GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,528 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Fog of Love» Forums » General

Subject: If you don't have someone intimate to play with? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant F.
msg tools
I wonder if this game can be played by two nearly strangers instead of spouses, or significant others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
I see no problem at all...if both parties know what they're in for and willing to try
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you can play this game without a real significant other without any problems and enjoy it. My first demo was with a guy I knew but not that well, and I backed the game after that...

On the other hand, I do believe playing this with a life partner probably adds to the enjoyment or at least makes it a different experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Oiler1 wrote:
I wonder if this game can be played by two nearly strangers instead of spouses, or significant others?

You are creating unique fictional characters that have nothing to do with your "real-selves", so you don't need to play with a spouse or significant other to play this game. Just need two people that want to play ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you are playing with someone who thinks this sort of game sounds fun, you should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
Sure you can! When you boil it down, it's a game about using cards to figure out what the hidden trait cards are in front the other person. The story cards force you to discard your win conditions until you only have two available, so you're constantly reevaluating how confident you are in your knowledge of the other person's traits and ability to hold onto their points and your ability to hold on to yours.

You can play it without even reading the words on the cards and just look at the arrows and hearts and still have a game there. True, you'd lose some of the laughs and some of the fun, but it'd still be an actual game to play and try to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:

You are creating unique fictional characters that have nothing to do with your "real-selves", so you don't need to play with a spouse or significant other to play this game. Just need two people that want to play ...

It is fair to point out that the name "Fog of Love" implies heavily that the game is similar to other "couple's games" where it's about getting to know someone, or toying with your own relationship.

You could also have called it "Romantic Comedy Sim" and that covers the basics of what the game is without that baggage....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
msg tools
Playing it with a non-partner just makes it funny. I'm so looking forward to playing it with my most-uncomfortable friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as they into the theme, totally fun. I am trying to play it this year with 10 different people and I don't know 10 different people. I am hoping to find a few strangers at the game store to rope into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
The solo forever alone expansion would be a great idea. Solving crisis like, "bored" or "sore wrist" with an automata playing cards against you like "nacho craving hits"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Oiler1 wrote:

My wife and I played through the tutorial last night. I can confidently say that it is FAR more important to play with someone that is into the theme and role-playing in the game, than it is to play with your spouse or significant other.

This is an odd game in the terms of how you feel and think when you play it. It's NOT a game where you ever think I'm winning, and in fact at the end there really isn't any winners or losers. This can be pretty jarring for people that are used to playing most popular games today (ever?).

I'm really curious to move on from the "scripted" tutorial, and get into a "real game" of this to see how it really plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Dark63 wrote:
The solo forever alone expansion would be a great idea. Solving crisis like, "bored" or "sore wrist" with an automata playing cards against you like "nacho craving hits"

The Real Doll Solo Expansion ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.