Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 4-6 player strategy game under 2 hours? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dill Bear
msg tools
It's pretty hard to find a strategy game that plays well at higher player counts, particularly at six, that satisfies gamers and non-gamers alike. Yet I often find myself in that situation. My go-to right now is Bohnanza, which is great, but I want to have more options on hand. In particular I want a game with a board that lasts a bit longer than Bohnanza.

So far I've been looking at Medici, Ethnos, and Downforce... what are thoughts on those at six, and is there anything I'm missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Castle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mission: Red Planet was good fun with six when my group tried it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: Click this link and scroll down a bit to see the best Medium and Heavy games best with 6. https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/224746/item/5384694#i...

Longer answer: My favorite medium-length strategy games that play well at 6 include Ethnos, Scythe, Roborally, Cosmic Encounter, Cyclades (with expansion), Risk Legacy (only plays 5), Citadels, Cthulhu Wars, and Lords of Waterdeep (with expansion).
- Great games with 6 that run a bit longer than 2 hours include Dune, Antike, Junta, Conquest of the Empire, and Diplomacy.
- Some of my favorite games that run quite a bit shorter but are great with 6 include Saboteur, Liars Dice, Dragons Gold, Resistance: Avalon, Skull, No Thanks, For Sale, The Adventurers, and 7 Wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BearDot25 wrote:
is there anything I'm missing?

Betrayal at House on the Hill
Shadows over Camelot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Toxic
United Kingdom
Belper
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Dune Express there's some nice versions in the files section, and it's free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno van Mark
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Around the World in 80 Days

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:

Longer answer: My favorite medium-length strategy games that play well at 6 include Ethnos, Scythe, Roborally, Cosmic Encounter, Cyclades (with expansion), Risk Legacy, Citadels, Cthulhu Wars, and Lords of Waterdeep (with expansion).

I believe Risk Legacy only plays up to 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stonemaier Games always handle up to at least 6 players, and are under 2 hours:
Viticulture: EE
Euphoria
Between Two Cities (up to 7)
Scythe (base game is 5, with first expansion it goes up to 7)
Charterstone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 hours... I think you could swing Quartermaster General.

Great game! Few balance issues but fun nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BearDot25 wrote:
It's pretty hard to find a strategy game that plays well at higher player counts, particularly at six, that satisfies gamers and non-gamers alike. Yet I often find myself in that situation. My go-to right now is Bohnanza, which is great, but I want to have more options on hand. In particular I want a game with a board that lasts a bit longer than Bohnanza.

So far I've been looking at Medici, Ethnos, and Downforce... what are thoughts on those at six, and is there anything I'm missing?

Ethnos is real good.
Also viticulture, power grid, 7 wonders, revolution!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Simon
Germany
flag msg tools
+1 for Ethnos. Let me list some of its qualities, wich made it my most played game of 2017:

- Easy and quick to teach
- Accessible even for non-gamers
- Scales well up to six players
- Playing time not influenced by player count (unless you play with 2 or 3 players, then it is shorter)
- Almost no downtime
- High replayability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saad1000 wrote:
ironregime wrote:

Longer answer: My favorite medium-length strategy games that play well at 6 include Ethnos, Scythe, Roborally, Cosmic Encounter, Cyclades (with expansion), Risk Legacy, Citadels, Cthulhu Wars, and Lords of Waterdeep (with expansion).

I believe Risk Legacy only plays up to 5.

You're right. My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Alexander
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Cyclades with Cyclades: Titans expansion. Fantastic game that also allows for team play (2v2 or 3v3). Might be a bit much for "non-gamers" though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Terpstra
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you heard of Ignite?

It's a battling deck-builder with miniatures fighting across a variably built board. It seems like it'd be super heavy but a lot of beginners like it too. Think heroscape meets Dominion.

It's coming out late 2018 (gingersnapgaming.com), but could be a good fit as games usually take roughly 2 hours.

Might be up your alley!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.