Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clint Conner
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please give us a pledge level that does not include the Sundrop technique on the minis for the same price or less than the Sundrop pledge level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the sundrop technique?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
check out their lord of hellas KS. Basically a highlighting color sprayed down from a zenith.

they gave a sample minotaur during their War of Mine KS. base paint on mini to show details and then the white top down highlights the detail. Looks sharp in my opinion provided the mass production matches their samples as i'd never have the time / skill yet to paint mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sosnowski
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sample of sundrop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John di Battista
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
+1

I loved the little surprise intruder with my Lords of Hellas wave 1, but as a painter It means instead of simply giving the figure a simple green bath to get rid of the mold release agent I have to sit and scrub with a toothbrush for fifteen minutes to to get all the paint off so I don't lose any detail with my own paint job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woah, as I am a miniature painter myself I would'nt want my miniatures do be delivered pre-basecoated.

I hope that they will have a pledge level for unbased miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buchanan
United States
Denton
TX
flag msg tools
badge
I can die fighting. I imagine it's easier the second time around.
mbmbmbmbmb
It was an option for lords of Hellas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OR you can always spend few hundred $$ on airbrush setup and be good for future

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Conner
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
McAaron wrote:
Sample of sundrop.

That is nowhere near an accurate sample. That's one that they did by hand. The ones being delivered do NOT look like that. At all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maziken wrote:
McAaron wrote:
Sample of sundrop.

That is nowhere near an accurate sample. That's one that they did by hand. The ones being delivered do NOT look like that. At all.
Is there a picture of an production sample?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Conner
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rashktah wrote:
Maziken wrote:
McAaron wrote:
Sample of sundrop.

Is there a picture of an production sample?

Here's my Drive album of my Lords of Hellas pledge.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1huXXhcsfEtrLNW_GKJdM7mmYkM...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omni Gamer
United States
Norman
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally like the sun drop and yes the idea was you get a model that is one color, like yellow or blue and it is a quick way to have it colored. Yet, my thinking was Sundrop means when you cast the model you add color to the casting so it turns out to be that color, not something applied after the fact. Just like we get different colored plastic pieces for a game like Axis and Allies. Yes, it is a 'fancy' term for a something that was not what it was presented as (i.e. it is simply painting it enmasse) but again, if there is a way to add color to the resin mix when printing it, like a real actual technology where color is added to the material that builds the 3D model piece then that can rightly be called Sundrop technology.

I got it on my Lords of Hellas and I'm open to doing the same for Nemesis. Though it is not as needed as there are not as many models. Also what is the cost since I can buy a can of spray for 8 or 9 bucks (or less) and do a good job all my own. So price it accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Al

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love the sundrop technique, as someone who can't paint, nor has the time, it is like the best thing since sliced bread to happen to minis.

On the other hand, as someone who used to paint 40k, I completely agree there should be an option for un-sundropped minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst thing about pre-basecoated miniatures is the fact that most of them still have their moldlines, which are one of the sneakiest enemies of every miniature painter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Morrison
msg tools
I'm sure you've realised by now but Sundrop is an optional addon for £30 so the standard pledge is ready and sundrop-less!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cunkelman
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maziken wrote:

Here's my Drive album of my Lords of Hellas pledge.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1huXXhcsfEtrLNW_GKJdM7mmYkM...

WOW... that is SUPER disappointing! I would actually request NOT Sundrop if that is the quality we're going to get... Too late to fix?!?!? For all the posting they did about trials and costs, that it horrible!!! It's not event done evenly across one miniature, much less a collection of the same miniature models in a group.

The KS samples looked, primed in colors, dipped/washed and then dry brushed, which does take time, but is a VERY easy three step process anyone with a minimum of skill and patience can do with less than 10 min of total instruction and examples.

Has anyone attempted to "CLEAN" their LoH minis back to base plastic?

Nemesis is definitely being ordered withOUT sundrop!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ebeck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It does just look like a partially-undercoated mini, doesn't it? I'm glad I opted for plain minis for LoH and I'm going to do the same for Nemesis. The level of gribbliness for the Intruders will make them pretty easy to paint to an acceptable standard, even if it's just dry-brush and wash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Kern
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh. I wanted to upgrade my pledge for sun dropped minis, but...they do not look like nearly what I expected. Still waiting for my LoH sundrop Pledge to get a look at those.
But from the Images, it is not worth the 30$.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ebeck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
fabsl wrote:
Oh. I wanted to upgrade my pledge for sun dropped minis, but...they do not look like nearly what I expected. Still waiting for my LoH sundrop Pledge to get a look at those.
But from the Images, it is not worth the 30$.

Having said that, the Intruder minis in some of the review videos look really nice. The question is whether they can keep that level in the mass-produced stuff, and not just the prototype review copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpt. CLavish
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Soon there should be big update about Sundrop technique on Nemesis KS. Apparently the technique is being improved. But in Kickstarter broadcast the developer said that if you paint the miniatures yourself you will probably do it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CLavish wrote:
Soon there should be big update about Sundrop technique on Nemesis KS. Apparently the technique is being improved. But in Kickstarter broadcast the developer said that if you paint the miniatures yourself you will probably do it better.

that is almost always true unless you spend outrageous (at least when you are fair and don't want to exploit some poor soul) prices for a paint job.

So the first question is, is if the automatic/"industrial" paint job is better than unpainted and not in comparison to a professional or even amateur hands-on approach.
And the second question if the expected result is worth the required money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CLavish wrote:
My biggest grief with the sundropped miniatures is the fact that all moldlines won't be removed by the factory that does the sundropping. As a miniatures guy, I can't stand moldlines and thus I could not bear spending money to get miniatures sundropped when the next thing for me would be to strip the paint and remove the moldlines...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpt. CLavish
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
asgorn wrote:
So the first question is, is if the automatic/"industrial" paint job is better than unpainted and not in comparison to a professional or even amateur hands-on approach.
And the second question if the expected result is worth the required money.

I think we have to wait for the sundrop update announced by the devs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.