Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Paying to refresh HQ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mie Skovmand
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone help me figure out if there is a rule allowing players to pay x recruitation points to refresh the HQ with a set of new heroes? I sometimes experience that the game gets a bit trivial doe to the heroes in the HQ. For exampel if we need more fighting heroes but all heroes in the HQ have recruitation pounts. In my head it would be great to sometimes have the opportunity to refresh the HQ for a small amount of points. But is this a actual rule or do I need to ad it as a house rule? Or is there some reason I have missed that this would be a bad idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not an actual rule. Rules as written do not provide an option to clear out the HQ and replace them at any time.

Escaping villains can provide a similar feature, however...

The concept your missing (and is most relevant in the default competitive version of the game) is that it would be a poor idea to allow players to pay to cycle away heroes that other players may want just to get rid of them so that they cannot buy them. This is particularly relevant when the single-copy "rare" cards show up. If you can't afford it and want to ensure that no one else gets it either, it would be far too simple to cycle it away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that it is not an uncommon feature in some games, I would assume that they left out refreshing the HQ on purpose. There are Heroes that will do this, off the top of my head Kitty Pryde and Professor X.

Just to build on what Dan had put, the design purposefully has Common, Uncommon and Rare cards (5/5/3/1 counts). This is done specifically to make the more desirable cards more difficult to get.

I totally understand where your coming from, sometimes I also look at the HQ and think "Ugh!".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mie Skovmand
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew there was a good reason for this rule not to be included in the game, just wasn’t sure what that was
Thanks for the adwise. We often play 4 players and we have a high team spirit so I don’t know if someone would pay for a rare card to get flushed so the other plays can’t get it, but I could be mistaken. We do play with victory points and that makes the players more competitive when it comes to fighting villains, I guess this rule would create the possibility of a more competative approach to the heroes in the HQ, and that is not a good thing in my opinion. Thanks again for the adwise and clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a house rule that rotates the cards in HQ similiar to the villains.

One gets flipped around each turn and pushes all other cards one slot to the left, if all slots are full, the leftmost card is KO'd. As a trade off, there's no automatic refill on buy.

I don't know how viable the rule is for larger groups, though. It works extremely well with two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:

One gets flipped around each turn and pushes all other cards one slot to the left, if all slots are full, the leftmost card is KO'd. As a trade off, there's no automatic refill on buy.

I don't know how viable the rule is for larger groups, though. It works extremely well with two players.

However, that method also has a side effect when villains care about the card below in the HQ directly below them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
DeS_Tructive wrote:

However, that method also has a side effect when villains care about the card below in the HQ directly below them...

And KO'd hero cards...

Unless you're not counting them as officially "KO'd"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
XeyneGaming wrote:
DeS_Tructive wrote:

And KO'd hero cards...

That's true too. In a scenario where you based when X non-gray Heroes are KO'd, it would be impossible to win...

Maybe for this house rule, instead of KO'ing the Hero that gets "pushed off", you just cycle it to the bottom of the Hero deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
XeyneGaming wrote:
DeS_Tructive wrote:

And KO'd hero cards...

Both true.

We didn't specifically consider them as KO'd. The rule came up more for simulating other players buying cards away, increasing rotation and creating purchase pressure, since we felt a lot of our duo games were extremely static, or forced us to buy suboptimal cards to "dig" for the ones we wanted (to then have them bought up by the person destined to sleep on the couch tonight before we could buy it - "sorry honey").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls