Subject: Impressions and session notes of all my games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
danny stoll
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there all,

Last Friday I received the second half of my shipment (containing the base box and Pandora and all small box expansions) and it was finally time to start playing. I rang up a buddy of mine who'd been itching to play as well and we came together that same night to get our feet wet.

Game 1: Introductory scenario

I chose to play as Zeus, with my Hydra and Spartans and on the other end of the board I was stared down by Ares, accompanied by Achilles and some hoplites.

We got a feeling for the rules and especially the talents and iconographies of the god powers were something we needed a minute to really grasp. I sent out my Hydra far up the field to engage Achilles and even though both Ares and Achilles did significant Damage, it was not enough to bring the beast down. Zeus focused on gathering omphalos, blasting away with his lightning every time he had the chance. In the end I won out by grabbing the second omphalos for the win.
Note: We completely forgot about the retaliation rule and I think half of the time we forgot to draw cards at the beginning of our turn. All in all it was definitely a learning game.

Game 2: 2 players, Hades vs Zeus
Next up, we decided we wanted to try our hands at our first draft, opting to just use the contents of the base box for now. I ended up with the following force:
[ImageID= 3925733]
I faced down a force led by Zeus, with Achilles, Cerberus, Leonidas and his Spartans. Zeus immediately went Omphalos hunting and I spent my first activations taking advantage of Odysseus' abilities as much as possible to gain a bit of a card advantage. This proved important as on some key turns I was able to make big double plays. Man of the match was definitely Heracles. With one attack he decimated the Spartans and almost took down Leonidas with a well placed tree to the face. The minotaur and him were also incremental in dealing vicious blows to Zeus, with his Son ending his father in spectacular fashion (6 wounds in one attack)

Hades also got in a couple of solid hits and I really liked the way he played, staying healthy by the high amount of troops dying.

Game 3: 2 players Apollo vs Persephone
A couple of days later we gathered again for another go at a skirmish, this time also using the stuff from the Pandora's box. We were a bit overwhelmed by the choices and I didn't feel prepared going into the draft. After the draft, I realized I'd made some pretty bad decisions and was doomed to lose. But I'll talk more about that later. Here's my force I ended up with.

I was opposite Persephone, with Medea, Cecrops, Arachne, Dragon of thebes, and I think one more thing which I keep forgetting. I wished I would have paid more attention to the drafting process, because I was definitely outsmarted here. Persephone was hard to get to with the dragon and Cecrops always close and Medea in the back with her heal ability. That coupled with the movement crippling and Gem Collector from Arachne, made for a pretty quick game where hardly any significant blows were dealt. To be honest, I felt really stupid after the game and vowed not to make the same mistake again.

Game 4: 3 way battle between Aphrodite, Hermes and Hecate.
A couple of days later saw our first 3 person game, something I'd been wanting to try forever as I wanted to see if the game was going to be fun at higher player counts. Oh man, this was just great. The draft with 3 people went pretty smooth and with me on last pick for divinity I chose Aphrodite. (by now we just decided to pick a predefined number of cards from each type and draft with those. I really liked the force I ended up with:

Our Hermes player (new) ended up with: Cerberus, Leonidas, satyrs and Medea.
Our Hecate player's force consisted of: The Gryphon, Cecrops, Hyppolyta, the amazons and the toxotai.

The game was really tense and interesting, a completely different Dynamic then with a 2 player game. My Hydra was planted firmly in the surroundings of most of Hermes' clumped units and got rid of the satyrs and Leonidas early on. Hecate took an early 2 omphalos lead with the gryphon acting as omphalos delivery system. I moved my units to claim several Omphalos in quick succession to make sure Hecate didn't run away with it. Hecate's player then shifted his focus on taking out Hermes, who he perceived as pretty weak defensively. (don't know if I agree, but still) with Hermes grabbing some Omphalos in the meantime as he darted across the board. I decided to play the long game and struck after the first deck cycle, with a big hand and enough Aphrodite activations to quickly absorb 3 Omphalos. When Hermes went down it was all but too late for Hecate and her followers as soon the last omphalos was absorbed. Great game, with some pretty good tactical play on occasion from each side.

Game 5: 2 player game Hera vs Zeus
We ended the night with another 2 player brawl, where I went for Hera to see if I could exploit the 2 additional RP I got.
With the monster selection not completely to my liking, I decided only to take 1 and focused more on heroes:

My opponent had: Zeus, the Nemean Lion, Medusa, underworld warriors, Arachne and Icarus.
One thing apparent from this was that my opponent didn't take art of war cards into account enough. That's why I snagged Echo with my last 2 points and decided to give that strategy a try. What I ended up doing was the following. Run echo up asap with support from Polyphemus and Diomedes. Then use Achilles and Ployphemus's mighty throw abilities to clump everything together as much as possible. This meant he was spending aow cards for a lot of different units thanks to echo's ability which gave me plenty of time to collect omphalos and close out the game pretty easily.

My thoughts so far:

After 5 games I have the feeling that I'm getting a pretty good grip on the rules, which helps explain the game to new players. I have only seen a portion of the available options but that gives me plenty of opportunity to try new things, which I really love about this game.
The draft portion is really important and I dare say a game can be won or lost by a draft if you're not careful.
As a game system, I am really impressed so far. The dice mechanic took some getting used to for me, but it feels pretty elegant actually. I like the balance between monsters, heroes and troops and I strongly disagree with some people's opinions on troops being nothing more then a speed bump. Pairing the right things together gives pretty good benefits and toying around with talents can spell doom for an unsuspecting opponent.
The production quality of the miniatures is insane. I come from a long history of Warhammer/Warmachine and I have to say that the team did a terrific job considering (mostly) everything is a one piece model.

I do have some gripes however:

The card quality is abysmal. I understand that with this many cards in the game I shouldn't expect cards with Linen finish or anything, but these are just not up to par. I plan on sleeving them, getting rid of the issue but I do feel this could have been done better.
The stat clips are a bit lackluster. I like the functionality, but somehow I would have liked them to be a snugger fit in the dashboards.
The rocks: Seriously, what where they thinking.....

With all of these things being minor issues in a wonderful game I can only conclude with saying I love Mythic battles and I can't wait to explore more of it.

Sjtollie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGuire
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Impressions and session notes after my first 5 games
Excellent read and cool pictures! Thanks for writing these up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny stoll
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Impressions and session notes after my first 5 games
thanks man, I really appreciate it. I've played another game today (4 player 2 vs 2 ) but sadly forgot to take some pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny stoll
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 6: 4 player team game
For my next game I managed to get a group of 4 together during last weekend's game day. One of them had played before, the rest were drawn in by the gorgeous miniatures. As my phone was dead at the time, I didn't take any pictures of this game. Army composition is also from memory, but I'm pretty sure it was as follows:

Me: Hades, Cerberus, Atalanta, infernal artillerymen and hell warrirors.
My teammate: Artemis (with hounds), Minotaur, Erychion, Lycaon

Opp1: Ares, Belerophon, Medusa
Opp2: Pan (with Satyrs) Gryphon, Achilles, Marsyas

The Ares player shoved Belerophon and Ares down my throat really early on, but due to some bad rolling on his part, he failed to wound Cerberus even once in his first 2 attacks. Cerberus and the infernal artillerymen wreaked havoc on his forces and Belerophon went down after a massive 4 wound activation by the artillerymen. On the other side of the board, Pan used some shenanigans to get an early omphalos. Artmeis had some issues positioning but she did manage to wittle Pan down gradually. I timed Hades' entering just right in my opinion as I got to put him in the thick of things with Ares, just before units started dropping left and right, keeping my boss nice and healthy and my hand nice and full. I managed to Down Ares with concerted effort of Cerberus (on 1 health) and Hades, but in the meantime the opposing team was on 3 omphalos. With a last ditch effort to mighty throw Pan away from his omphalos failing, our opponents took the game.

Thoughts: I really like the teamplay variant, but as some have already mentioned I am going to tweak it a bit. 4 omphalos per team is a piece of cake under the right circumstances. I think I'm going to go with 6 per team as a house rule for now. I think that way makes winning by deity kill a bit more viable in this game mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny stoll
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 7: 3 player free for all
for last night's battle, we all wanted to try something new and so we did. This was the first time using the drafting tool from decksforge and I have to say I really liked it.
My force can be seen below:
Hephaestos, Agamemnon, Colchidan Bull, Prometheus and the lava golems.

My first opponent really wanted to use a Titan in this game, and he ended up with: Kronos, Chiron, Orpheus, toxotai, Centaurs
Our third player played with: Athena, Acamas, Aeacus, mechanical warriors, satyrs, hoplites

We played on the Map from the Hera expansion, with the giant tree in the middle. The map was really nice, but definitely in your face, with large areas for units. Kronos hit the board early and lumbered towards my forces. I decided to take the threat head on and send in Prometheus to deal with the titan. Agamemnon gave me a lot of art of war cards and I wasn't afraid to use them early on to gain an advantage. Athena moved around the board trying to get some quick omphalos, but was hindered by Orpheus. Acamas was wreaking havoc on my bull and Agamemnon, whom I had failed to keep safe. On Prometheus second activation I almost one-shotted Chiron. I then got back all my art of war cards with Prometheus once per game ability. After a couple of rounds, Prometheus and Kronos were slugging it out and I dealt a whopping 5 wounds in one turn to the big man.
I had put the lava golems, Agamemnon and Hephaestos in the same area, hoping to benefit from the no Area attack rule of the golems. Sadly for me, Acamas had a different idea and he killed Agamemnon, threw the golems and Hephaestos to different areas. In his next activation he killed the bull. Ouch!

With hephaestos now close to Kronos, I used my multitude of art of war cards to use my ability to keep Kronos down. In the end I recalled my golems who then went on to deliver the killing blow to the titan.

Woot I killed a titan!!

My victory was shortlived though, as Hephaestos was now badly wounded and Athena was now free of Orpheus's trap. She and Acamas double teamed my god and I barely survived the assault. A now completely healed Prometheus Threw another piece of scenery around, hitting Athena for 6 wounds. Hephaestos got in a lick as well, putting her down to three. With Acamas going next he picked up a column and hit it over hephaestos head, felling the master of the forge.

Thoughts:

This battle was just amazing. Tight from the beginning and pretty evenly matched. Kronos was scary and I had to invest a lot of resources in killing him. Athena's player bided his time and had a star player in Acamas. What a beast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.