Hide
13 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Size of Bystander Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
phil h
msg tools
Has errata made this a finite number? Reading the Ferry Scenario, feels like if you get the 9th twist, you just auto lose.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan folsom
msg tools
mbmbmb
phillysmalls1026 wrote:
Has errata made this a finite number? Reading the Ferry Scenario, feels like if you get the 9th twist, you just auto lose.

Thanks!
Card text? Haven't bought this one yet, and can't find an image of the Scheme card here.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it on Dice Tower's review. Ummm, I suppose if you've been rescuing bystanders like the Savior to end all others (sorry Natasha, you came out before the keyword!), you might get away with avoiding the auto-loss.

As far as I'm aware, since the Villains rulebook you're supposed to combine all bystanders into a single stack. I sometimes elect to only include bystanders from the sets already used in an individual match, but either way the size of the bystander stack probably won't affect the outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m not sure about this particular scheme, but lots of schemes are “lose on Twist X”.

As for the Bystander stack, officially, you just keep growing the thing. It gets unwieldy. I made myself much happier lately by only including one of each special Bystander. It was a better experience. (I did the same thing with the Wound stack.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you play with the 30 bystanders from the Core set, then whatever expansions you have. This number can vary, and then some people like to use just specific bystanders.

The Scheme states:

Ferry Disaster
Setup: 9 Twists. Put the Bystander Stack above the Sewers as the "Ferry."
Twist 1-4: If there's a Villain in the city space below the Ferry, KO 2 Bystanders from the Ferry. Whether you KO'd or not, the Ferry moves one space left.
Twist 5-8: Same effect, but it moves right.
Twist 9: KO half the Bystanders from the Bystander deck, rounding up.
Evil Wins: When 7 Bystanders are in the KO pile and/or Escape Pile.

So, pretty much an auto lose on twist 9 unless you have been rescuing bystanders like crazy. I find that some Schemes will say somethings like "Twist 8: You lose." Other schemes are like this one where even though is doesn't explicitly say "You lose", you're going to lose anyways due to the effect guaranteed.

To me it's a more thematic way of losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play with Core bystanders unless I make a specific decision to add a certain special one or ones.

Because of league play, they have to be all base set bystanders unless specifically called for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually i use all of the Bystanders, exception when i play Villains content only, RangerRob campaign and of course the leagues.
I'm a rules lawyer after all..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't already done so, check out the Marvel Legendary FAQ.

Legendary FAQ wrote:
Q: I have a lot of Special Bystanders from the expansions, and some of them include duplicates. There are enough to outnumber the original plain Bystanders. How many should I use?

A: It's always been "use as many of the special Bystanders as you wish." Source: JeffP300
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark coley
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to keep the bystander deck at 30 per the original base set rules. I just take out regular bystanders and replace them with special ones as I go (yes this makes the game a tad easier, but most of my plays of this game are with more casual gamers so the extra help is nice, and they all like getting the special ones more anyway).

For league play I just play them all as regular bystanders so I don’t have to go mess around with my set deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas B
United States
Monroe
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
(I did the same thing with the Wound stack.)

Are there special wounds in an expansion I am unaware of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
nottom wrote:
swheelock wrote:

Civil War (I think).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep my bystander deck at 41 -- 30 regular bystanders and 11 random special bystanders. This matches the recommendation from Dark City (I think) to have 41 bystanders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorOracle wrote:
I keep my bystander deck at 41 -- 30 regular bystanders and 11 random special bystanders. This matches the recommendation from Dark City (I think) to have 41 bystanders.

That was also the first expansion, and Upper Deck may not have been thinking long term at that point. The official ruling has always been to shuffle everything together from all of the sets so you have one huge unwieldy stack of cards, although I don't usually come close to depleting the stack so I only take 1/3 to 1/2 of it.

In the rare case the stack does come close to being depleted I can always add more Bystanders to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas B
United States
Monroe
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
nottom wrote:
swheelock wrote:

Civil War (I think).

Yup, it seems there are. Civil War is one of the 3 I don't have, although it is certainly at the top of my list for picking up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls