Popular Tags: [View All]
John D
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone combine all three games into one, or use https://www.alderacsite.com/2017/11/25/combining-valley-of-t... to go for different styles of play?

I have the original and Afterlife and I'm sort of wondering if there's any point in getting Last Rites also. Obviously it gives more variety and some new types of cards.

I'm a bit of a completionist and own way too many games as it is (I'm sure a few of you can relate) so I've been tempted to get this one to round it out, but trying to be more selective in my game purchases also. It's a constant struggle. Any advice is appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meunier
United States
Woodstock
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's worth owning all three sets. Each has a slightly different feel from the others. Last Rites also introduces new Level-1 cards, which are a nice variation from the previous two sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffrey_a_meunier wrote:
I think it's worth owning all three sets. Each has a slightly different feel from the others. Last Rites also introduces new Level-1 cards, which are a nice variation from the previous two sets.

I totally agree with Jeff, though you know that from reading my Last Rites review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I read it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

There is rich replayability in all versions of Valley of the Kings. But if you play often enough, you may want to spice it up, perhaps by combining some of the decks. My favorite is to use VOTK and Afterlife, throwing out all the duplicates. This doubles the number of unique cards in each color set, making it possible to score an enormous number of points.

Enjoy.

But, hey, you should complete your collection with Last Rites.

Tom Cleaver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I went ahead and got it ordered. You guys are doing nothing for my acquisition disorder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a dubious review for it, but then got a copy and was really impressed at how the game changed with the different starter cards and the fewer sets. It's definitely not just "the same thing again" but it still feels familiar.meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Tarchala
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't combine the sets but I do own all three. I think the artwork is great (subtle and attractive and not overdone). I also like the little facts included on the cards about the history and culture. I think each set has enough of a unique feel and it's a short enough game that I usually play all three in one night, or even best 2 out of 3 of each set in one night. Valley of the Kings marathon...bring it on. This is a very balanced, well thought out game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After many plays we have a short game deck and a long one. The long deck actually gets the most play and consists of cards (without duplicates) from all 3 boxes made into unique sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaoticGemini wrote:
After many plays we have a short game deck and a long one. The long deck actually gets the most play and consists of cards (without duplicates) from all 3 boxes made into unique sets.

Tina,

Sounds like fun. I'll have to try that version.

Tom Cleaver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Be Excellent To Each Other
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaoticGemini wrote:

How did you construct these different decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OliverOil wrote:
ChaoticGemini wrote:

We’ll never know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
OliverOil wrote:
ChaoticGemini wrote:

We’ll never know!

I missed the first time the question was asked, but I see it now blush

The long game was made by looking at what individual sets we liked to combine when we played and grouping them together to form a scoring mega set. It’s a bit like they describe in the rule book under half sets, but instead of the colors matching, ours are grouped by how they work together. (Example: Books & Jewelry is a 10 card set in our long game) My short game is played like a single box of the game, but is made of suits from all 3 boxes. I hope that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stein Surland
Norway
Hokksund
Buskerud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it easy to separate the cards again into the respective expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish there is an app the can randomize the card sets similar to the Dominion app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spilljeger wrote:
Is it easy to separate the cards again into the respective expansions?

As easy as going through all the cards and sorting them back into their symboled sets. It’s easy to tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.