Subject: Point of Return to Night if the Zealot? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Not sure why this exists. I get variety and storage solutions but rehashing a campaign is weird. Is this a patch of some kind masquerading as an expansion? Were there some balance issues in the original?

One thing that occurred to me though, is how our team got rolled the first time we played since we didn’t know what we were doing and misread objectives (maybe don’t pour everything into killing the ghoul priest next time.) So this gives you a thematically consistent chance to go back and do it right, “save” all your dead investigators—we’re hardcore for the theme, so in our world Daisy, Skids, Agnes, and Roland are all dead) while still surprising you a bit. I could see that angle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's New Game+, basically. And it's a perfect excuse to release a bunch of leveled-up Core set cards without clogging all the mythos packs with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Shplay wrote:
Not sure why this exists. I get variety and storage solutions but rehashing a campaign is weird. Is this a patch of some kind masquerading as an expansion? Were there some balance issues in the original?

One thing that occurred to me though, is how our team got rolled the first time we played since we didn’t know what we were doing and misread objectives (maybe don’t pour everything into killing the ghoul priest next time.) So this gives you a thematically consistent chance to go back and do it right, “save” all your dead investigators—we’re hardcore for the theme, so in our world Daisy, Skids, Agnes, and Roland are all dead) while still surprising you a bit. I could see that angle.

Lots of people play the campaigns multiple times. They're meant to be replayed. This offers more variety and (maybe) increased challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Ellenberger
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm seeing it as very similar to the Nightmare decks for LotR with included storage. Almost every FFG storage box up until now has been a premium event or game kit item. Refreshing to see them realize that it can be a retail offering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ziggy2000 wrote:
I'm seeing it as very similar to the Nightmare decks for LotR.

The info in that article is pretty sparse, but this is what I gathered as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oduh wrote:
ziggy2000 wrote:
I'm seeing it as very similar to the Nightmare decks for LotR.

The info in that article is pretty sparse, but this is what I gathered as well.

Another difference from the LotR Nightmare decks is the addition of new/upgraded player cards. I definitely don't see this as a rebalancing effort, I see it as a cheap/easy way for FFG to continue to support existing campaigns (and to get more money out of us of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Initially, I thought maybe this was a way for them to just make Night of the Zealot a standard-sized campaign. Maybe that is more inline with what this is rather than a harder version of the same campaign. I'd be good with that.

While I love the narrative style of these press releases I wish FFG would be a bit more clear about the intention of the product
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can think of a few issues in Night of the Zealot.

The Gathering is simple and easy, and that means it does a great job as a tutorial scenario. But that also means it's not very exciting for veteran players. Some new cards to flesh it out and increase the difficulty sounds good to me.

Midnight Masks is a great scenario, tense and challenging. It's got a lot of replayability, too, with the Cultists spawning in random order. I don't see any need for major changes, but I guess some variety could be nice.

The Devourer Below has a few serious design issues. For one, there's the glitch that the easiest way to beat the scenario is to sit back and make no effort to advance the Act deck, and instead simply prepare to gun down Umordhoth when he spawns. Even when investigators don't do that and make a genuine effort to advance the Act deck, this scenario feels a little bit short, rushed, and unsatisfying to me. I don't love the design of some of the Arkham Woods, either (especially the one that gets you stuck if you can't pass Intellect.) Nor do I like the addition of monsters from a random Ancient One--there's no good thematic explanation for it, and we should definitely be fighting Ghouls, not Dark Youngs or Yithian Observers. I think this scenario could benefit a lot from a redesign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
The LOTR LCG nightmare decks gave you reason to revisit scenarios that you haven't played in a while either because they have gotten too easy or you just got bored with them because you played them too many times. This seems to fill a similar function. Also it gives you new player cards and a possible storage solution.

I've played The Gathering more times than I care to admit and I can pretty much sleep walk through it. If they can make that scenario exciting again that sounds great to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be getting this for the call box and a few new player cards, but mainly the cool box. I hope they do this for each campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Trumbo
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the benefits I'm excited about with this is having a campaign, albeit a short one, always set and ready to play. It'll be great for teaching new people and testing new decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it very interesting.
I hope the box and dividers are better quality than Legion Supplies' though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I find it very interesting.
I hope the box and dividers are better quality than Legion Supplies' though!
I agree, I think people give to much credit FFG for their components I think they are subpar, what drives up cost is the Art which is top notch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
It's New Game+, basically. And it's a perfect excuse to release a bunch of leveled-up Core set cards without clogging all the mythos packs with them.

I would rather they clog these cards into a product I am going to purchase anyway than make them exclusive to a product I am not interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex W.
msg tools
I'm intrigued that it's a campaign that implicitly requires you to use "veteran" characters - what with the harder difficulty and all the new levelled-up player cards. I might swing around to this after I finish Dunwich assuming any of my investigators don't bite the dust.

At the price it seems more akin to a card storage system for Core (huzzah! at last!) with some extra cards thrown in than, say, a mythos pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it sounds like it's a way to make an altered version of a campaign, giving it some replayability and a way to revisit the earlier missions with a few changes and new twists.

Personally what I'd like to know is if they plan on releasing "Return" kits for other campaigns. One that comes to mind is a specific card in Path to Carcosa, that will only enter play if you made a specific story decision earlier, but has an ability that's only relevant if you took the other choice for that story decision. A "Return to Path to Carcosa" set could change things so that card shows up at a different time, making it act differently. (Alternatively, the card could show up in a later mission, we still have a few more missions to play through first.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Turner
msg tools
I'm really curious if we'll be able to transfer some of the new Encounter cards from this set to the Dunwich Legacy, Path to Carcosa or The Lost Age. I guess it depends if they revampe some of the highly used encounter sets or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't expect any of the new cards to be transferable, it's not an approach they've done with the approximately 20 million Lord of the Rings Nightmare expansions. Of course that wouldn't stop you from trying out your own scenario deck modifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.