Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game with Airships the other day and were able to transport resources in our given setup.

Just want to make sure I'm clear on this, an airship has to move in order to pick up or drop off resources, right?

Additionally, during movement your airship can unload resources anywhere (controlled territory or not) but is only able to load resources if the territory is controlled by you. Airships wouldn't be able to pick up resources if there isn't a worker, mech, or character since it does't control the territory the resources are on, right? That's the way it makes sense to me anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, resources are picked up before, during, or after airship movement. So the airship must actually move to use this function.

Airships can't pick up resources from territories controlled by other players, but they can pick up resources from territories that aren't controlled by anyone (or are controlled by you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your response Jamey! I appreciate the clarification.

jameystegmaier wrote:
Airships can't pick up resources from territories controlled by other players, but they can pick up resources from territories that aren't controlled by anyone (or are controlled by you).

I’m not sure this is clear in the instructions since it’s very specific that airships don’t control territories and resources on uncontrolled territories can’t be spent / used by anyone.

So the rules are airships can pick up any resources unless the resources are controlled by the opponent. Airships can’t use resources for abilities unless they’re loaded on the ship. A player can use resources on a ship for bottom row actions (since they’re considered controlled). Additionally a player can’t spend resources on uncontrolled territories for bottom row actions If an airship is located there since the resources are not controlled by the player.

Does that all sound about right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan: That's correct! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a hard rule when the loading/unloading of the resources should happen?

Can it be at any given point during your turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's any time during the airship's movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bobsledai
msg tools
mbmbmb
In the middle of a game right now and this post is all I could find quickly.

The same applies to picking up and dropping off workers, right? Only before/during/after airship movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme Vallée
France
flag msg tools
Jamey, I absolutely respect your infinite wise knowledge. But I am exactly as Alan.

We all agree that "airships never control territories" (in Rules). So could you explain how airships can pick up resources on a territory (uncontrolled by any opponent) where there is not another of your units (Hero, Mecha and/or worker) ? When you don't control a territory, you also don't control the resources on it ? I'm looking for the logical... I accept "This are the rules" as answer...

NB: I specify that the two other players have understand well that point of the rules.

Great thanks for your explanations. And for this Game !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerome: You are correct that airships can pick up resources on territories that are either controlled by you or not controlled by anyone. You are also correct that airships do not control territories, so they cannot spend resources on territories they do not control.

The logic of it is that the airships are manned by people, and while they're moving around, they can pick up resources from the land below. But that doesn't create control, just like a plane flying over your house doesn't mean the plane owns your house. And a core idea in Scythe is that you can only spend resources from territories you control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme Vallée
France
flag msg tools
Dear Jamey, many Thanks ! Not only I will play with the right rules but I am also convinced by their logic.

Firstly, I used the world Zeppelin about airships even if figures look like oil-tankers. It is still the case in the discussions with my friends concerning the game. I think it is a mistake. This ones are slow and fragile. They are in a totally different dimension (the sky) than the other units (the land), and could only touch down the land in a friendship zone (controlled by their faction).

Secondly, I changed the Zeppelin for a plane in my mind, like you. But I still considered that a plane should control the territory where it would landed, at least the place where it parked. And we know that "airships never control territories". So the planes should stay in flight (sky dimension)!

And I read your answer... After that, I remembered the case of British SAS planes during the World War II. They delivered weapons and (false) money to the french Resistance and, when they came back home, they "picked up" exfiltrated people and informations. This two last things could be considered as our resources! And I think we could say they never controlled the territory in question -- until the Liberation. In conclusion : I totally agree with this --logical!-- rule.

I am sincerely sorry for this too long text but I hope my historical digression can help someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.