Terra Mystica» Forums » Organized Play

Subject: 4p Player Shuffle Series (~1200+ rating) on Fjords v2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Lewis
msg tools
mb
[Stealing Doc's explanation]

We play four games with identical settings, factions and round #1 faction order, with each player playing a different faction in each of the games.

The games will be played with random factions (including expansion factions with a fixed color) on the new Fjords v2 map, including expansion scoring. Note that playing on this map means that these games will not affect your rating.

Details:
a) The games of each series will be somewhat synchronized, especially the placement of the initial dwellings and picking of bonus tiles; after that the start of each round shall be in sync (i.e. if one game already starts round 5 while another is still in round 4, the player starting round 5 should wait. We'll include a generous timer to allow for this)
b) The player with the best result over all four games can consider him-/herself the winner. We'll also see which factions perform better on the new map.

Contact me via BGG mail, or just post here.

Examples can be found in DocCool's game history on snellman - look for game names starting with "PlayerShuffle..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jordan's a good recruiter. I'll join in this even if it probably is a few more games going on at once than I should have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sprockitz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll give it a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody rated 1347 contacted me via BGG and I had to turn him down - your shuffle series would probably suit him better.

Ranior wrote:
Jordan's a good recruiter. I'll join in this even if it probably is a few more games going on at once than I should have.
Just yesterday somebody wrote that you'd only play in one of these...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
Oh, heck. Despite having no experience with either shuffle or Fjords, I'll take a stab at it. What's the worst thing that can happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm in if there's still space. FruityHarris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Lewis
msg tools
mb
And Steve makes 4! Sorry Fruity, next time.

I'll start one game, and assuming the setup isn't super weird, apply that to the other 3 games. Our randomly chosen* factions are...

1st: Cultists
2nd: Yetis
3rd: Darklings
4th: Witches

*I removed the 4 factions from Doc's Fjords shuffle and, admittedly, skipped Shapeshifters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
What color yetis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Was just thinking, if i'm going to be playing people the calibre of Steve, I need to be allowed to pick all the factions... and I definitely would have picked Shapeshifters :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:

Ranior wrote:

Hence why I said Jordan is a good recruiter! He reached out to e via geekmail and said it was fun playing and discussing our league (4-4) this season, and then asked if I'd join him for a shuffle. It was enough to convince me.

Although now that the other players are set, I feel slightly like a lamb lead to slaughter. My rating currently is a 1231 (I'd argue that's a little low for a few reasons, but close enough). My opponents average rating? 1403.

Ah well--the best way to get better is to play games against great players so I really am thankful for the opportunity. I'll consider this shuffle a success for me though if I can manage a few 1st/2nd places in some games, and/or not be worst overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Lewis
msg tools
mb
You have a shot, Ranior! I think your rating will be 1300+ in not too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
By the way if three other people want to join me in a rival shuffle series, let me know and I'll happily organise it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
Ranior wrote:
DocCool wrote:

Ranior wrote:

Hence why I said Jordan is a good recruiter! He reached out to e via geekmail and said it was fun playing and discussing our league (4-4) this season, and then asked if I'd join him for a shuffle. It was enough to convince me.

Although now that the other players are set, I feel slightly like a lamb lead to slaughter. My rating currently is a 1231 (I'd argue that's a little low for a few reasons, but close enough). My opponents average rating? 1403.

Ah well--the best way to get better is to play games against great players so I really am thankful for the opportunity. I'll consider this shuffle a success for me though if I can manage a few 1st/2nd places in some games, and/or not be worst overall.

I might note for the record that I'm not at all convinced I'm a 1400 player outside of tourney settings. I've spent a lot of time focusing on the tournament, and I think in those settings I can compete with anyone; but I've spent much less time on expansion rules and other maps (and none at all on Fjords), so it would not surprise me in the slightest if I'm a good 100 points weaker in this context.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve496 wrote:

I might note for the record that I'm not at all convinced I'm a 1400 player outside of tourney settings. I've spent a lot of time focusing on the tournament, and I think in those settings I can compete with anyone; but I've spent much less time on expansion rules and other maps (and none at all on Fjords), so it would not surprise me in the slightest if I'm a good 100 points weaker in this context.

Mmm, totally makes sense. I'm in the same situation though too.

Still we'll see how it goes. I don't think it's outside possibilities that I surprise myself and perform pretty well. I just don't think it's probable. I think the most likely outcome is that I under-perform compared to the three of you.

Still, literally no one ever got good at a game without losing to better players along the way. I feel pretty confident at the very least, I will be able to uphold that proud tradition. (And in a few more months to years I think there's a good chance I will be to the point where I feel comfortable facing off against other top players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sprockitz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Steve496 wrote:
Ranior wrote:
DocCool wrote:

Ranior wrote:

and I attained my 1400's rating years ago and only base map base factions. I'm also super lazy with planning now. Given that I'm also more like a 1300 player. So bottom line don't pick on me because I'm not a real threat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
Which means the three of us should gang up on Jordan, as we're all clearly overrated and he's the world expert on Fjords!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that "I'm at least 100 points weaker on Fjords" applies to everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Lewis
msg tools
mb
"Don't look at me or my 9000 rating, I'm actually a 900, it's a typo, HE's the real threat!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Caster
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mb
fruityharris wrote:
By the way if three other people want to join me in a rival shuffle series, let me know and I'll happily organise it.

Yes please :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari S
Finland
flag msg tools
kruppy wrote:
fruityharris wrote:

Me too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C TK
Canada
flag msg tools
jsaarhel wrote:
kruppy wrote:
fruityharris wrote:

Me too

I'll try

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sorry, I missed these replies. Sounds like we have 4 so I'll set it up this weekend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
OK I've done it. I promise the faction picks were totally random, but I have to say I'm pretty happy about them :-)

Player 1: Shapeshifters (Grey)
Player 2: Fakirs
Player 3: Yetis (Red)
Player 4: Witches

Games are here if anyone's interested

https://terra.snellman.net/game/FruityShuffle4pFjordsS1G1
https://terra.snellman.net/game/FruityShuffle4pFjordsS1G2
https://terra.snellman.net/game/FruityShuffle4pFjordsS1G3
https://terra.snellman.net/game/FruityShuffle4pFjordsS1G4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oooff, a double sandwich to start! By the way, you can go ahead and assign factions in the admin so people don't have to spend time picking them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ah yes, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.