GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,813 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Napoleon's Triumph» Forums » General

Subject: What are the chances of a reprint after BaM 2.0? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be more demand for this game than pretty much any other out of print wargame (or game for that matter).

With the new design of BaM getting close(r) to print and the last copies of NT about to sell out, I can't think of any economic reason to avoid a reprint (but what do I know). But then again, what do I know about such matters...

I can't be the only one thinking about this, can I?

What does the community think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rachel has consistently stated that she has no plans to reprint/reissue NT, citing high effort and risk vs not much in the way of likely sales.

We've heard nothing other than that, so I'd say not likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to derail the thread too much, but any advice on whether it’s better to wait on BaM2 or just bite on the last of NT?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltan Geffert
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And what can we say on the other end of the Atlantic?
I just jumped into boardgames right when the last commercial copies of NT (still at the normal price) were bought up. Since then I read and learned enough to be eager to get either that or BaM.
I do hope if BaM gets released we'll have the chance to buy it here too.
But I do want a copy of NT as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I understand the assertion (there will be no reprint), but I don't understand the logic.

The risk from BaM2 must be greater than a straight reprint of NT?

Beyond an independent print, I can't imagine GMT or others not jumping at the opportunity to take on the risk and print the game. The aftermarket prices are surely a sign that there is high demand.

I guess I'm just jealous, but it really would be such a shame to see a design so highly praised be limited to those who willing/able to pay $150 now and $300+ once the supply at $150 runs out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
badge
His marvels of artifice pale in comparison to the developing machinery of his mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
blu_in_green wrote:
I guess I'm just jealous, but it really would be such a shame to see a design so highly praised be limited to those who willing/able to pay $150 now and $300+ once the supply at $150 runs out.

You could always try The Guns of Gettysburg while you wait. I know someone with a copy, along with NT if you can ever play at night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, not much point in a reprint right now when new copies are currently from the publisher. I know the price is high, but not prohibitively high for such a sought after game with high quality components and A+ design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blu_in_green wrote:
I guess I understand the assertion (there will be no reprint), but I don't understand the logic.

Beyond an independent print, I can't imagine GMT or others not jumping at the opportunity to take on the risk and print the game. The aftermarket prices are surely a sign that there is high demand.

The production quality and the nature of the pieces are such that a reprint would very expensive. The metal pieces, the printed wood, the massive mapboard.. This is not a straightforward print order. I guess that's the problem. And it's also why I and others won't part with our copies for anything less than outrageous sums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
blu_in_green wrote:

I don't think so. NT still has copies available on Amazon. Sure, they are expensive, but they are high quality components. I don't think that NT could come to the market now for the same price it did before. I think it would have to be in the $100 range anyway. How many copies will sell at $100 when the remaining copies at $150 right now have not sold out in the last 2(?) years.

Additionally, the many people who already have NT will likely snap up a copy of BaM2 when it comes out. That means that there are many more sales of BaM2 possible. It is fairly low risk as long as the print run is not too large.

For those wondering whether to get a copy, I would almost certainly buy another copy at $150 as a backup in case anything happens to my copy if my wife wouldn't get mad at me for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mb
I kinda hope not until after STAVKA sees lots of day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hansen
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb
dengue wrote:
Not to derail the thread too much, but any advice on whether it’s better to wait on BaM2 or just bite on the last of NT?

If you can afford NT, get it. Even if you can't afford it, get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Brother" Eicher
United States
Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
I kinda hope not until after STAVKA sees lots of day.

I echo what
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
says in this discussion about Guns of Gettysburg: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/591475/gog-speculation

kuhrusty wrote:

To paraphrase some history guy:

I would have Stavka. I would have it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the box can be in my hands; the nearer my game table will be "the game table as it should be." If there be those who would not have Stavka, unless they could at the same time have The Guns of Gettysburg, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not have Stavka unless they could at the same time cancel The Guns of Gettysburg, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to have Stavka, and is not either to have or to cancel The Guns of Gettysburg. If I could have Stavka without The Guns of Gettysburg being released I would do it, and if I could have it by The Guns of Gettysburg and 2nd Ed. Bonaparte at Marengo being released I would do it; and if I could have it by some games being released and others left alone I would also do that. What I do about The Guns of Gettysburg, and 2nd Ed. Bonaparte at Marengo, I do because I believe it helps to release Stavka; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to release Stavka. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking back at some of the design entries, but maybe someone could net out the significance of Stavka for the uninitiated (read: me)?

In other news, if someone is looking to part with a used copy of NT for a low low price, PM me (while I continue to watch eBay and the local scene)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Brother" Eicher
United States
Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a couple of things going on here. One is simply that the Eastern Front is a very popular subject and Rachel's take on it is bound to be incredible. The front-line mechanisms that have already been teased are exciting, as well as the line-free point-to-point movement.

On top of that, kuhrusty, a fan of the Eastern Front, was the inspiration for the seed idea behind Stavka, with a picture he posted of an EastFront game he was playing. (Imagine how cool THAT would be. )

Finally, Stavka has been mysteriously hanging on the edge of our collective consciousness for quite some time, and we can't wait to see it come to fruition. (For me, the hints of what it will be make it positively compelling.)

Hope that helps explain it for you.

ETA: Oh! And go ahead and get NT. Seriously, I bought a copy when it was at $50. Loved it so much I bought another one at $110. My wife also got me a canvas print of the board for Father's Day. What am I saying? NT is worth spending money on. If my copy were lost or destroyed, I would buy it at $150 without blinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds super cool, it's a point to point system instead of her typical area/border (yes yes I know they're probably isomorphic), and it's a new design, how could we not be excited about a new design?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.