18 Posts

Gaia Project» Forums » General

Subject: Lack of reviews from popular reviewers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N S
msg tools
Hello all,

Is there any particular reason The Dice Tower, Rahdo, Man vs. Meeple, Game Boy Geek etc., have not yet reviewed this game? I rely on the reviewers mentioned above and more to decide to make a purchase. It looks very interesting to me (I have not played Terra Mystica). For a game that is highly rated and also making many gamer's top 10 lists for 2017, it is surprising to me that they have not yet made a video on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Carette
Canada
Delta
British Columbia (Canada)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man vs Meeple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG_qGOUtbw8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reviews are coming...I think that Tom indicated that he would post a Dice Tower review this week and Man vs Meeple already indicated that they would do a comparison video soon. Since Terra Mystica is not the type of game that Dan King normally plays, I suspect that there won't be a Game Boy Geek review, and Rahdo won't review it unless is plays well at 2 player...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly there were distribution troubles? My small FLGS couldn't get a copy of the game, so I ended up buying mine from a larger store. Even then I got 1 of only 2 copies they had received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diarmud wrote:
...and Rahdo won't review it unless is plays well at 2 player...

To be fair, many people think it is really very good for 2 players. Rahdo may be wary of the game for a couple of reasons:

1) He has stated recently that space games tend not to be enjoyable for them.
2) Terra Mystica was not very good for 2 players in his opinion.

I expect he will get around to it eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B C
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orion17 wrote:
Hello all,

Is there any particular reason The Dice Tower, Rahdo, Man vs. Meeple, Game Boy Geek etc., have not yet reviewed this game? I rely on the reviewers mentioned above and more to decide to make a purchase. It looks very interesting to me (I have not played Terra Mystica). For a game that is highly rated and also making many gamer's top 10 lists for 2017, it is surprising to me that they have not yet made a video on it.

Can you really say Rahdo and especially MvM are really reviewers? Or are they more overviewers? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Paul
Germany
Offenburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunter and Cron gave an excellent review on it (well, in German)

Tom vasel said that he will post a review this week.

Many people, including me, thing the game is awesome.

orion17 wrote:
Hello all,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryle Cuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo isn't a reliable source for opinions on hot games. He endlessly praises 90% of the things he reviews.

Man vs Meeple are incredibly diplomatic with their reviews as well. They did give Gaia Project their highest award though.

Gaia Project isn't The Game Boy Geek's style of game. I doubt you'll see him review it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know what you are expecting from the dicetower either. All of them except for Jason hated terra mystica.

Imho all of the major/popular 'reviewers' mainly serve entertainment purposes or to get a quick overview of what is currently on the market. If you want real critiques and in-depth discussions, the reviews on the forums here are suited way better for that task, particularly negative ones are always enlightening in my research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orion17 wrote:
Hello all,

Gaia Project is not the style of GameBoyGeek, so I highly doubt you will see a review from him. Which is sad, because his reviews are really good.

Rhado is not a reliable source to know if a game is good or not. I watch him to see some of the gameplay of games. I never watch the thoughts video because he almost always praise the games he make videos of.

Man vs Meeple are good to see the components of a game, but not to know if it is good or not.

The Dice Tower (Tom Vasel more precisely) is good to quickly see the component and how a game is played and to know the obvious flaw/perk of a game, but Tom has sometimes weird opinions.

The reviewer that make me want or not a game are usually GameBoyGeek, JonGetsGames, GamingRules! and Tom Vasel (not because of his opinion, but because it allows me to know all the important stuff about a game quickly).

For the rest, reviews by forum users are usually a good source of information, especially the ones writting about the negative stuff of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Baum
msg tools
Jongetsgames is one of the few reviewers that I (a) trust and (b) agree with. I'm getting a little worried that as he goes "pro" at this thing, he'll get more review copies, which means fewer impartial reviews. But at least for now, his reviews are top-notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diarmud wrote:
... and Rahdo won't review it unless is plays well at 2 player...

Which it does, and has been made clear for ages now (at least that they were designing it with scalable features).

He recently raved over Clans of Caledonia, so I'm curious about his take.

Wildhorn wrote:

Rhado is not a reliable source to know if a game is good or not. I watch him to see some of the gameplay of games. I never watch the thoughts video because he almost always praise the games he make videos of.

This is demonstrably untrue, but I could understand you holding this impression if you only half watched a handful of his Final Thoughts. He is often critical, and is candid about whether he keeps a game, or whether it works for his table at all. However, without fail, he will preface any criticisms with praise for the positive elements in the design, as he appreciates the hard work (and labor of love) that goes into designing anything (he was a video game designer himself, notably Syphon Filter and Fable 2).

His Kickstarter videos do ere on the positive, but that makes sense (he is either being paid just to showcase the game, or at least understands the disproportionate amount of power he has over the potential success of the project). I wouldn't say the vast majority of his reviews fall into this set, however.

Mind you, he also has a preference for reviewing things that he has a personal interest in, hence the default positivity. That said, I've seen him deconstruct a game, and often say it didn't work *for him*.

Shut Up and Sit Down will savage a game, and that can be fun too, but I like Rahdo's deference to polite consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Shut Up and Sit Down will savage a game, and that can be fun too, but I like Rahdo's deference to polite consideration.

Oh yeah, I like SUSD reviews too. They are entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Wu
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tom Vasel review is out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6AP7hdYU9M
I usually enjoy Ryan Metzler's reviews on the dice tower. He's more of a heavy euro reviewer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamdannywu wrote:
Tom Vasel review is out...

... and once again he does not grasp even the most basic concepts of the power mechanism. In all honesty, this perfectly illustrates why the 'professional' reviewers like DT and their kind that churn out reviews on a daily basis aren't a good source of information. Due to their self-imposed goal to review every second game that comes out these days, they probably play a game 2-3 times before they upload a review. I am sorry if I am stepping on toes here, but that is not profound analysis and criticism, but entertainment (which isn't a bad thing in itself, I enjoy their videos for exactly that purpose).

Reading a well written review on the BGG forums is usually a lot more insightful, as people there actually have something to say instead of the usual 'I liked it (not)' or 'The components are pretty'.

For what its worth I also think that SUSD, NPI and Mark Bigney's videos/podcasts are actually much better suited for research purposes as those people usually only put the effort in to record something if they think they have something useful to say. Nevertheless you should try to do as much research as possible on your own, the best method still being try before you buy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluesheep wrote:
iamdannywu wrote:
Tom Vasel review is out...

... and once again he does not grasp even the most basic concepts of the power mechanism. In all honesty, this perfectly illustrates why the 'professional' reviewers like DT, rahdo and their kind that churn out reviews on a daily basis aren't a good source of information. Due to their self-imposed goal to review every second game that comes out these days, they probably play a game 2-3 times before they upload a review. I am sorry if I am stepping on toes here, but that is not profound analysis and criticism, but entertainment (which isn't a bad thing in itself, I enjoy their videos for exactly that purpose).

Reading a well written review on the BGG forums is usually a lot more insightful, as people there actually have something to say instead of the usual 'I liked it (not)' or 'The components are pretty'.

For what its worth I also think that SUSD, NPI and Mark Bigney's videos/podcasts are actually much better suited for research purposes as those people usually only put the effort in to record something if they think they have something useful to say. Nevertheless you should try to do as much research as possible on your own, the best method still being try before you buy!

... ditto, what bluesheep said
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Mononen
Finland
Kerava
flag msg tools
We nostalgically watch "Hocus Pocus"!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:

Oh yeah, I like SUSD reviews too. They are entertaining.
Welp, they sorta kinda sure did savage this one: https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/review-gaia-project/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno. I think Rahdo would be the first to admit he doesn't get to play a game as much as he'd like, but he seemed to offer good insight as to why he liked it and why Clans of Caledonia is still better for him. Nothing too chopped up, dumbed down, or otherwise not worth saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.