BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Would you buy games in this stituation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I received a gift certificate for Christmas. The store has some good games at fantastic clearance prices. But I can't image a situation where I could get them to the table in the foreseeable future. There are some non-gaming items I would be happy to spend the gift certificate on, but nothing that really excites me.

Would you buy the games knowing they might never get played... at least not anytime soon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Something for the rag and bone man...
badge
No soldier outlives a thousand chances. But every soldier believes in Chance and trusts his luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely buy games at a great price, even if I knew they wouldn't get played in the near future. If you don't mind me asking, why won't they get played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bennett
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have definitely done this in the past. I bought Lords of Vegas knowing full well I'd have difficulty finding players for it. But it looks like great fun, it was on sale (though not a steep discount) and I had a gift card. So there it sits. Maybe someday....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ALSB wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, why won't they get played?

A combination of

- They aren't exactly the right type of game for my friends

- We have limited amount of gaming time, a massive backlog of games we want to try and yet we still tend to play the same games over rather than new stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
ALSB wrote:

A combination of

- We have limited amount of gaming time, a massive backlog of games we want to try and yet we still tend to play the same games over rather than new stuff.

Buy the other stuff. Sounds like you don't need more games, no matter how shiny and awesome they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flip a coin. Whatever answer you’re hoping for while it’s in the air is the answer you go with. Personally I’d go games but I like the shiny even if I have to arrange an event 8 months later to play it (Mega Civ caused that one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get something with minis and start painting. You'll sooner or later either have a beautiful piece of art or the knowledge that you hate painting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just buy card sleeves. Easy choice, for me at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Ehh, maybe wait? If the gift card going to expire? Maybe later something you really want is available.

Or send the card to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy games in all situations.

Seriously, though, I often buy games even though they may not get played by others. Desire over practicality.

As for you, you must sort through your own internal conflicts in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barx M
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are at clearance and they are something you would enjoy playing then get them. You never know when a friend will pop by and you can play something new and shiny directly off of your shelf.

And if nothing really interests you then just save the certificate for your next "must have" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm a little dismayed that some suggestions here are favoring buying games that you probably might not play, instead of a more realistic and practical use of the gift certificate.

It feels like, in Monopoly, recommending buying the Community Chest "Get Out of Jail Free" card that your opponent is auctioning for $10, when you already have the Chance GOOJF, instead of getting Mediterranean or Baltic title. It's not just a good play, coming from gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
+1 Sleeves

or anything else that improves your gaming experience, such as storage solutions, playmats... I was going to say snacks and beer, but then I remembered two things:

1) I don't know whether your game store serves beer

2) I don't know whether MY game store permits using gift certificates/store credit on beer

Now I've got a new mission: learn about how to improve my gaming experience with beer bought by gift certificates...

Rabbit = chased
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
ppsantos wrote:
I'm a little dismayed that some suggestions here are favoring buying games that you probably might not play.

Board games don’t expire. OP doesn’t necessarily need to play them this week. I gladly own a few games that I play once a year, and look forward to playing them the next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Pete (didn't get past the fourth word of the subject line)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
I received a gift certificate for Christmas. The store has some good games at fantastic clearance prices. But I can't image a situation where I could get them to the table in the foreseeable future. There are some non-gaming items I would be happy to spend the gift certificate on, but nothing that really excites me.

Would you buy the games knowing they might never get played... at least not anytime soon?

I have done in the past. HOWEVER they are games I want to get to the table and hope that it will eventually. (Most of these have for me, it's just that we are talking in years).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do this all the time. There are games that I'd really love to play, but sometimes they're heavy or take a long time to play. If they go on a great sale, that's the perfect reason to pick them up. Eventually, I'll find someone interested in playing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
perhapse use it to buy games you can use to trade and get the game you want?
A lot off people have games for trade here on the geek.
I have bought games in the past to complete a trading deal.
sometimes it was because I could get a good deal or the game was becoming out of print and the other person could not secure a copy.

just something to think about...

and don't buy the game first try to figure out a trade deal then buy the game (reserve it at the store if possible). And yes you would need a good knowledge of what is available in said store
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
ALSB wrote:

A combination of

If you don't think the games will make it to the table, spend your money elsewhere. I know that the upper max time of a game at my house is about two hours. So when I see a game that lasts 180 minutes, no matter how cool it is or what a great deal it is, I don't even pay attention at that point. Perhaps those parameters will change in the future, but until they do, I'd just be wasting my money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools

If possible what about getting expansions to the games you're group already enjoy and play regularly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I wouldn't buy a game if I was fairly sure I wasn't going to play it soon (soon would probably the next year). Pretty much every game I've bought or been given I have played within a week (with one exception which was an expansion I bought as it was on special offer which I didn't play for 6 months or so because I wanted to play previous expansions for that game first).

If a game was in a clearance and I was fairly sure I would play it in future but not in the next year then I might buy it. I can't imagine that situation happening for me though because I can't think of a type of game that I wouldn't/couldn't play currently that I would play in future. Actually maybe partnership trick taking games.

Of course you can do what you like. If you like playing solo games*, like looking at new games even if you can't play them*, enjoy collecting games etc then you may come to a different conclusion to me.

* I don't dislike solo game or looking at new games, but mostly if I have some free time my wife is happy to play a game and I'd much rather do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you going to feel in a few year’s time when you look at your game shelf and see these unplayed games? Are you a collector, who will be pleased that you own them? Are you an optimist who will still see them as the potential to play good games down the line? Or are you a pessimist who will see them as a reminder of your failure to get them played?

There’s no right answer here... but be honest about who you are and what these games will mean to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that I am becoming somewhat of an acquisitionist so I might buy those games in this situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
What's the likelihood of finding new friends/family who would like those games?

EMBison wrote:
Maybe it's time to commit to one of the challenges:
Explore Diversity 100x1
Get Your Magic Number to Zero

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Would you buy the games knowing they might never get played...

Not to come across as snarky, but I don't know what you expect for an answer. You're going get something like a third of us saying yes, a third saying maybe/tell me more, and a third saying no. We're all here with dramatically different reasons for gaming, interest in the hobby, and tolerance for acquiring/collecting vs playing.

Me? I've had more than 1,100 games in my collection at one point. Been gaming since the late 1960s. Seen and played several thousand more titles in my lifetime of gaming. There's a reason I reduced my collection from 1,100 to 80-something.

So to answer your question, "Would you [that is, me] buy the games..."? No. Probably never going to bother playing them, thoroughly happy with my now smaller collection of the games I really love, and therefore a waste of money. Other people though are going to be 100% yes, buy those suckers.

The better question would be for me to ask you ... "Would you buy the games knowing they might never get played..." Why would you buy new games that might not get played for a while to just sit on your shelves? I couldn't say, really.

BTW, Bryan answered the question well, with less snark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.