Hide
10 Posts

Empires of the Void II» Forums » General

Subject: Wait for this or find an old copy of the original? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Howe
msg tools
I've not played the original, and I can't find much info on this. Is the basically a newer streamlined version of the original? Is it a no brainer to wait a month until this is released?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the Kickstarter. The games are almost entirely unrelated apart from the thematic trappings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gentry
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
If a game is good enough, it will come back in print. -Vasels Law
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
Check the Kickstarter. The games are almost entirely unrelated apart from the thematic trappings.

I would wait until Tom on Dice Tower does a comparison video, which I cant imagine he wouldnt.

The game will be out in a few weeks so just wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although this isn't even what I would call a second edition, it's more of a sequel. So I'm not sure a comparison will have much to go with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Coulter
Canada
Fraser Valley
BC
flag msg tools
mb
The old one would be hard to find, so that alone makes me think you should wait and see. Then again this might not get many reviews right away as I think this game is not on peoples radars the way Near and Far was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original is OOP and commanding collector's prices in 3rd party sales, so yeah, wait a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires of the Void II is to Empires of the Void what Near and Far is to Above and Below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Scaggs
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that II changes things up enough that it's going to feel quite different than a second edition. It will feel more like a sequel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A bit off topic, but I tend to suspect that if the title of this game had been different, it would be one of the mostly hotly anticipated games of the year. The 'II' leaves the casual observer with the impression that this is the reiteration of something else, and if something else isn't something they know very well, how good can it be?

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised at how good this game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxlongstreet wrote:
A bit off topic, but I tend to suspect that if the title of this game had been different, it would be one of the mostly hotly anticipated games of the year. The 'II' leaves the casual observer with the impression that this is the reiteration of something else, and if something else isn't something they know very well, how good can it be?

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised at how good this game is.

What's worse, they might think it's a reiteration of Empires of the Void. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.