7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: LoveCraft Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lachlan Graham
msg tools
Hey All,

I just wanted to get an idea of what games people think are good that share the lovecraft theme. My friend has the Eldritch Horror Game, which I have not tried, but it looks pretty cool. The Arkham Horror: The Card Game looks cool as well. I also own Gloom and Bloodbourne, which bot I quite like. Are there any other games I am overlooking or any games anyone else recommends?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
just kidding
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems Mountains of Madness got its fanbase.
There is also Arkham Noir: Case #1 – The Witch Cult Murders, but I havent played any of them.
Also Cthulhu Wars is a big thing and Mythos Tales.
There are tons of Lovecraft games out there.

All games deal with the mythos, but you have to figure out by
yourself, which gives you the mood and chills of Lovecraft stories.
For me Mansions of Madness: Second Edition does the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have Arkham Horror: The Card Game, though I am tempted, but I flinch from jumping in because of a terrible affection I had with Magic: The Gathering in the 90s.

In my book, Arkham Horror captures the spirit of Lovecraft's novels very well.

I haven't played Mansions of Madness: Second Edition, but it also looks very interesting.

Elder Sign is a dice game similiar to yahtzee with a strong Lovecraftian theme. (There is the fantastic app "Elder Sign: Omens" for mobile devices, too.)

Eldritch Horror is nice, but it feels more like an Indiana Jones adventure with some Lovecraft monsters.

There is a list of Cthulhu-themed games:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/5141/cthulhu-m...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

A Study in Emerald
A Study in Emerald (second edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a big Lovecraft fan, but have played Call of Cthulhu back in the day with people who were VERY into Lovecraft (creators of Pagan Publishing/Delta Green/Unknown Armies). Mansions of Madness: Second Edition does a good job of replicating that imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james mayr
Switzerland
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Arkham Horror
AH is one of my favorite cooperative board games. But you can't play the game on a nice summer day (In my opinion). It's the perfect game for a foggy November day or the evening: They you really feel the dark atmosphere of AH.

I haven't play eldritch horror, but people said, that EH is more streamlined than AH but AH is more story oriented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schlueter
United States
Litchfield Park
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am quite a big Lovecraftian horror fan, especially in gaming. I can second all the love given to Mansions of Madness 2E. It’s a great co-op, very story driven, and very puzzle filled.

I have been lucky enough to play Cthulhu Wars a couple of times. It doesn’t have the creep factor of other Lovecraftian games, but moving a statue of an elder god across the board to screw with your opponent has a lot of fun to it. It really is a blast to play!

Now, one that I have played that I was expecting very little out of but ended up being a tight, tense, and very streamlined experience was Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu. I thought the theme would just feel pasted on but it really works well. It’s like Arkham Horror but faster and less fiddley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.