Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: New Player: Zoey/Daisy level 0 deck building feedback rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Panopoulos
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi guys,

I'm new to the game, and deck building games in general. I have to say I'm a little overwhelmed by this mechanic, and I'm looking for some feedback.

I own 1 Core Set, 1 Dunwich Legacy Box, and 1 Curse of the Rougarou. At the moment I can't get my hands on any other products for this game. So I'm trying to build the best zero level decks that I can for Zoey and Daisy.

I should mention that I'm planning on playing the game two-handed solo, and trying to string all the campaigns together with Zoey and Daisy.

I've played the first scenario in Night of the Zealots campaign a few times with a few different investigators, and I've got a good feel for how it plays, but I know I'm missing something.

The feedback I'm looking for is two-fold: 1) Please help me understand the deck building mechanic better, and what I should change in the decks detailed below (if anything); 2) When the time comes to make the next purchase, should I go for a second core set, or grab the rest of the Dunwich scenario packs?

Currently, the decks look like this:

Zoey

Smite the Wicked
Zoey's Cross
Dr. Francis Morgan
Knife x2
Unexpected Courage x2
Guts x2
Overpower x2
Emergency Cache x2
Vicious Blow
Dynamite Blast
Evidence
Teamwork x2
Taunt x2
Dodge
Beat Cop
Guard Dog
Physical Training
First Aid
.45 Automatic
Machete
Clarity of Mind
Liquid Courage x2
Fire Axe x2

(Only single copies unless otherwise stated)

Daisy

Daisy's Toe Bag
The Necronomicon
Manual Dexterity x2
Emergency Cache x2
Perception x2
Knife x2
Flashlight x2
Professor Warren Rice
Blinding Light
Arcane Studies
Holy Rosary
Clarity of Mind
Scrying
Ritual Candles
Fearless
Ward of Protection
Shortcut
Strange Solution
Laboratory Assistant x2
Research Librarian
Medical Texts
Old Book of Lore
Hyperawareness
Magnifying Glass
Mind Over Matter
Deduction

(Only single copies unless otherwise stated)

Thanks a bunch gals and lads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game! Deckbuilding can be quite the challenge when you start on the idea, but it's a really fun and rewarding part of the experience, so great that you're getting stuck in!

The first, and most important piece of advice I will give you is simple: if you haven't already, sign up for and use ArkhamDB. It's an incredible tool for putting together, tracking and sharing lists, as well as seeing other people's lists! You can even see other decks that use just cards you have in your collection, for example just decks using a single core and Dunwich Legacy built for Zoey Samaras.

Looking at your decklists as they are, the most important comment is that they're both slightly illegal as they stand. You've included Dr Francis Morgan and Professor Warren Rice in the decks - who would be excellent inclusions for the respective decks, but they're Story Assets rather than deckbuilding cards. You can tell the difference because (a) they have an encounter set icon on them (top right hand corner) and (b) they have a solid bar rather than spaces for pips underneath their cost in the top left. The latter in particular is a sign that you're not allowed to include that card in your deck unless you are required to by your deckbuilding requirements (e.g. Zoey's Cross) or are permitted to by a scenario - either as part of the scenario, or as a reward that you can take into future scenarios.

Other than that, though, these decks look pretty good! I'd suggest maybe replacing Clarity of Mind for Zoey - with two Liquid Courage she should already have plenty of horror healing (especially since her Will's high enough to get 2 back most times she takes a swig) and Clarity is pretty slow. Between replacing that and Dr Francis Morgan, I'd suggest looking at maybe giving her Drawn to the Flame (gives her a backup way to get clues, and she can handle the Encounter Deck fairly well) and a Flashlight, while Daisy could take Dr Milan Christopher to replace Professor Warren Rice and otherwise be good to go.

Hope that helps, and do shout if you have any further questions. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Panopoulos
Australia
flag msg tools
Oh poop. I had a feeling that I had taken some cards that were illegal. I'll make the changes that you've suggested, and have a run through the scenarios that I own.

I've been on ArkhamDB but could not find an answer to my specific question. But I'll utilise that resource more now.

Any idea what my next purchase should be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no expert but to me they look good. Some suggestions: definitely give Daisy Milan Christopher, in 2 copies if you have them, it's better than Laboratory Assistant. And maybe find a place for a 2nd Magnifying Glass so you have a better chance of drawing it.. Also I would replace 1 Perception with a 2nd Deduction (if I remember correctly and the core set has 2 copies of Deduction). Daisy's high intellect coupled with a Magnifying Glass and/or Milan Christopher in play means a '+1 to Perception and + 1 clue' is way better than a '+2 Perception +1 card'.

For Zoey, since you have an open slot by taking Francis Morgan out, get a 2nd .45 Automatic in there, you''ll struggle without a weapon (Machete is fine, but you'll generaly want Zoey engaged with all the enemies, so that +1 damage on Machete will not trigger as often as you want). Given her ability you should have the resources to put a pistol (or even a 2nd one towards the end of the scenario if needed) into play. Good luck!

Re: your question: you're fine with 1 core set. You can proxy the most important cards when needed (print them out, there's a file here on BGG with A4 sheets of all the cards having 1 copy in the core set, cut and sleeve with unused player cards, done). I played the game 50+ times with an single core set and I never thought I should get a second one. Unless you're completely diving into this game as some people do, I think a 2nd core set is a waste of money. Get the scenario packs: cool player cards always in 2 copies and of course you can advance the story!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Panopoulos
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks man. I appreciate your feedback.

Yeah, the cards you've suggested would require me to get a second core set. I found the card list for the core set on ArkhamDB and specifise that it contains only one of each Deduction, Milan, and Magnifying Glass. Same for the .45 Automatic. Shame really, because FFG makes some pretty cool games, but they're a touch greedy I think.

Your suggestions, however, are what I would have like to take if I had the option. So maybe I'm not so out of touch with this deck building mechanic after all

I might just go whole hog one the Dunwich scenario packs, and maybe get a second core set if friends are interested in playing too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: next purchase - depends on what you're after. If you enjoyed that deckbuilding process but found it more constrained than you'd like - or if you play Night of the Zealot, find it challenging, and want to replay it a bunch to get better at it before exploring the Dunwich story - then get a second core set.

On the flip side, if you play the opening levels of Dunwich and love them and want to see where the story goes, then obviously start buying Dunwich scenario packs! You should be able to find the correct ordering for the packs pretty easily on here or on ArkhamDB.

What specific question was it that ArkhamDB failed to answer?

Oh, one other thing I forgot to say in my first post - be aware that running through consecutive campaigns with the same decks is not the main way to play the game, and you might find it pretty challenging. The most recent FAQ for the game expands a bit on the suggested rules for doing so if you do want to plow through, but you may want to consider trying new characters (or just resetting the decks to starting points) for a new campaign...assuming you even survive the first goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Decks: They look pretty good for what you can do right now. I dont generally play Manual Dexterity on Daisy, but your options are pretty limited still. Honestly you did a pretty good job.

Buying. I'd recommend you continue on in story order, buying Miskatonic Museum and then the Essex County Express. These both have some fantastic player cards in them, and Essex County Express is one of my favorite scenarios to date.

If money is no object, a second core is good. But it's not required. You can still make perfectly good decks on 1 core. I didn't get my second core until I had everything from Dunwich and part of Carcosa, and knew I was really going to get serious about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Panopoulos
Australia
flag msg tools
The question was info on building decks for a Zoey/Daisy duo play through with only one core and one dunwich. I found a bunch of entries about each character individually, but most seemed to use more than one core set.

I plan to plough through the campaigns with the same characters and decks leveling them up as I go. But I also plan on doing a play through where I reset the decks between campaigns as well.

I'll check out the FAQ for more details on that. Is it on the FFG website?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Panopoulos
Australia
flag msg tools
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I think I'll just get stuck into the scenario packs, and then maybe get a second core set at a later date when it's time to delve deeper into the deck building mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like this game, the day will come when you have all the content released thus far, and then that second core will become irresistible.

It's really only a priority if you plan to play with three or four players out of a shared kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ajax1983 wrote:
Thanks man. I appreciate your feedback.

Yeah, the cards you've suggested would require me to get a second core set. I found the card list for the core set on ArkhamDB and specifise that it contains only one of each Deduction, Milan, and Magnifying Glass. Same for the .45 Automatic. Shame really, because FFG makes some pretty cool games, but they're a touch greedy I think

I might just go whole hog one the Dunwich scenario packs, and maybe get a second core set if friends are interested in playing too.

Yeah, sorry, it's been some time since I built a Seeker deck. The good news is that scenario packs in the Dunwich campaign have upgraded Deduction and Magnifying Glass which are pretty cool. No upgraded Milan yet, but that's understanble, since he's already the best Seeker allycool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ajax1983 wrote:
The question was info on building decks for a Zoey/Daisy duo play through with only one core and one dunwich. I found a bunch of entries about each character individually, but most seemed to use more than one core set.

You can get just decks built from a restricted collection - the link I put in my first response should give you an example for Zoey, but the thing you need to do on the Search page is click the text that says "Select Allowed Packs (X on, Y off)" on the right/bottom (computer/mobile) of the page and uncheck everything except Core Set and Dunwich Legacy. (Note that there's an option for Second Core Set, so if you don't check that, you just get one-core decks).

What ArkhamDB doesn't allow you to do, unfortunately, is search for specifically paired decks (especially from a single collection). So the Zoey decks may nab cards from Seeker or Mystic that Daisy wants, or even moreso, there's likely to be overlap in the neutrals. For that I'm afraid you'll either need to hope to find a deck that mentions its for alongside a second (and hopefully links to that other deck), or work out the overlap yourself and do a bit of tweaking as you see fit (or post a comment on the decklist, asking for thoughts from the creator!).

Quote:
I plan to plough through the campaigns with the same characters and decks leveling them up as I go. But I also plan on doing a play through where I reset the decks between campaigns as well.

I'll check out the FAQ for more details on that. Is it on the FFG website?

Yep, the website includes, among other things, the rules, the FAQ, and all the Campaign notes for everything released so far. Oh, and also a document containing decklists for every investigator so far that are built around a single core plus (for the non-core investigators) the expansion they're in.

The website is here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those who answered above are clearly clever players.

I have a different opinion about the 2nd core set. If you use photocopy proxies in a sleeve with another card, you don't need a 2nd core set. I hate sleeves, though, so those proxies were annoying.

My enjoyment of the game more than doubled when I included the 2nd core set, and my frustration level halved. I recommend the 2nd core be your next purchase. It will make your decks HUGELY more RELIABLE and effective.

All the best !!

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not "Happy"
mbmbmbmbmb
As a new player myself I was not super-interested in jumping into deck-building right away. BUT I noticed that during my first game I was already seeing cards that I wanted to cycle out and other cards that I wanted to upgrade. It turned out to be much less of a chore and turned into a more natural and organic thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Panopoulos
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks mate. I'm starting to get a little obsessed with this game now. That's a bad sign. I might end up splurging on a whole bunch of scenario packs so I can deck build haha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Panopoulos
Australia
flag msg tools
Yeah, my issue is I'm traveling to Peru in March and I can't afford to take the plunge I want. I'm thinking scenario packs, then 2nd core set, but maybe I'll go first three scenario packs and the 2nd core set instead. This game should keep me busy until I leave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Panopoulos
Australia
flag msg tools
Yeah that's what happened to me while I was replaying the first scenario with the different investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're traveling and don't want to carry the stuff you have you can play using OCTGN...just sayin. And there you have all the Dunwich stuff and an infinite number of core sets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.