Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giacomo Fusetti
Italy
Turate
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello,
I have a question about the Butcher's Hack City.

If his first picking choice (closest threat, facing) is a character that is still too far away for his movement, I suppose that the Butcher would just move forward closer to the target and would not attack.
The question is: does the target in question is considered to have survived Hack City and entitled to Legendary Lungs?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schaller
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
RAW, technically you would trigger Legendary Lungs, as there's nothing written that specifically says you had to have been attacked in order to count as "survived", as far as I can recall.

However, I think the RAI implies that you had to actually have been attacked (which is how I play the card, personally). Legendary Lungs is a pretty nice boon, and it feels pretty anti-thematic to receive it for free when the butcher does nothing but runs toward you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Porter
msg tools

If it doesn't state 'in range', and there is a threat in front of him - he'll move forward as far as he can and waggle his cleaver in a menacing fashion.

I'd hazard a guess at yes, the survivor survived the angry waggle. (not yet encountered legendary lungs)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
I'd say that it's up to you. If your survivor was targeted but not in range, you can say that you "survived" but let's be honest it s so much fun to be really attacked and survive Hack City to trigger legendary lungs ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Mallow
msg tools
42!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary Lungs is an after damage effect if I recall, so it needs to do at least one damage. If he does attack you and completely misses I don't think it triggers either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
No, Legendary Lungs is after the flow, so RAW you can. But the game specifically states "if you survive", so one can argue that surviving implies taking the beating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
damoronz wrote:
RAW, technically you would trigger Legendary Lungs, as there's nothing written that specifically says you had to have been attacked in order to count as "survived", as far as I can recall.

However, I think the RAI implies that you had to actually have been attacked (which is how I play the card, personally). Legendary Lungs is a pretty nice boon, and it feels pretty anti-thematic to receive it for free when the butcher does nothing but runs toward you.

^This.

I suspect the card's precise wording is an oversight. Certainly Legendary Lungs is awfully nice for just knowing Dash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mbmb
mablet wrote:
Legendary Lungs is an after damage effect if I recall, so it needs to do at least one damage. If he does attack you and completely misses I don't think it triggers either.

Good point. It is "After Damage". I also believe if the Butcher hits you only once with Hack City, you can dodge that 1 hit and he won't roll any further hits since After Damage wouldn't trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riff Conner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As Alessio pointed out up the page, the Legendary Lungs event is not part of the After Damage effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
RAW, you trigger it. RAI, you could imply that the event and the card imply to be beaten by the Butcher, so you can change it to match its assumed meaning. But RAW, you trigger it.

It's like Gorm's Hiccup. As long as there is a survivor in range, it will keep hiccuping, even if one could argue that it should do something else at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kcrandall15 wrote:
I also believe if the Butcher hits you only once with Hack City, you can dodge that 1 hit and he won't roll any further hits since After Damage wouldn't trigger.

That's not how it works; you roll to hit, reroll any successful hits until you failed everything, then roll hit location dice for the total number of successful hits. Then, at the end, you can choose one to dodge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
kcrandall15 wrote:
I also believe if the Butcher hits you only once with Hack City, you can dodge that 1 hit and he won't roll any further hits since After Damage wouldn't trigger.

That's not how it works; you roll to hit, reroll any successful hits until you failed everything, then roll hit location dice for the total number of successful hits. Then, at the end, you can choose one to dodge.

No, it works like this:

you roll the first attack with a speed of 4, and resolve it. If at least one hit damages, you trigger After Damage and enter a world of pain (because you "continue to roll"). You can absolutely dodge the original attack, assuming it hits only once, and be safe from the world of pain.

It would have worked like you wrote if the trigger was "After Hit".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mbmb
(Edit: Oops, I didn't read the previous post carefully enough. I didn't mean to put forward the idea that Legendary Lungs was the after damage effect. My brain was seeing "Hack City" where it said "Legendary Lungs".
Sorry for the confusion).

riffraff wrote:
As Alessio pointed out up the page, the Legendary Lungs event is not part of the After Damage effect.

I agree that after damage has nothing to do with Legendary Lungs. In our most recent Butcher encounter, we currently play it that if you were targeted by Hack City, and survived, even if he can't reach you.
I was just pointing out that After Damage means Dodge can potentially be used to end Hack City. The first time I think we played it incorrectly because we were influence by the wording the FAQ uses.

nobody82b wrote:

The FAQ seems to imply just what you said, but doing it that way would not follow the After Damage rules. The FAQ might appear to contradict the After Damage rules at first glance, but I think it actually does not.
I believe the FAQ is already assuming the Questioner has triggered the After Damage affect, and is asking how to resolve it. It definitely could be clearer. I played it wrong the first time after reading the FAQ.
Dodge in the glossary also states that it cancels the hit and makes it a "failed attack roll". So I would say a dodged hit is not a hit.

FAQ: How do you resolve the Butcher's Hack City card?
The monster controller counts the number of hits, then rolls to hit that many more times. They repeat this until none of the rolls hit, then add all of the hits together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.