a PhD this September. My supervisors are Professor Matt Hills and Dr Benjamin Litherland and we are hoping my external moderator will be Dr Paul Booth. How about yours?

If you would like to provide me with an email address or email me at fanorfraudresearch@outlook.com so that I can send you a participant information sheet so that you can learn more about the study that I am doing.

I would be interested to learn about your own research also

Thanks,
Katie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Heller
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mb
Happy to participate!
Cheers, Jill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kymmie Meeple
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
badge
... May you find hearts full of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Filler
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to help as well.
robynfiller@gmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
ludologylady wrote:
melissa wrote:
Hello Katie,

I am currently writing up my PhD research on boardgames , boardgames and boardgaming.

Wow that's awesome! I am hoping to continue my studies onto a PhD this September. My supervisors are Professor Matt Hills and Dr Benjamin Litherland and we are hoping my external moderator will be Dr Paul Booth. How about yours?

I've emailed you. My supervisors are A/Prof Martin Gibbs and Dr Wally Smith. My research website, with copies of publications etc, is at http://www.melissarogerson.com

That initial description should have read boardgames, boardgameRs and boardgaming. I blame Autocorrect.

Happy also to connect you with good research on boardgames to date (Stew Woods' book Eurogames is the stand-out text)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm leeece on yucata.de
badge
Maybe we can grab a game sometime?
mbmbmbmbmb
Us folks at the Western Australian Boardgaming Association miss Stew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alon Altman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you interested in non-binary participants as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Peaker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
epsalon wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Yes, I am interested in non-binary participants also

Hope this helps,

Katie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alon Altman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ludologylady wrote:
epsalon wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Yes, I am interested in non-binary participants also

Hope this helps,

Katie

Thank you for your answer. I would recommend you update your poster to more clearly indicate that. Both me and my partner are nonbinary and decided not to sign up because of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
Just chiming in to say I had the same reaction as Alon. Thankfully they asked for clarification because I passed this thread right on by, assuming nb folks were excluded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Davis
United States
Mt Vernon
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be interested in the following forum thread:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1102861/women-and-gaming-pr...

It includes a link to a preliminary research report on women in gaming based on interviews I completed in 2011-12.

Hope this is helpful.

Good luck to both you and Melissa on your research. I look forward to hearing more about your findings.

Erin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Peaker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Everyone,

I'm very sorry for not making that clear on the poster. However, I have now reached my cap on participants so I have closed this thread as I cannot possibly fit in more interviews etc to fit in with my deadlines later in the year.

Thank you to everyone who has got in touch, I have really appreciated it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.