Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hypothetically, could a heavily mutated parasite evolve into a macro-organism? It’s not really clear in the rules as far as I can tell. It says microorganisms can, but only describes doing it from a Refugia placard.

Also, at a glance it seems rather likely (close to 40% maybe) for a marine macro organism to swap to terrestrial and then experience a drought event before you have a chance to do purchase organs, thus leading to extinction unless you had more than one boint. Does that sound right or have I got something wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parasites can't become macro by themselves.

Becoming terrestrial is a risky business, and transitioning is therefore a major decision point - it'll put you over the top in VP, but not if you immediately die.

You can mitigate the risks somewhat, if you have the appropriate macroorganism, and endosymbiont bionts on your card (if they provide drought protection). If you have enough bionts on the card and available catalysts, you may well be able to purchase organs on the terrestrial side as well.

The choice of where you stick your bionts is central to Genesis - anything you're serious about really needs at least two bionts, but doing so means trading off options, and risking them all being lost by concentration (playing "tall" versus "wide").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skies wrote:
Hypothetically, could a heavily mutated parasite evolve into a macro-organism? It’s not really clear in the rules as far as I can tell. It says microorganisms can, but only describes doing it from a Refugia placard.

Also, at a glance it seems rather likely (close to 40% maybe) for a marine macro organism to swap to terrestrial and then experience a drought event before you have a chance to do purchase organs, thus leading to extinction unless you had more than one boint. Does that sound right or have I got something wrong?

There are currently 2 propositions of variant rules.

Macro-parasite chimera variant
Macroorganims purchase by parasite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
Yeah, if you can wait for the last turn to go terrestrial, that's the way to go. It becomes a bit of a game of chicken to see who goes first to get the trophic bonus sometimes, but thems the breaks.

Or you get the guy who smacks the parasite on you at the last minute just to spend the catalysts you needed to go onto the land....

But that's why you threaten withholding snacks and a ride home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wait, do parasites count as microorganisms then? Because in all other ways they do, except for macro organism purchase? It seems like, if you had the 5 or so mutations (despite UV) you could.

This rule book is so confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parasites are microorganisms in all ways, except that one, yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reyes
msg tools
mb
From the Living Rules:

Quote:
H3. MACROORGANISM PURCHASE <advanced> (Bacteria only)

Also, under H3:

Quote:
By spending a Catalyst (any color), purchase an available card on its unpromoted (marine) side. Place it in portrait orientation on top of a Bacteria Placard where you have a Biont, replacing its tokens.

Also, under "Purchase Prerequisites", under H3:

Quote:
[...] To purchase a Macroorganism, your bacteria must have this number and color of undiseased cubes.

I'm gonna go for no, you can't turn parasites into macroorganisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don’t think my rules say bacteria only. While it does say those other things, you can easily place the macro card on top of the virus card and give the diseased cubes back. I actually thought you could, but I wasn’t sure I didn’t see anything addressing what happens to a hyper parasite in that case, and I also couldn’t find anything that actually said a parasite was a microorganism. I just sort of inferred it from the mutation examples.

And the rules switch between calling things thematic names (chromosomes, genes, etc) and component names (cube, biont, etc) so much it’s really hard to follow. Even more so because there aren’t images. It’s probably easy for a bio guy to remember what’s what, but for me the rule book is hard to read because it spends as much time on theme as it does mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reyes
msg tools
mb
I know things shouldn't be this way, but don't use the printed rulebook, and use the Living Rules instead: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k8_ya9OkaaFF1MteOpTF349y..., they're updated constantly.

Try to ignore the theme during the learning process, it will be easier for you and your gaming group. You'll see that the game goes very quickly after you understand how the game goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quickly scrolled through the living rules and still seems pretty close to the 2nd edition. I think i will go with the 2nd ed rulebook for now. I know all of Phils games have living rules, but i don't have the time and energy to constantly keep updates for all of them.

I will read the updates for HF, but everything else has to live (or die) by the printed rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RitterFips wrote:
I know all of Phils games have living rules, but i don't have the time and energy to constantly keep updates for all of them.

Once I get my copy of the game (and can see what's in the printed book), I'm planning to post a file containing a summary of content changes between the two (basically an Errata document) so that people don't have to hunt through the living rules for colored text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.