GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,211 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attacking a Borg World rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to check that when invading a Borg world, the world only rolls dice equal to the number of structures when it attacks the ships invading it?

It seemed pretty easy to take back a borg planet (with no cube in orbit) but the 9 dice rule only seems to apply to Borg cubes. Did I miss something in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davon Collins
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Would this be more aesthetically pleasing if it were blue?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Leigh

I believe you're correct regarding the number of die. The challenge of attacking Borg worlds is that you must completely annihilate or overwhelm the planet - you can't wear them down as you can other planets (e.g., destroy a node one round, another node next round, until you've conquered the planet). Also, the Borg *gain* a node each round of combat (up to max of 3 nodes) and their shields increase each round.

Basically, as with the cubes, it's "go big or go home" when attacking Borg worlds.

-D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Unless a defenseless Borg World with no nodes appears due to a Borg World Exploration card right before your eyes, and you still have a Command left to attack it with (see my session report coming up on the expansion board soon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davon Collins
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Would this be more aesthetically pleasing if it were blue?
mbmbmbmbmb
A defenseless Borg world?! Poor thing! Won't someone *please* think of the children?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Senatus1980 wrote:
A defenseless Borg world?! Poor thing! Won't someone *please* think of the children?!

Borglets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Senatus1980 wrote:

Q-who?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mbmb
Leighbob wrote:
Just want to check that when invading a Borg world, the world only rolls dice equal to the number of structures when it attacks the ships invading it?

It seemed pretty easy to take back a borg planet (with no cube in orbit) but the 9 dice rule only seems to apply to Borg cubes. Did I miss something in the rules?

Don't forget about Borg Planetary Shields.
Each Green Node adds +1 shield modifier. (Borg rulebook Pg14)
When the spire is full, it will be hard to get 4 hits through (5 with Cube).
The first 2 solo games I played, I missed that rule. They are very difficult to take back with 3 shields. It's better to wait for a Cube to pop from the spire, kill the cube, then attack the spire.

Edit: So the "gotchas" of attacking a spire are:

1. It's all or nothing. If you fail to get hits equal to or greater than the # of structure, nothing is destroyed.

2. Each green node adds +1 shield modifier.

3. Each round adds a green node to the spire increasing its shields (and accelerating new cube production). You better kill it in 1 round, or have very high weapons tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.